Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 15th, 2024, 7:00pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Back after 2 years »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   Cluster Headache Help and Support
   Cluster Headache Specific
(Moderator: DJ)
   Back after 2 years
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Back after 2 years  (Read 473 times)
dejay
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Back after 2 years
« on: Mar 8th, 2006, 8:02pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I hope I'm posting this in right place. I'm back after 2 years, I've been reading boards almost daily for 2 months. Sometimes I get lots of hope, sometimes almost tears.
  I'm 54, first got CH 6 years ago, 1 per night, 1 hour after bed, came in fall, lasted about 1 month. Same thing following year. Doc said sinus infection.
  Two years ago got around FEb., which was like spring here in Louisiana. Doc said sinuses again, I downloaded some stuff from this sight, showed him, he called a neuro, confirmed CH, gave me steriods [dexa], verapamil, imitrx inhalers. Meds helped, but this bout was different, got HA's  in late afternoon, 1 hour after sleep, sometimes several a day, lasted about 2 months.
 Anyway, they're back, since end of dec. Different this time, all the others were "ice pick" through my eye, this time is more my temple,burning, still get clogged nose, eye.
  I thought I was done a couple of times in the past 2 weeks, I'm taking 120 verapamil, 1 at 3:00 pm, 1 at 11:pm., each time I try to knock off 3:00 pm I get hit about 5:30. Haven't had to use imitrex in about 3 weeks, thank God.
 Sorry I'm going on so long, got a million questions, When will they end?, but 1 questions could use some input with. Sinuses, I notice after a HA in the afternoon, my sinuses are a wreck for hours. I also have allergies and everything is blooming here now. Any suggestions on antihistimes? What about decongestants,sudafed. Sometimes I take it and it helps, sometimes it seems like sudafed triggers an attack? Any help on this?
 Thanks
  denny
  Huh
IP Logged
Jonny
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Give me a shovel Ill dig my own grave!

WWW Email

Re: Back after 2 years
« Reply #1 on: Mar 8th, 2006, 8:18pm »

on Mar 8th, 2006, 8:02pm, dejay wrote:
 Any help on this?

My advice is to start reading and dont stop until you know more than your doc, its all here....you just have to read it.  

Welcome home......sorry your hurting!!  

IP Logged

It is up to YOU to educate yourself and then help your doctor plan your treatment. If you just sit down in front of your doctor and say "make me better" you are setting yourself up for a great deal of pain.

- Guiseppi

Kris_in_SJ
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

There's no place like home.

Email

« Reply #2 on: Mar 8th, 2006, 8:18pm »

Hi Dejay and welcome.

First, you should know that colds, sinus problems, etc. are usualy sure fire triggers for particularly bad cluster attacks.

Second, it's not uncommon for cycles to change - in terms of frequency and severity.  Like you, I had an older onset - age 42.  Each cycle seems a little worse, but thanks to this site, each cycle that comes around, I'm a little more educated.

If you haven't yet seen and printed this article, I'd advise you to do so.

http://www.brightok.net/~mnjday/chtherapy.pdf

You probably need a higher dose of Verapamil for starters.  I don't find any decrease in intensity or frequency until I've reached 480mg/day.  Hopefully, you're getting relief from the Imitrex spray as an abortive - if not, you might want to consider autoinjections or oxygen therapy.

Meantime, keep your sinuses as clear as possible - perhaps Benedryl, Claritin, or Flonase Nasal Spray.

Sorry you are suffering so much!  I'm sure more of the family will be around soon to give more advice.

Hugs,

Kris
IP Logged

I'm a small woman in small town being chased by a VERY BIG BEAST!
Jasmyn
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Mozambique 

Each day will be a new trick in life's journey

JazzdeBeer+de+Beer  
Email

« Reply #3 on: Mar 9th, 2006, 1:00am »

Hi Dejay, good advise from Jonny and Kris.

Hope you find some PF time soon.
IP Logged

Jazz Wink

Madness is proclaimed by society’s inability to accept its own infallibility
sandie99
New Board Hall of Famer
Finland 

Wish it, dream it, do it - inspite the pain!

« Reply #4 on: Mar 9th, 2006, 3:03am »

Dejay,

I'm so sorry that the beast is back. I wish you PF time as soon as possible... hug

Sanna
IP Logged

CH happends, Live anyway! PF days to us all!

"Do what you can and let God take care of the rest. Leave your heart wide open and always wish for the best" (Sanna Hillu)

"No matter how far out your dreams are, it's possible" (Marketa Irglova)

dejay
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #5 on: Mar 9th, 2006, 11:09am »

Thanks for the welcome & kris thanks for that link, a lot of hope in it. I'm on my way to the Dr. My insurance won't give me refill on verapamil, it has to come "mail order". Yesterday afternoon was a little hairy, but slept through the night again. What a relief. For a couple of weeks I've escaped that nightly attacks, guess the verapamil and melatonin are working. Just those afternoons, I guess you call them shadows, they freak me out.
  Also going to ask about flonoaise for allergy and sinus trouble.

Thanks again, I feel like I can make it through the day.
IP Logged
Richr8
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

It's all about today...

Email

« Reply #6 on: Mar 9th, 2006, 5:44pm »

on Mar 8th, 2006, 8:02pm, dejay wrote:
 When will they end

I agree on the Verapamil, 120mg seems a little light.  I have good luck with 480mg.  Also, please check out the info on Oxygen.  It is my primary abortive and gives me relief about 60% of the time.

wishing you PFDAN,

Rich
IP Logged

pf wishes,

Rich

...because yesterday is history and you never know what tomorrow will bring.
"Med free"- A few seeds and lots of O2-LG but not great.
Beastfodder
New Board Old Timer
United_Kingdom 

O2 and clusterbusters - naturally

« Reply #7 on: Mar 10th, 2006, 5:20am »

Do not contemplate sinus surgery.

Do look into O2  

Keep it simple with sinus care - steam's hard to beat as an easy decogestant.  

Do think carefully before trying the pepper up the nose stuff for example.

Don't ever stop reading up on it till you found an effective cure that works for you.

all the best
IP Logged

O2 and clusterbusters - naturally
dejay
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #8 on: Mar 10th, 2006, 12:28pm »

Thanks for the info, I am not going to go overboard with sinus care.  

I meant to say 240 on the verapamil, 120, twice a day. Seems to be working.

This cycle had been very different, began, 1 attack every 4 days, than 1 every other day, than, full blown. I wonder if it will end that way. A couple of times I  thought I was out, only to be disappointed.  

Every other cycle, came out of nowhere, and left the same way.
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss