Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 19th, 2024, 10:16am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Difference between stroke and cluster headache! »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   Cluster Headache Help and Support
   Cluster Headache Specific
(Moderator: DJ)
   Difference between stroke and cluster headache!
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Difference between stroke and cluster headache!  (Read 1244 times)
bill_w.
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Difference between stroke and cluster headache!
« on: Jun 21st, 2006, 1:03pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hello Everyone! I am wandering what the differences are between cluster headaches and having a stroke are? I was diaganosed  with cluster headaches back in 2000 after having them for 12 years and have been in long remissiance until last night and had super bad bout but had other symptoms and was wanting to know what the true symptoms of having a stroke are? Thanks for any and all info!

bill w.
IP Logged
E-Double
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Are we ourselves?

Edoubleitk   Edoubleitk1
Email

Re: Difference between stroke and cluster headache
« Reply #1 on: Jun 21st, 2006, 1:11pm »

Get your ass to a doctor
IP Logged

I can't believe that I have to bang my
Head against this wall again
But the blows they have just a little more
Space in-between them
Gonna take a breath and try again.
bill_w.
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #2 on: Jun 21st, 2006, 1:22pm »

Why? They just send u back home cause symptoms are gone!
IP Logged
E-Double
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Are we ourselves?

Edoubleitk   Edoubleitk1
Email

« Reply #3 on: Jun 21st, 2006, 2:26pm »

Then it is not stroke
IP Logged

I can't believe that I have to bang my
Head against this wall again
But the blows they have just a little more
Space in-between them
Gonna take a breath and try again.
Kris_in_SJ
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

There's no place like home.

Email

« Reply #4 on: Jun 21st, 2006, 7:35pm »

Bill,

Welcome.  Believe me, if you're having a stroke, you'll know.  Most clusterheads get a drooping eye, runny nose, etc. on the side of the cluster attack when in cycle and in pain.

With a stroke, you'd probably feel no pain at all...just a sudden loss of function in one part of your body ... loss of speech, numbness and loss of function in one arm or leg, etc.  Rarely, if ever, any pain of any kind.

Hope this was a serious question, cos I gave a serious answer.

PF Wishes,

Kris
IP Logged

I'm a small woman in small town being chased by a VERY BIG BEAST!
bill_w.
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #5 on: Jun 21st, 2006, 8:03pm »

Thanks Kris! This is very serious question, believe me, last night i had a headbanger of headache over left side of eye and head and neck to start then whole left side of body went numb along with nausea and blurred vision and it all lasted about 2 hours then got feeling back but have had steady pressure on left side of head and face with dull headache all day today, i also have chronic back pain along with ear ringing and on high blood pressure meds.  I haven;t had a cluster bout in 4 years and this could be strt again or i've got something else happening! Thanks again.
IP Logged
mynm156
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

hope life isn't a big joke, because I don't get it

« Reply #6 on: Jun 21st, 2006, 8:41pm »

We are reallt talking about two different things here a Stroke and An Aneurysm.  An Aneurysm is a bleed in the brain that can rupture or not but its the pressure on the meninges that are the system of membranes that envelop the central nervous including the brain.  This pressure causes Localized Headache, Nausea, could be vomiting, a Stiff Neck or Neck Pain might be present, Blurred Vision / Double Vision,  Dilated Pupils, Sensitivity to Light and Loss of Sensation.  A stroke on the other hand usually does not have these types of symtoms they are facial weakness an inability to talk possible loss of bladder control. There might be a  difficulty in breathing or swallowing. Then of course there is paralysis or weakness, particularly on one side of the body.  Now in hemorrhagic strokes the symtoms of an Aneurysm as well as that of a stroke could be present.  If you have a Brain Bleed you will pretty much now that something is WRONG!

Good Vibes!

Mynm156
« Last Edit: Jun 22nd, 2006, 2:38am by mynm156 » IP Logged

"Half of the modern drugs could well be thrown out of the window, except that the birds might eat them."
Sandy_C
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Burn that bra!

Email

« Reply #7 on: Jun 22nd, 2006, 1:08pm »

Bill, seriously, I'm going to go back to what E-Double said.  Get yourself back to a doctor.  Typically, clusterheadaches do not cause one side of the whole body to go numb, and then have feeling return a little later  As I said, "typically" this doesn't happen.  A stroke can cause one side of your body to lose feeling, but I don't think that the feeling returns, at least it sure didn't when my Mother had her stroke.  Your cycle may be returning, OR something else could be happening, OR it could be a combination.

Go see your doc.  If he doesn't do more than "just send you home because symptoms are gone" - find another doc.

Sandy
IP Logged

Lean on me when you're not strong
And I'll be your friend
I'll help you carry on
For it won't be long
Till I'm gonna need
Somebody to lean on
bill_w.
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #8 on: Jun 22nd, 2006, 4:42pm »

Got appt. with doc! I do not think it was stroke and so far my clusters are not back, no headaches today so far. I think it is cirrosis of the liver that is causing blockage to brain and causing the headaches and other symptoms, I drank few beers for the first time in over a year and that is my reminder why I can't drink alcohol.
IP Logged
Kris_in_SJ
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

There's no place like home.

Email

« Reply #9 on: Jun 22nd, 2006, 8:19pm »

I'm glad to hear you have an appointment with the doc, Bill.

I was gently reminded by a cluster friend last night that strokes can often be accompanied by a headache.  The symptoms you described in your second post are not typical of a cluster attack, even though a long remission is not uncommon (I'm a 4-5 year cycle girl, myself).

Please keep us informed of what you find out.

Hugs,

Kris
IP Logged

I'm a small woman in small town being chased by a VERY BIG BEAST!
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss