Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 3rd, 2024, 4:02am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « new here... »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   Cluster Headache Help and Support
   Cluster Headache Specific
(Moderator: DJ)
   new here...
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: new here...  (Read 526 times)
TeresaB
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

new here...
« on: Jan 19th, 2006, 2:53pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

but not to cluster headaches.  My clusters are part of a greater syndrome of autonomic failure, unfortunately.  They can certainly be the most difficult symptom to deal with.

I have been in current cluster mode since September.  Had a doozy last night...one of the worst in a very long time.  Now, I've had a lot of weird and complicated health stuff, and it takes a lot to scare me, but I was a little shook this morning when I woke up and my nose was bleeding a little.  Anyone had this happen to them?

I'm calling my doctor to set up an appointment as I  need better relief.
IP Logged
Guiseppi
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

Re: new here...
« Reply #1 on: Jan 19th, 2006, 5:17pm »

Don't understand Autonomic Failure but have never had nose bleeds unless I thrashed and popped the nose on the head board. I haven't heard of nose bleed being part of the HA make up. Good luck with the doctors visit.

Guiseppi
IP Logged

Why are all sensors, seeking intelligent life, pointed AWAY from earth?
marlinsfan
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

I love this place!

Email

« Reply #2 on: Jan 19th, 2006, 5:51pm »

Hi Teresa, welcome to the nuthouse. I have had nosebleeds, though rarely, after a headache. My last cycle lasted 3 months and I only had 2 nosebleeds that I can remember.

What do you use to abort?

Read this, it has the best info on meds:

http://www.brightok.net/~mnjday/chtherapy.pdf

PF wishes.
Jose
IP Logged
BarbaraD
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Hugs to ya

Email

« Reply #3 on: Jan 19th, 2006, 6:24pm »

Hi T

Welcome to Clusterville.

I have nosebleeds occasionally (I'm chronic) just out of the blue. Usually a lot of pressure and then the nosebleed. Then I may go for weeks or months before the next one. I figure it's just the sinus acting up. Never even brought it up to the doc.

don't panic. CH can do strange things to you. Just when you think you have it figured out - it changes on you. Just hang in there and take it one day at a time.

Hugs BD
IP Logged

What don't kill ya, Makes ya stonger!

TeresaB
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #4 on: Jan 19th, 2006, 7:18pm »

Thanks for the replies.....I've had occasional nose bleeds before, but not associated with headaches that I can recall.  

Autonomic failure....it means that the autonomic nervous system has been damaged and/or quit working in some areas.  This is the part of the nervous system that controls the "autonomatic" functions like breathing, blood pressure, heart rate, digestion, body temp., etc.  For me, it means my blood pressure and heart rates are unstable.  I lack the ability to properly vasoconstrict in some areas, while I'm prone to arterial spasm in others.  Ususally my blood pressure is very low...so low that I can't properly circulate blood and stay in a congestive heart failure-type state.  Without meds, my blood pressure will have extremely high spikes at time, and my heart rate goes wild.

What causes this?  Who knows.  There is the thought that the hypothalumus is involved, which ofcourse, explains the problem with cluster headaches as well.  My favorite description of cluster headaches is the part about them being  a "dysregulation of sympathetic and parasympathetic activity"....that would be me.  I do know that the cluster headaches and autonomic failure came on during a pregnancy following an extremely bad bout of flu/bronchitis.  Go figure.  

I take drugs to control heart rate, rhythm and blood pressure, and by and large, these have helped with the clusters.  My most recent bout before this one was controlled simply by starting a loop diuretic that we suppose help by keeping my lungs clear.  Usually, if I'm having problems with the clusters, I can go up on my beta blocker or other drugs and keep them somewhat manageable....not working this time, though.  Lots of Excedrin seems to help...but this past week they are beyond Excedrin.  When I see my doctor next week I'm going to ask about oxygen therapy.  

Hoping against hope that my 9:30 pm headache tonight isn't like the one last night....really was the worst I've had in months.  Almost as bad as these dreadful things were back before I was on any medication.

IP Logged
thebbz
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Ow,Ow,Ow

Email

« Reply #5 on: Jan 19th, 2006, 10:05pm »

Teresa,
 You mentioned on another post some diuretic therapy.
Nosebleeds are most common when in a dehydated condition. May be as simple as drinking some water. Always good advice. twocents
IP Logged

It wasn't me I didn't do it
TeresaB
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #6 on: Jan 19th, 2006, 10:08pm »

You are absolutely right....and I drink constantly as I have very little saliva.  Ofcourse, being that it occurred this morning when I first awoke that could be an issue.  Since I have given it some thought, I also wonder if the large doses of Excedrin that I've been using are responsible....thats A LOT of aspirin!
IP Logged
thebbz
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Ow,Ow,Ow

Email

« Reply #7 on: Jan 19th, 2006, 10:16pm »

You will need a bubbler for the O2 then. Check out the O2 information.
jb
IP Logged

It wasn't me I didn't do it
TeresaB
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #8 on: Jan 19th, 2006, 10:18pm »

Yes, I've been reading up on that.  I have to admit to personally knowing NOTHING about it, but my husband is a paramedic so I'm hoping that he'll be able to help me figure out the finer points.
IP Logged
jacks920
New Board Newbie
USA 

Keep'in it real

Email

« Reply #9 on: Jan 19th, 2006, 10:18pm »

I had a bloody  noise about 6 times in a one year cycle.  
only on the right side not the left, dr thinks it could be from the MEDS . I thought I was having a anurism but I was'nt that lucky if you know what I mean . LOL......
Hope your ok and I hear this is common in some of us
hang in there.   JACKs

IP Logged
TeresaB
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #10 on: Jan 19th, 2006, 10:26pm »

Yeah, I know....last night I found myself half hoping that if something was going to break it would just go ahead and do it......had a couple of headaches today, but they haven't been as bad.  Only lasted for about 20 minutes each.  Ofcourse, had what you folks call "shadows" all day.  Trying to keep them all at bay....am only up and moving for short periods of time.  Anymore and I'm not getting enough blood to my brain and it sets it off worse than ever.
IP Logged
gobby
New Board Junior
USA 

I wish I had Migrains instead!

« Reply #11 on: Jan 20th, 2006, 1:08am »

Durring my last attack(which i hope is over now) I had at least four occasions where my nose would bleed on the side of my headach.  I think it was probably from blowing my nose too hard durring the attack.  But for what it's worth, I didn't worry too much about it.   Smiley
IP Logged

Things that don't kill us only make us wish we were dead.
sandie99
New Board Hall of Famer
Finland 

Wish it, dream it, do it - inspite the pain!

« Reply #12 on: Jan 20th, 2006, 2:56am »

Teresa, warm welcome! Smiley

I'm so sorry that you have ch... Sad
But I'm glad that you found your way here. Smiley

Best wishes & PF time,
Sanna
IP Logged

CH happends, Live anyway! PF days to us all!

"Do what you can and let God take care of the rest. Leave your heart wide open and always wish for the best" (Sanna Hillu)

"No matter how far out your dreams are, it's possible" (Marketa Irglova)

BarbaraD
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Hugs to ya

Email

« Reply #13 on: Jan 20th, 2006, 6:07am »

T,

word of caution -- The Excedrin will cause Rebound headaches if taken too often. That may be why you're getting hit so often. Might want to let up on them some.  

Have you tried Black Coffee for the shadows. Works pretty well for me. Something about caffeine (vasoconstrictor) helps shadows. Save the Excedrin for the really bad ones.

Hugs BD
IP Logged

What don't kill ya, Makes ya stonger!

Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss