Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 3rd, 2024, 10:11am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « How many mg? »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   Cluster Headache Help and Support
   Cluster Headache Specific
(Moderator: DJ)
   How many mg?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: How many mg?  (Read 438 times)
Chonas
New Board Junior
Argentina 

Can I buy you a drink?

How many mg?
« on: Jan 18th, 2006, 10:20pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

How many mg. each night of Melatonin are recommended when we're not in cycle?.
Thanks in advance.
IP Logged

Here we go again...
E-Double
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Are we ourselves?

Edoubleitk   Edoubleitk1
Email

Re: How many mg?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 18th, 2006, 10:42pm »

When used just for sleep, it is suggested to use 3mg
IP Logged

I can't believe that I have to bang my
Head against this wall again
But the blows they have just a little more
Space in-between them
Gonna take a breath and try again.
burnt-toast
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

« Reply #2 on: Jan 19th, 2006, 2:28am »

Here's some fairly good baseline information.

Melatonin is secreted by the pineal gland, a pea-size structure at the center of the brain, as our eyes register the fall of darkness.  At night melatonin is produced to help regulate our sleep-wake cycles. The amount of melatonin produced by our body seems to lessen as we get older. Scientists believe this may be why young people have less problem sleeping than older people.

Melatonin, as a product, is marketed as a dietary supplement and has not been reviewed by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) for effectiveness and safety.  Hormone supplements may cause different effects on the body than do naturally produced hormones, because the body processes them differently.  An increase in amount of supplements taken can result in higher levels of hormones in the blood than are healthy.

"Studies suggest that... supplements can hasten sleep and ease jet lag, without the hazards or side effects of prescription sleeping pills." Melatonin may have many other uses and has been reported to make people feel better, strengthen the immune system, and reduce free radicals in the body. Current research is underway to determine melatonin's effect as an anti-oxidant, immno-modulator in cancer, delayed sleep-phase disorders, and jet lag. Tests are still under way so there is much to still be learned about melatonin and its effects on the human body.  

The optimal dosage amounts are unknown.  Use caution when taking this supplement.  The appropriate dose can vary enormously from person to person. Start with a 1.5 mg tablet each night before bed-time, and work your way to larger doses if needed.  

According to one report, "10 percent of the users said the hormone did nothing for them, and another 10 percent complained of side effects such as nightmares, headaches, morning groginess, mild depression, and low sex drive.  

"In test-tube and animal experiments, researchers have found that it protects cells, strengthens the immune system and slows the growth of some tumors." Tests with laboratory mice suggest that melatonin might also reduce the effects of aging - but remember, these results are very preliminary. "...Some experts are appalled to see so many people toying with such a potent hormone. One concern is that high doses, while causing no immediate harm, could have unknown long-term effects.  Even one milligram, the smallest commercially available dose, is at least three times higher than the normal amount in the body.

Melatonin should be avoided by women who are pregnant or nursing (since no one knows how excessive exposure to the hormone might affect a fetus or infant); people with severe allergies or autoimmune diseases (melatonin could exacerbate such conditions by stimulating the immune system); people with immune-system cancers such as lymphoma or leukemia (for the same reason), and healthy children (who already produce it in abundance). Women trying to conceive should also think twice about taking the hormone, since high doses can act as a contraceptive." As with any substance introduced into your body, if you have a medical condition you should always consult your physician first before taking melatonin.  

Melatonin is one of the least toxic substances known. People have taken as much as 6 grams (600 to 3000 times the normal dosage) of the substance in carefully monitored studies with no sign of toxicity. Only four complaints regarding melatonin have been reported to the FDA (USA's Food and Drug Administration). The only consistent side effect of high doses has been drowsiness and a slower reaction time.  

Melatonin should only be taken at nighttime, usually about thirty minutes prior to going to bed. If you are traveling on a long trip you may want to take a dosage prior to getting on your flight and a higher dosage pill prior to going to bed. If you commonly sleep during the night, melatonin should not normally be taken during the day - and vice versa - because melatonin plays a role in setting the body's daily clock.  

Natural, animal, or bovine grade melatonin contains the actual extracts of the pineal gland. Because it comes from animal tissue, this grade of melatonin may be accompanied by viruses or proteins that could cause an antibody response. We highly recommend that people stay away from it.  

The alternative is synthetic or pharmacy grade melatonin, which is produced from pharmaceutical grade ingredients. This form is molecularly identical to the melatonin produced in our own bodies, without unwanted extras.

Tom  

« Last Edit: Jan 19th, 2006, 2:36am by burnt-toast » IP Logged

Would the owner of the propane torch, egg beater, pipe expander and vise grips please claim these items. They're lodged in my head and I need the space.
Chonas
New Board Junior
Argentina 

Can I buy you a drink?

« Reply #3 on: Jan 20th, 2006, 9:03am »

Thanks for those answers. I'm trying that stuff and it seems to be working, I'm taking 3 mg, half an hour before going to bed and I do sleep like a log. We'll see how it works in the long run, who knows... maybe I'll be able to skip the next cycle.
IP Logged

Here we go again...
marlinsfan
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

I love this place!

Email

« Reply #4 on: Jan 20th, 2006, 10:31am »

Chonas, I don't take melatonin when not in cycle. I tapered off it about 1 month after my last headache. I took 6 mg for 2 nights, 3 mg for 2 nights, then stopped taking it altogether.

Un abrazo and PF wishes.
Jose
IP Logged
Chonas
New Board Junior
Argentina 

Can I buy you a drink?

« Reply #5 on: Jan 20th, 2006, 3:02pm »

Thanks Jose. It always took me a long time to get asleep and finally get some sleep, that's why I'm trying this and also because I suspect that my so very bad sleeping ability is one of the things that triggers my CH cycles.
IP Logged

Here we go again...
marlinsfan
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

I love this place!

Email

« Reply #6 on: Jan 21st, 2006, 2:25pm »

When I have a hard time sleeping when not in cycle, I make myself a tea with valieran drops (gotas de valeriana). I use about 30 drops in a half a cup of water, and I get great sleep. They are non-addictive, and give much less hangover than melatonin. But they don't keep the clusters headaches away, so when in cycle I only take melatonin to help me sleep.
suerte.
Jose
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss