Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 14th, 2024, 11:33pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Sleep Study: More evidence re. CH »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   Cluster Headache Help and Support
   Cluster Headache Specific
(Moderator: DJ)
   Sleep Study: More evidence re. CH
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Sleep Study: More evidence re. CH  (Read 361 times)
Bob_Johnson
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

Sleep Study: More evidence re. CH
« on: Mar 12th, 2006, 11:20am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Cephalalgia. 2006 Mar;26(3):290-4.  

A sleep study in cluster headache.

Della Marca G, Vollono C, Rubino M, Capuano A, Di Trapani G, Mariotti P.

Institute of Neurology, Department of Neuroscience, Catholic University, Rome, Italy.

Cluster headache (CH) is a primary headache with a close relation to sleep. CH presents a circa-annual rhythmicity; attacks occur preferably during the night, in rapid eye movement (REM) sleep, and they are associated with autonomic and neuroendocrine modifications. The posterior hypothalamus is the key structure for the biological phenomenon of CH. Our aim is to describe a 55-year-old man presenting a typical episodic CH, in whom we performed a prolonged sleep study, consisting of a 9-week actigraphic recording and repeated polysomnography, with evaluation of both sleep macrostructure and microstructure. During the acute bout of the cluster we observed an irregular sleep-wake pattern and abnormalities of REM sleep. After the cluster phase these alterations remitted.  

We conclude that CH was associated, in this patient, with sleep dysregulation involving the biological clock and the arousal mechanisms, particularly in REM. All these abnormalities are consistent with posterior hypothalamic dysfunction.

PMID: 16472335
IP Logged

Bob Johnson
karrie35
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Re: Sleep Study: More evidence re. CH
« Reply #1 on: Mar 12th, 2006, 4:04pm »

I think cluster headaches should  instead be called hypothalamic dysfunction. Using the word headache is misleading and does not speak to the complex nature of these attacks.

My two cents!!

Karrie
IP Logged
mynm156
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

hope life isn't a big joke, because I don't get it

« Reply #2 on: Mar 12th, 2006, 8:03pm »

Yep.  I am one who has sleep apnea that requires CPAP.  If you have never had a sleep study trust me you are soooooooo wired up that there are many anomalies to your sleep pattern.  EEG leads, EKG Leads, nasal air flow leads, leg and arm leads you can not rest easy.  I have had three sleep studies, studied, learned to perform and read them and it is my opinion that they are always somewhat skewed due to the fact that you are out of your environment and wired for sound.  So the bottom line is I am not surprised that during a 9week study period that there would be even more anomalies and was it only one subject??? That does not very scientific if it was.
IP Logged

"Half of the modern drugs could well be thrown out of the window, except that the birds might eat them."
marlinsfan
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

I love this place!

Email

« Reply #3 on: Mar 13th, 2006, 8:46am »

That study tells us nothing we don't already know. It's simple confirmation that our hypothalamus is messed up.

If it wasn't because we know this to be the case, we wouldn't believe in the study. It has a sample size of 1, and that is not a statistically significant sample size. I'm surprised it even got published.
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss