Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 15th, 2024, 8:26pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Dealing with CH and other pain »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   Cluster Headache Help and Support
   Cluster Headache Specific
(Moderator: DJ)
   Dealing with CH and other pain
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Dealing with CH and other pain  (Read 622 times)
SophiaK
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Junior
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Dealing with CH and other pain
« on: Feb 19th, 2006, 2:27pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I am new to CH, I have back pain that is severe, caused by injuries sustained over a lifetime.
My question is: I notice that many on th board say not to use ibuprofon because they can cause 'rebound' headaches.  
I awoke at 3:30 this AM with back pain and CH, the CH played out but the back pain wouldn't let me rest, so I took Ibuprofon.
Is this a question of fixing one and making the other worse?
I never had CH until late December. I am taking 80mg of Verapamil and so far haven't recieved any real benefit from it. I had a adverse reaction to Topamax.
From what I see on the message board I could be  
'chronic'.  
IP Logged
Jasmyn
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Mozambique 

Each day will be a new trick in life's journey

JazzdeBeer+de+Beer  
Email

Re: Dealing with CH and other pain
« Reply #1 on: Feb 19th, 2006, 4:01pm »

Welcome Sophia.

I'm sorry you've got CH but glad that you found us.  This is the best place to be.

I'll only comment on the Verapamil.  It takes about 2 weeks to kick in.  If you've been taking it for more than 2 weeks, see your doc again and ask him to up your dosage.  Most of us here use 240mg x2 or more per day to benefit from it.

Read the other posts and the left hand side, there are good information and tips on this board.

Hang in there and wishing you pain free times.
IP Logged

Jazz Wink

Madness is proclaimed by society’s inability to accept its own infallibility
FramCire
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Life like a froward child must be humored a little

Email

« Reply #2 on: Feb 19th, 2006, 9:04pm »

1.  If you have only had CH since December, you are not chronic (yet).  Someone else can get you the definition of chronic but you can't be chronic after having Ch for only 2 months.

2.  My Dr says the AVERAGE cycle is 8 to 12 weeks for an episodic, so you are still well in the norm.  This cycle has been going since November for me.

3.  If verapamil doesn't give you much after you have given it a chance to work, talk to your Dr about going up in your dose.  480 mg/day is quite normal for Ch but VERY HIGH for it;s other use, so Fps tend to be a bit slow in upping the dose.  MUST TALK TO YOUR DR first!!!!  

You can use this link and print it out to give to our Dr if he/she doesn't want to up the dose.  This link is also an extremely good read for you and any Dr that is treating you that doesn't have a lot of experience with CH.

http://www.brightok.net/~mnjday/chtherapy.pdf  

4.  Ask many questions, the people here are awesome.

Welcome aboard!!  Glad to have you, just not glad you have to have us.  To PF days ahead!
« Last Edit: Feb 19th, 2006, 9:07pm by FramCire » IP Logged

You've overstayed your welcome since the day we met but it doesn't seem to matter to you. No medications are your master, nothing makes you fret, it's a helpless feeling having nothing I can do
Kate in Oz
New Board Old Timer
Australia 

339600790 339600790    

« Reply #3 on: Feb 20th, 2006, 5:53am »

Hi Sophia, welcome.

Have you tried magnesium??

I  suffer from fibromyalgia which is a chronic pain syndrome, I find that taking 2x CHELATED MAGNESIUM 500mg in the morning helps with aches and pains.  Sometimes I'll take a couple in the afternoon too if I'm really hurting.

Not aware of any side effects?  Well worth a try I would think and I vaguely  Tongue recall reading somewhere that it can help with CH.

Wishin you all the best,

Kate
IP Logged
marlinsfan
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

I love this place!

Email

« Reply #4 on: Feb 20th, 2006, 10:30am »

Hi Sophia, Like you I also have a bad back caused by a lifetime of skiing hard. Usually harder than I should've. But it has been SOOO much fun....

I have disk herniations at L5/S1, L4/L5, and C6/C7, and disk bulging at C5/C6, C4/C5, and T4/T5. I too have pain every night in my back, and unless I take something, I cannot sleep.

I have been taking Celebrex for some time now. I used to take Vioxx, but that was pulled from the market, then I took Bextra, but that one was also pulled. I now take 200mg of Celebrex 2x every day. Breakfast and dinner.  Grin

I am PF now (from clusterheadaches only), and take Celebrex also while in cycle. It does nothing to prevent or abort the headaches, and it does not affect either the imitrex or oxygen I use to abort when in cycle.

I used to take ibuprofen (600 to 800 mg per night) to help me sleep thru the back pain, but I find that the celebrex is much easier on my stomach.

Just to repeat what others have said, you are not yet chronic. My last cycle lasted 13 weeks, and I have been chronic for 23 years.
IP Logged
Richr8
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

It's all about today...

Email

« Reply #5 on: Feb 20th, 2006, 10:46am »

on Feb 19th, 2006, 2:27pm, SophiaK wrote:
I notice that many on th board say not to use ibuprofon because they can cause 'rebound' headaches.  
I am taking 80mg of Verapamil and so far haven't recieved any real benefit from it. I had a adverse reaction to Topamax.
From what I see on the message board I could be  
'chronic'.

Along with rebound HAs, over consumption of ibupforfen has many undesirable side effects which are well documented.

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/druginfo/medmaster/a682159.html

Your Verapamil dosage does seem low as I like many others here am currently taking 480mg a day. In regards to the Topamax, I too had adverse physiological and psychological side effects which made me stop taking it also.

Wishing you many PFDAN,

Rich    
IP Logged

pf wishes,

Rich

...because yesterday is history and you never know what tomorrow will bring.
"Med free"- A few seeds and lots of O2-LG but not great.
SophiaK
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Junior
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #6 on: Feb 20th, 2006, 11:43am »

Thank you all for the needed support.
I notice when talking about sleep aids (on the message boards) I haven't yet found anyone speaking about  Ambien. Is there a reason for it not to be used?
I took 1/2 an Ambien and 2 Ibuprofen last night and had the most wonderful 7 hours of sleep.
I have  chelated Magnesium here, also riboflavin is supposed to help.
When I see my doctor next Wed (the 8th Mar.) I will certainly ask him up the dosage on the Verapamil. It seems the small dosage is having some effect albeit light, but a noticable difference. Now that I'm taking a full tablet, I'm hoping for more good results.
Topomax is a horror for me. I wound up in the ER because of it and it was only 25mg.  
Seems like so many people react poorly to it, yet there are those that do well. Again, thank you all for responding and giving me some solid information. S
IP Logged
Richr8
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

It's all about today...

Email

If it works, use it.
« Reply #7 on: Feb 20th, 2006, 11:55am »

on Feb 20th, 2006, 11:43am, SophiaK wrote:
I notice when talking about sleep aids (on the message boards) I haven't yet found anyone speaking about  Ambien. Is there a reason for it not to be used?
I took 1/2 an Ambien and 2 Ibuprofen last night and had the most wonderful 7 hours of sleep.

I've been prescribed several sleep aids including Ambien.  Unfortunately none of them worked for me. I finally got some sleep using 6mg of Melatonon.

IP Logged

pf wishes,

Rich

...because yesterday is history and you never know what tomorrow will bring.
"Med free"- A few seeds and lots of O2-LG but not great.
sandie99
New Board Hall of Famer
Finland 

Wish it, dream it, do it - inspite the pain!

« Reply #8 on: Feb 20th, 2006, 12:06pm »

Hi Sophia! Smiley

Warm welcome to ch.com! Smiley
I'm glad that you've found your way here.

Now, verapamil helped me a lot. It sent my ch into remission (I'm a chronic). My dose was 200mg first, then 400mg (at that time I fainted few times), then 600mg (no side effects) and remission. Good luck!

I hope that it or something else will help you with ch. Smiley

Best wishes & PF days,
Sanna
IP Logged

CH happends, Live anyway! PF days to us all!

"Do what you can and let God take care of the rest. Leave your heart wide open and always wish for the best" (Sanna Hillu)

"No matter how far out your dreams are, it's possible" (Marketa Irglova)

Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss