Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 29th, 2024, 11:17am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « New User with Fun Questions »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   Cluster Headache Help and Support
   Cluster Headache Specific
(Moderator: DJ)
   New User with Fun Questions
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: New User with Fun Questions  (Read 563 times)
Massstorage
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

WWW Email

New User with Fun Questions
« on: Jan 30th, 2006, 1:49pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hi!  I came across this site very recently.   I've had the headaches for years now, but only in this most recent cycle have they been especially bad.  

Anyway, I decided it was finally time to do some research.

My question for the moment is:
I've heard about the success that some people have with oxygen.  So considering that oxygen is good, does that mean less oxygen is bad?
Let me explain:  I'm from Boston, with a low altitude and somewhat fesh air.  This weekend I will be starting a week long trip to Colorado Springs, which is at a significantly higher altitude.  I figured higher altitude means thinner air, and means less oxygen.

What do you think about this?  I feel like I'm nearing the end of the cycle, but could such a trip trigger more?  Am I in for an aweful time?
IP Logged
Karla
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

One of Many and Never Alone - Join OUCH

Karlak_1313  
Email

Re: New User with Fun Questions
« Reply #1 on: Jan 30th, 2006, 2:41pm »

I have done extensive traveling around the country and found that the altitude made no difference to me.  The only problem I had was in the deseart states like Arizona, Nevada, New Mexico.  Because heat is a trigger for me and those places just pushed it!  I was in ER several times durring those places while passing through while driving.  Actually my husband drove and I got knocked out for the ride through there.  It was very intense and painful part of a long road trip across country.
IP Logged

Karla
suffer chronic ch
ch.com groupie since 1999
Proud Mom of Chris USMC Semper Fi
pattik
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

northcolor4  

« Reply #2 on: Jan 30th, 2006, 2:50pm »

At the end of spending 10 days at 11,000' in Colorado a couple of summers ago, I had an unusual summer cycle (usually they come in the late fall-winter).  It was also shorter, but extremely intense.  Coincidence?  I don't know, but even the stress of traveling might be a trigger.  One thing you could consider doing is to take along a prescription for O2 from your doc.  I found that tanks of O2 are abundant in the higher elevations out there, probably due to all the high altitude climbers, etc.
Pat
IP Logged

The voyage of discovery is not about seeking new landscapes, it's about having new eyes--Marcel Proust
Richr8
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

It's all about today...

Email

Just a note from a desert dweller
« Reply #3 on: Jan 30th, 2006, 3:53pm »

I've never had a cycle in the summer when it's genrally 100 + degrees for several months.  So, atleast for me, heat does not seem to be a trigger.  Asyou can see all mileages vary.  So share waht yoo find.  Sorry you had to find us, but glad that you did.

Rich
IP Logged

pf wishes,

Rich

...because yesterday is history and you never know what tomorrow will bring.
"Med free"- A few seeds and lots of O2-LG but not great.
ArCane
New Board Old Timer
USA 

Onward through the fog

Email

« Reply #4 on: Jan 30th, 2006, 4:03pm »

Welcome to the board!!  I dont know if altitude has anything to do with CH or not.  However, about 4 years ago I took a trip to Colorado.  It was bad timing because the week before leaving I started a cycle.  I got hit like normal except one day, the day we went up Pike's Peak.  I started to get hit as soon as we started to drive up it.  I had a horrible CH attack all the way up, nothing would abort it.  It lasted what seemed like hours.  We finally made it to the top but it was still going strong.  As we started to go back down the headache kept on getting better and better until about half way down it stoped.  Coincidence?  I dont know.  Lets just say I hated that mountain lol.
IP Logged

Alchemy’s First Law of Equivalent Exchange: To obtain, something of equal value must be lost.
upnover
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #5 on: Jan 30th, 2006, 7:04pm »

I work in the airline industry and have never had a issue with pressure or altitude. The cabin altitude is considered to be 8000 feet and can't say that it triggers anymore or make them anymore intense. .  Hope you have a good trip good luck with the beast.
IP Logged

Tom
Jonny
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Give me a shovel Ill dig my own grave!

WWW Email

« Reply #6 on: Jan 30th, 2006, 8:02pm »

Welcome aboard. im just down 93 from you in Weymouth, I just got back from Arizona......no problems at all flying. I fly alot and never have been hit on a plane....but we are all different.

Up until last year I was chronic for 30 years, so if anyone would be effected on a plane it would have been me I guess, take an abortive with you.

.................................jonny
IP Logged

It is up to YOU to educate yourself and then help your doctor plan your treatment. If you just sit down in front of your doctor and say "make me better" you are setting yourself up for a great deal of pain.

- Guiseppi

Cathi04
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #7 on: Jan 30th, 2006, 8:10pm »

Mass,
Go, have a fabulous time.........and be sure you have artillery with you! really! What's the worst that can happen?? You might have wasted a bit of space in your luggage!
I hope you enjoy every day of your trip, Mass.........oh, and welcome!!!

PF!
Cathi
IP Logged

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but by the moments that take our breath away.
Massstorage
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

WWW Email

« Reply #8 on: Jan 31st, 2006, 12:03am »

Thanks everybody.

I guess we'll see what happens.  And I'll probably end up making that trip up Pike's peak as well, so hopefully I'll have better luck.
IP Logged
TxBasslady
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Bass fishin' is a h00t  It's the catchin' that sux

Email

« Reply #9 on: Jan 31st, 2006, 12:31am »

You didn't mention if you are currently taking any meds for CH.  

We're all so different....it's really difficult to say what will and won't affect you.   What affects one....may never affect you.    

Go on your trip and enjoy!    Take your meds with you if you have any....and try not to worry.    

Jean

IP Logged

How lucky I am... to have known someone who was so hard to say goodbye too.

Take a kid fishin
www.takemefishin.org

I adopted a Vietnam POW/MIA from El Paso, Texas!
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss