Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 29th, 2024, 12:31pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Possible cycle end? »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   Cluster Headache Help and Support
   Cluster Headache Specific
(Moderator: DJ)
   Possible cycle end?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Possible cycle end?  (Read 574 times)
slhaas
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Possible cycle end?
« on: Jan 26th, 2006, 12:20pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

First off I should update any of you that may care.  I finally gave in and went to the doctor... well, I had to go to the doctor to get antibiotics to end an infection, but it was a new doctor, and while I was there I thought I'd press her for som CH advice.  She knew a fair amount about them, and was very curious to know more, research for me, and use me as a tool to learn about CHs.  This is the exact opposite of how I expected to be treated about it.  I brought up the CHs as a small side-note, and we discussed some ideas for therapy, but I didn't take her seriously enough... I guess.  Within hours I had an RX for Imitrex and a home delivery of 5 O2 tanks with a high flow regulator.  I don't have a rebreather mask, so I don't know if the O2 will be less effective because of that or not, but hey, it's a nice start!

Anyway, I've been taking Imitrex for a while now before I go to bed, and it works wonders to kill the beast when I sleep.  I've noticed that after a few days of imitrex, though, I start to get hit during the day.  If it's bad enough, and I'm at work, I'll take another Imitrex.  Yesterday I got hit, but it wasnt too bad, and I didn't take the imitrex.  There was a kip1 or 2 shadow all evening, and eventually it went away with 2 advil.  I didn't take an imitrex before bed because I wanted to test the thoery that if I get one during the day I may not get one at night.  Also, I have imitrex and )2 in my arsenal now, so it was worth a shot... and I'm trying to detox for a RC seed experiment.  Well, I got no CH at night, and now it's about the time I've been getting hit during the day and no CH.  Could that kip 1-2 hit have been a sign of the cycle ending, or am I just experiencing a lapse in regularity because of my constant imitrex use?  Any ideas?

Also, what is the detox process?  If I dont take an imitrex from 11pm on Tuesday night until say 6pm on Friday night, am I detoxed?  Do I need to refrain from ibuprophen, etc. as well?  Any suggestions on how many RC seeds to try and the best method to effectively take them?

Thanks in advance.
IP Logged
upnover
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Re: Possible cycle end?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 26th, 2006, 6:14pm »

I have been using imitrex for more than 5yrs but only during cycles and onset. I do know that you can build up a tolerance for the drug.  I think since imitrex has such a short 1/2 life  it would'nt be as effective as some others...I have used amerge to help curb the beast during the night,I only take 1/2 a pill before bed to help sleep. As always ck with the Dr. and good luck with your ch
IP Logged

Tom
bassman
New Board Newbie
USA 

learning from all the fools and the sages

« Reply #2 on: Jan 26th, 2006, 6:25pm »

hopefully your at the end of the cycle from my experience my attacks intensify for a week or so before they give up.   good luck
IP Logged

it's all right now...but later?....forget it
thats later. now is now are you going to be here now
slhaas
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #3 on: Jan 26th, 2006, 7:14pm »

They were bad the last 2 weeks, and up from 1 per day to 2 or 3.  Im hoping to detox and try some RC seeds tomorrow.
IP Logged
slhaas
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #4 on: Jan 26th, 2006, 7:17pm »

on Jan 26th, 2006, 6:14pm, upnover wrote:
I have been using imitrex for more than 5yrs but only during cycles and onset. I do know that you can build up a tolerance for the drug.  I think since imitrex has such a short 1/2 life  it would'nt be as effective as some others...I have used amerge to help curb the beast during the night,I only take 1/2 a pill before bed to help sleep. As always ck with the Dr. and good luck with your ch

I need to make a list of drugs to try.  How much Imitrex does your doctor give you?  Mine was scared to give me enough for 1 or 2 a day.  Not that it'd be bad for me, but because they just don't know for sure, since it is intended for migraines and occasional use.  When I told her I'd been taking it every day for over a month without an RX she became more open to it, but wants to try other things like calcium channel blockers, etc.  Any reccomendations?
IP Logged
Linda_Howell
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Hearing is one thing.  Listening is another.

N/A   N/A
WWW Email

« Reply #5 on: Jan 26th, 2006, 7:22pm »

[quote][ She knew a fair amount about them, and was very curious to know more, research for me, and use me as a tool to learn about CHs.  This is the exact opposite of how I expected to be/quote]

You are in a very prestigious position my friend.

Your Dr. wants to know. stuff.........please print out lots of info here to give to him.....re:  meds, 02 etc.

please keep us informed as to your progress with him.

PLEASE!!!!!!

Linda  

IP Logged

Kindness, is gladdening the hearts of those who are traveling the dark journey with us.
upnover
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #6 on: Jan 26th, 2006, 9:04pm »

I get as much as insurance will cover Smiley Which we all know can be like pulling teeth.  I try and stock up when not in cycle. Although now that I have found how well o2 works I'll not be using the needle as much.  I am on varapamil now which has aslo been good. The first time I tried varapamil the mg's were to little to do any good. I am on 480mg now and it's going pretty good. This is considered a low dosage to some but everyone is different. there is also Prednisone (sp) tapers..
IP Logged

Tom
zwibbs/Scott
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Stay Strong !!!

Email

« Reply #7 on: Jan 27th, 2006, 1:07am »

When Glaxo Welcome first came out with Imitrex several years ago---it worked wonders for me ( injection) . I injected myself only when I was being hit, and no matter what I did the damn thing wouldn't go away. With the injection I was able to go directly to sleep. By my next cycle--same thing --it worked---BUT--the next cycle It had become ineffective. I would inject myself then 1 hour later--the beast was back !! This really depressed me because I now knew that these headaches were becoming very unpredictable, and I needed a new approach. This cycle oct-dec., 2005-----I went to a Neurologist and he prescribed Prednisone and Verapamil, with protonix to protect my stomach...It worked------I wish you great luck...but I would ask your doctor about your way of taking imitrex.
IP Logged

There's always light at the end of the Tunnel.
upnover
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #8 on: Jan 27th, 2006, 8:07am »

There is lots of good info on this site read read read

http://www.brightok.net/~mnjday/chtherapy.pdf
IP Logged

Tom
slhaas
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #9 on: Jan 27th, 2006, 9:11am »

on Jan 27th, 2006, 1:07am, zwibbs/Scott wrote:
When Glaxo Welcome first came out with Imitrex several years ago---it worked wonders for me ( injection) . I injected myself only when I was being hit, and no matter what I did the damn thing wouldn't go away. With the injection I was able to go directly to sleep. By my next cycle--same thing --it worked---BUT--the next cycle It had become ineffective. I would inject myself then 1 hour later--the beast was back !! This really depressed me because I now knew that these headaches were becoming very unpredictable, and I needed a new approach. This cycle oct-dec., 2005-----I went to a Neurologist and he prescribed Prednisone and Verapamil, with protonix to protect my stomach...It worked------I wish you great luck...but I would ask your doctor about your way of taking imitrex.

I did, and she was hesitant about it, but also curious.  On another note, I am now 57hrs since an Imitrex pill and 45hrs since any notable CH, and it was pretty mild.  Last night I did wake up and notice I had what felt like a shadow... which has, in the past, been a sign that Im about to get hardcore in an hr. or so, but nothing came of it.  I have been taking 1 3mg melatonin, 1 benadryl and 2 ibuprophen before bed the last 2 nights.  The ibuprophen is really a waste, and I know it, but part of me is scared and desperate not to get hit.  Ive proven to myself that the melatonin and benadryl help slightly, but don't kill the CH, so maybe that's what happened.  

Hopefully Im on my way out for a while from this Nov-Feb cluster, and tonight I plan to do a serious RC seed dose.  I took 15 with no change 2 wks ago, so tonight maybe more.  Any suggestions on my RC seed experiment?
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss