Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 15th, 2024, 12:57am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « memory problems? »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   Cluster Headache Help and Support
   Cluster Headache Specific
(Moderator: DJ)
   memory problems?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: memory problems?  (Read 419 times)
tessa_c
New Board Newbie
USA 

your headhurts? last night i tried to cut mine off

Email

memory problems?
« on: Feb 25th, 2006, 10:33pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

i really didnt pay to much attention to wheter or not i was sufferign from some short term memory problems when i first startet to have ch's.  but for the last 2 years i have noticed that somethings not right.

one day i was ironing and was gettig ready to put up the ironing board when i thought about something in my room.  well i started to walk to the room and didnt realize it until i was there that i was still holding the ironing board.  well i put the board back and by the time i got to my room again i forgot what it was that i was thinking about.

then just yesterday a co-worker made me a strawberry short cake.  i put it in the car ( what was left of it) and went home.  i  wrote a nice little note on the fridge telling my lil sister about it and went to bed.  well when i got up my mom was like you put a note on the fridge but left the cake in the car,

ive noticed alot lately that i have been doing things like this. and was about to order some "focus factor".  Smiley

sometimes my speech messes up to, like when i have bad shadows or right before my "term in prison starts".

can anyone share how they deal with this?
IP Logged

"if you didnt define yourself for yourself, you'd be crunched into other peoples fantasies of you and be eaten alive." audre lorde
AussieBrian
New Board Hall of Famer
Australia 

Got beer?

Re: memory problems?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 25th, 2006, 10:47pm »

A number of meds can affect your memory but I can't remember which ones.  Check the packets for known side-effects.
IP Logged

Vulcrania horrendus - twice daily, then two at night in lieu of sleep.
E-Double
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Are we ourselves?

Edoubleitk   Edoubleitk1
Email

« Reply #2 on: Feb 25th, 2006, 10:50pm »

Whatcha taking?
Sleep depriavtion can also create an increase in brain farts
IP Logged

I can't believe that I have to bang my
Head against this wall again
But the blows they have just a little more
Space in-between them
Gonna take a breath and try again.
Karla
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

One of Many and Never Alone - Join OUCH

Karlak_1313  
Email

« Reply #3 on: Feb 25th, 2006, 11:07pm »

Before my preventative kicked in I was getting hit 8x/day.  Each lasting 1 1/2 -2 hours long with like a 1/2 hr break inbetween them.  I find it very hard to outright impossible to focus or concentrate on anything of value.  I think it is the pain itself that causes memory problems.  Who can think with all that pain Huh  Since my preventative kicked in my memory problems have improved somewhat but I still do have problems but I know it is related to my meds because it is a listed side effect.  Good luck finding some answers.
IP Logged

Karla
suffer chronic ch
ch.com groupie since 1999
Proud Mom of Chris USMC Semper Fi
Dragnlance
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Monster bait

Dragnlance  
WWW Email

« Reply #4 on: Feb 25th, 2006, 11:18pm »

if you are on Topomax, this could be your problem. Topomax is sometimes called dopomax, because it has a habit of reducing your IQ. And as has already been mentioned, lack of sleep over a long period can reduce your brain functionality.  

Dragn
IP Logged

tessa_c
New Board Newbie
USA 

Email

« Reply #5 on: Feb 26th, 2006, 12:08am »

i was on topamax for for 2 cycles (2 years) but only for a couple of months each time.  i take verapamil 480mg a day. imitrex when needed and a tricyclic as a sleeping pill 150 mg when needed for sleep during attacks
IP Logged

"if you didnt define yourself for yourself, you'd be crunched into other peoples fantasies of you and be eaten alive." audre lorde
Chillrmn1

Email

« Reply #6 on: Feb 26th, 2006, 5:56am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

When I used to use imitrex, it was the jabs and I'd use more than recommended, I would experience memory problems. Things like going from the kitchen to the bedroom and forgetting what I went to the bedroom for, similar to what you experience.  

Memory would return soon thereafter after not using imitrex, if I remember right, lol. And how to deal with it....just do the best you can.

edit to add: While in cycle my speech gets slurred also, to the point of almost sounding inebriated.
« Last Edit: Feb 26th, 2006, 6:02am by Chillrmn1 » IP Logged
burnt-toast
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

« Reply #7 on: Feb 26th, 2006, 6:21am »

This topic of memory loss/speech difficulty has come up before.  Each time most replies seem to focus on meds. or sleep deprivation or a combination of the two.

I'll start by saying always discuss these symptoms with your docs. first.  You never know when it could be an indication of something more serious.  Most of us are not doctors - just sufferers & supporters who have some experiences/opinions that we share.      

I'll close by saying that from what I've read in the past mild to moderate symptoms like these appear to be fairly common so don't panic.  I often find myslef making a few extra reminder notes and attempting to speak a little more carefully when these symptoms become more pronounced.

Tom
IP Logged

Would the owner of the propane torch, egg beater, pipe expander and vise grips please claim these items. They're lodged in my head and I need the space.
Bob_Johnson
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #8 on: Feb 26th, 2006, 9:36am »

In addition to looking at meds side effects, little memory lapses like this often arise from anxiety and/or depression.  

Pay attention to your thought patterns during the day and see if you are preoccupied with ideas about cluster--all too common, as you can see from messages here.
IP Logged

Bob Johnson
chewy

Email

« Reply #9 on: Feb 26th, 2006, 12:20pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Could be you are simply preoccupied with the anxiety over the next hit.

What meds are you taking? Wouldn't be topomax would it?
IP Logged
BarbaraD
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Hugs to ya

Email

« Reply #10 on: Feb 26th, 2006, 3:41pm »

I've been on topamax since 99 and short term memory loss is one of the side effects. I write a lot of post-it notes (and I'm old besides so that is one of my other problems). I've learned to take the whole topamax dose at night and I don't have as many memory problems with it as others seem to experience (can't say much for the old age - nothing seems to help it).  

Sleep deprevation will hinder thought, so if you're getting hit during the night that could be a contributing factor also. Exhaustion will cause memory loss. You seem not to be able to think of anything except your head.  

Just try writing notes to yourself (I keep a pad and pencil handy at all times). After a while it will get to be a habit. And I'm sorry, but I just had to laugh about the iron story -- I've done that too many times. Took a skillet to bed with me one night (wellll, I was drying it when I got ready to go to bed... just forgot to put it up... what can I say!). You should see the notes (in BIG letters) on the inside of my front door at the office: Turn off coffee pot; Turn off lights; Lock door; etc. Saves coming back to the office in the middle of the night...

But just remember what my friend Kip always said, "Don't sweat the small stuff - and most things are small stuff!"

Hugs BD
IP Logged

What don't kill ya, Makes ya stonger!

purpleydog
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #11 on: Feb 26th, 2006, 6:20pm »

My memory sucks, and I find myself walking out of my office at work, only to forget where I was going, and why. Or, I'll get interrupted, then I have to ask myself what was I doing. I'm not taking anything that has a side effect of memory loss, so I don't know what it is. When I'm getting hit more than usual, I can't concentrate as much, so I write things down. I don't sleep much, so that may have something to do with it.

Do bring it up to your doc, just to make sure it's not something else. Otherwise, jotting down notes is a good thing. Post-it's stick to almost anything, right Barb? Wink
IP Logged

BarbaraD
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Hugs to ya

Email

« Reply #12 on: Feb 26th, 2006, 7:03pm »

Right purp... Right now I have about a dozen stuck on my sweat shirt... Let's see... oh yeah, cook dinner - knew I was getting hungry... feed the dogs -- oops that's why they're whinning... Smiley  Yep they stick to anything....  

Hugs BD
IP Logged

What don't kill ya, Makes ya stonger!

tessa_c
New Board Newbie
USA 

Email

« Reply #13 on: Feb 26th, 2006, 11:39pm »

yeah ive talked to the neuro about it. he told me that hes had other patients with the same stories.  but you know that you feel better or really believe that its not just you when other people with the same problems can relate.
IP Logged

Mr.YL
New Board Junior
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #14 on: Mar 7th, 2006, 10:49pm »

ShockedAHHH cna't remember. may have to to with ahhh the pain we have seffered and  the way we deal ith it heck I dono, maybe the pschotrops, stress, anxiety, life style, sociaol status, or just the dog havin a bad time. But not to fear as you are not alone cause the keys get misplacesd alot of the times though just remember who you are and what you stand for and were your commin from and make the best af all situations even if it means a depressing time ...and on werd through the fog...
IP Logged

keep livin clean...
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss