Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 2nd, 2024, 11:50pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Desert Rat to the Neuro »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   Cluster Headache Help and Support
   Cluster Headache Specific
(Moderator: DJ)
   Desert Rat to the Neuro
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Desert Rat to the Neuro  (Read 456 times)
Phil the Desert Rat
New Board Newbie
USA 

Email

Desert Rat to the Neuro
« on: Jan 18th, 2006, 7:07pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Had my first appt with the neuro today.  After what felt like a cross-examination, he confirmed what I had already been told:  CH.  I was glad of his exhaustive questions, because my GP's diagnosis seemed pretty immediate.  At least now I know.

Had closed MRI done today.  Didn't realize it was such a confined space.  Never been claustrophobic, but that was slightly unnerving.  I guess I was a little weirded out by the thought of blasting my tender, battered  brain with magnetic fields that make certain body jewelry chatter.  The Hannibal Lechter mask was a nice touch, too.

Upped the verapamil to 960 mg per day.  He told me to throw the Cafergot away.  He put me on Imitrex spray (I've read that many of you have found success with this).  He was hesitant about the O2, wanting to give the imitrex a try first.  

PF days, all, and find something to grin about!

--Phil
IP Logged
E-Double
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Are we ourselves?

Edoubleitk   Edoubleitk1
Email

Re: Desert Rat to the Neuro
« Reply #1 on: Jan 18th, 2006, 7:23pm »

I just don't get why doctors will gladly give a medication yet quip at Oxygen.

glad he had somewhat a clue but go get O2
IP Logged

I can't believe that I have to bang my
Head against this wall again
But the blows they have just a little more
Space in-between them
Gonna take a breath and try again.
Not4Hire
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

...WAS PF since Oct.'02, but ...oh my...(CBusters)

Email

« Reply #2 on: Jan 18th, 2006, 7:41pm »

on Jan 18th, 2006, 7:23pm, E-Double wrote:
I just don't get why doctors will gladly give a medication yet quip at Oxygen.

glad he had somewhat a clue but go get O2

hey EE... follow da money. That neuro probably gets a tasty kickback from Glaxo for all the 'trex scripts he writes. Hell, air is practically FREE....

and RAT: do not let yourself get on the Rebound Train with Imitrex if you can get some relief with oxygen. Read up and MAKE yer doc prescribe the O2...

good luck....Steve(notfer)
IP Logged

Mantra: This will NOT kill me...This will not KILL me... This will not kill ME...
maffumatt

Email

« Reply #3 on: Jan 18th, 2006, 8:09pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Phil O2 is O2. If you are useing insurance the O2 will go against your deductable. Mine being 1500 bucks. The O2 you get from places like LinCare costs around $250 a month. You can go to a welding supply company and rent a bottle for a year and it will cost around $99 a year with $15 dollar refills. Do the math. I get my O2 for work at a company called airgas, its awful damn funny that I see their truck at lincare at least once a month.  
Matt
IP Logged
RichardN
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

lastchantsranch   babbleontn
Email

« Reply #4 on: Jan 18th, 2006, 8:44pm »

GET THE OXYGEN!  And save the Imitrex for the attacks the 02 doesn't reach.  You can kill the beast in minutes especially if used early-on in the attack.

How many attacks a day/night are you having?  How many Imitrex prescriptions will he/insurance allow you?

My "E" tanks (the 3' tall tanks you see in the little carts all over the hospitals and in every doctor's office) cost $10 per refill (I keep seven tanks - - - no extra charge for multiple tanks . . . . and get my refills when I'm down to two full tanks)

PLEASE copy the 02 info and take back to the doc . . . . tho' it doesn't always work for everyone, it works for most of us, most of the time.  

Be Safe,   PFDANs

Richard
IP Logged

I can live with the beast as long as I don't have to "dance" with the bastard.
Phil the Desert Rat
New Board Newbie
USA 

Email

« Reply #5 on: Jan 18th, 2006, 9:30pm »

Thanks, all.  I have my followup with the neuro and the GP in 2 weeks.  I'll demand the O2 then.  I'm good with the insurance, so luckily that shouldn't be an issue.  Have printed out the O2 info to take with me.  It is compelling, the number of you for whom O2 works.  Thanks again.

Phil
IP Logged
zwibbs/Scott
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Stay Strong !!!

Email

« Reply #6 on: Jan 19th, 2006, 9:57am »

Re: Desert Rat to the Neuro ------------------------------------------------------------------------ -------------------------------------------ATABOY-DESERT RAT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
IP Logged

There's always light at the end of the Tunnel.
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss