Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 14th, 2024, 9:10pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « A question about the beginning of CHs »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   Cluster Headache Help and Support
   Cluster Headache Specific
(Moderator: DJ)
   A question about the beginning of CHs
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: A question about the beginning of CHs  (Read 561 times)
crob_starr
New Board Newbie
Canada 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

A question about the beginning of CHs
« on: Feb 27th, 2006, 4:03pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hi, this is my first post. I'm not diagnosed or anything but I  found this website while trying to find out why I got these bad headaches that attacked one side of my head. By looking at the kip scale I can say I've probably never even reached a 7. And I've only ever had 2 headaches in one day. I just found it odd that I would only get them during Spring time and come Summer I don't have to worry about them. They always seem to be right when I woke up or during mid-morning. A week with four headaches would be a lot. I'd just be a lightweight right now.
     Anyway, I wanted to ask about people's experiences when they first started getting them. What age they were. If they became worse or more frequent when they got to a certain age. I'm 19 right now, and after reading people's stories, I fear that, first, I suffer from cluster headaches, and secondly, they're going to become worse as I get into my twenties.  
   Thanks for reading, and any shared experiences are appreciated.
IP Logged
Guiseppi
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

Re: A question about the beginning of CHs
« Reply #1 on: Feb 27th, 2006, 5:32pm »

I'm 46 and didn't really start getting hammered until I was 20. My mother says I began getting these when I was about 16 or 17. I'd get really bad headaches in my eye. I was given glasses when I was 18 to try and stop the headaches, one of the more common mis diagnoses. If they are cluster headaches, they keep getting worse. See a doctor, get all of the biological reasons eliminated, take the cluster quiz on the board, then hang on for the ride. I pray you're wrong, that you just have a sinus problem that will go away. If it don't go away, stick with this board, there are a bunch of beautiful people and one or two grumps!

Guiseppi
IP Logged

Why are all sensors, seeking intelligent life, pointed AWAY from earth?
Richr8
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

It's all about today...

Email

I suggetst you...
« Reply #2 on: Feb 27th, 2006, 5:59pm »

...take the Cluster quiz on the right to understand  whether or not you suffer with CH.  I hope that you do not.

In regards to my experience, mine started fourteen years ago with a vengenace.  There was no ramping up at all.  Mine went from 0 CH 1 year to full up 3-5 Kip 10s a day the very first year.  They never got any better until I was properly diagnosed 9yrs. later and began receiving appropriate treatment.  

Good luck,

Rich

IP Logged

pf wishes,

Rich

...because yesterday is history and you never know what tomorrow will bring.
"Med free"- A few seeds and lots of O2-LG but not great.
thebbz
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Ow,Ow,Ow

Email

« Reply #3 on: Feb 27th, 2006, 9:32pm »

Hello
Mine started at 19, once in a while usually in the summer, then switched to winter. These are very unpredicable and sometimes begin as you describe.
Always seek professional advice. Keep reading and try an aspirin and a coke the next time before it gets to bad. Caffeine is sometimes effective, this works for migraines as well. Keep in touch and hope you are doing better.
jb
IP Logged

It wasn't me I didn't do it
crob_starr
New Board Newbie
Canada 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #4 on: Feb 28th, 2006, 12:36am »

Thanks for the advice guys. I too hope that it's nothing too serious.  
    I've taken the cluster quiz and I did answer yes to many of the bottom questions. I'm still hesitant to call myself a cluster sufferer though.  
    I'll try that caffeine idea next time, though. It can't hurt to try. Hopefully it's not for a while.
IP Logged
burnt-toast
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

« Reply #5 on: Feb 28th, 2006, 5:55am »

In my early 30's - on an airplane headed to Houston, when I experienced my first attack.  It was so severe and so centered in my right eye/temple/jaw that I thought I was experiencing and aneurism.  As the plane landed the pain subsided and although confused, I thought that was it but...

They've been my constant companion ever since (with a few scattered and very brief remissions).  KIP10 and primarily chronic right out of the box.  

It appears CH decides how to introduce itself to suffers.

Start maintaining a headache journal and get to a Neurologist who understands headaches for a complete professional diagnosis.

Good luck on your journey.  Keep us up to date on you progress.

Tom  

IP Logged

Would the owner of the propane torch, egg beater, pipe expander and vise grips please claim these items. They're lodged in my head and I need the space.
BarbaraD
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Hugs to ya

Email

« Reply #6 on: Feb 28th, 2006, 2:43pm »

Mine appeared in the middle of the night in my late forties (and I'll only admit to being 29). I thought the earth had caved in on me. Had a brain tumor for sure. The next day I was a basket case - even went to the doctor (rare for me). this lasted a couple of months (mostly at night) till I went to a hospital (a teaching one) in Temple TX (Scott and White) and a nice neurologist ran about a 1000 tests and then diagnosed me as a Clusterhead.  

Since then it's just been fun and games....  

Take the cluster quiz and hope you don't have this malady. If it turns out you do -- welcome to Clusterville.  Like G said -- a bunch of nice people and a couple of old grumps, but we're here to help.

Hugs BD
IP Logged

What don't kill ya, Makes ya stonger!

Dragnlance
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Monster bait

Dragnlance  
WWW Email

« Reply #7 on: Mar 1st, 2006, 9:22am »

Sorry you had to look for us, but glad you found us.  

I am one of the really lucky ones as I seem to have been born with the monster. I am 43 next week. If you do have the monster, we can hope that you continue to have the breaks between sessions, and never go chronic.  

PF wishes!

Dragnlance
IP Logged

sandie99
New Board Hall of Famer
Finland 

Wish it, dream it, do it - inspite the pain!

« Reply #8 on: Mar 3rd, 2006, 10:49am »

Hi there!

For your sake I hope that you don't have ch...

But mine started back in 2001 when I was 21. My first cycle was from October to November, the hits were mild and in the very beginning I had 4-5 attacks a week. That soon changed, though.  

Best wishes,
Sanna

IP Logged

CH happends, Live anyway! PF days to us all!

"Do what you can and let God take care of the rest. Leave your heart wide open and always wish for the best" (Sanna Hillu)

"No matter how far out your dreams are, it's possible" (Marketa Irglova)

imnotbub
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

« Reply #9 on: Mar 3rd, 2006, 11:46am »

Myfirst cycle only lasted two or three days(I didn't know what the hell was going on, so I really didn't keep track ) The next was seven weeks long. This is when I thought I was going to die. Now I have found this site, so I can manage anything.
IP Logged

Life may not be good, but I think it beats the alternative, and if it doesn't, we'll find out soon enough
Theresa
New Board Newbie
Canada 

Email

« Reply #10 on: Mar 5th, 2006, 9:50pm »

My first cycle happened about five years ago and only lasted about a week.  The attacks were very mild so I didn't think much about them.  My second cycle hit last year about this time and was much more intense and painful than the first one.  It also lasted a few weeks longer.
IP Logged
mynm156
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

hope life isn't a big joke, because I don't get it

« Reply #11 on: Mar 6th, 2006, 1:30pm »

Hey crob_star,

I am sorry to hear about you current situation.  If I think back the 15 or so years it has been.  I recall it to be kind of what you are saying.  I know that I didnt have them like I do now.  Though I do remember the pain for me has always been pretty high.  I hope that you are not one of us though you are welcome here either way!

Take care and Good Vibes

MYNM156
IP Logged

"Half of the modern drugs could well be thrown out of the window, except that the birds might eat them."
Charlotte
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

« Reply #12 on: Mar 6th, 2006, 3:59pm »

I don't know when this started but the first time I forgot my name, I was 10.  All during my adolescence teachers thought I couldn't hear or that I cheated because I couldn't tell them how I arrived at a solution or was trying to antogonize them by not responding in a way they thought I should, or I got thrown out of class and was not allowed back in without a dr note (Fortunately I had a sinus infection) - but the first time someone stared at me on the street for running back and forth as fast as I could (because I kept changing my mind and I really had to do the next thing) was when I was 22, around 1972.  

During attacks, I still sometimes forget my name and don't respond as people think I should and run back and forth as fast as I can.  I try to warn people (the ones who need to know) when I can, so they don't take it personally.

It did not become worse, but it is just as bad now that I'm older.  

« Last Edit: Mar 6th, 2006, 8:11pm by Charlotte » IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss