Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 20th, 2024, 1:05am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Pineal gland involvement in CH? »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   Cluster Headache Help and Support
   Cluster Headache Specific
(Moderator: DJ)
   Pineal gland involvement in CH?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Pineal gland involvement in CH?  (Read 682 times)
George_J
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

White-Breasted Nuthatch

Email

Pineal gland involvement in CH?
« on: Oct 26th, 2006, 1:28pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed &list_uids=1305631&dopt=Abstract

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed &list_uids=16606930&dopt=Abstract

http://cat.inist.fr/?aModele=afficheN&cpsidt=14190972

There seem to be quite a few other links as well.  This is new to me--does anyone have further information?

Best wishes,

George
« Last Edit: Oct 26th, 2006, 1:28pm by George_J » IP Logged

Ah! The foreigners put on such airs
Wearing the tangerine suits
And their harlequin eyes.
The pain they inspire
Draws in harmonica melodies
And the feathers of birds
Which flame up at their touch.
It all comes to light in the sheer
Debonair.
(Ellen)
LeeS
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
United_Kingdom 

I love C12 H16 N2O!

Re: Pineal gland involvement in CH?
« Reply #1 on: Oct 26th, 2006, 1:35pm »

Sorry, got to go George - but yes, I have lots on this.

Thanks for bringing it up - I'll catch you later.

-Lee
IP Logged
floridian

Email

« Reply #2 on: Oct 26th, 2006, 8:49pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

The hypothalamus can 'control' the pineal, the thyroid, many other glands.  When the hypothalamus won't work, nobody wants to work the way they should.
« Last Edit: Oct 26th, 2006, 8:50pm by floridian » IP Logged
starlight
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #3 on: Oct 26th, 2006, 11:41pm »

The pineal gland, from what I understand, could influence the function of the hypothalamus as it is the mediator between the light outside the body and the hypothalamus.  If there is something wrong with the pineal gland--this gland is what "conducts" the light into the body, into the brain and hence the hypothalamus.  Right, so primary dysfunction, could theoretically at some point BEGIN there--in the pineal.  Like, if it is not doing its job conducting then there will be problems--but that is only how i have pictured this gland to work.   
The links sound like cutting edge research to me.  Thanks for posting them George.
« Last Edit: Oct 26th, 2006, 11:44pm by starlight » IP Logged
BB
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Newbie
Mongolia 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #4 on: Oct 27th, 2006, 9:59pm »

They all work together by a bio feedback system with the hypothalamus being the "supervisor".

All the glands : pineal, thyroid, adrenal, gonadal etc produce hormones, the levels get signalled back to the hypothalamus which will try to fine tune things if they are out of whack.

So if the hypothalamus is not working, things go haywires, but then if any of the glands dont work properly and sends the hypothalamus the wrong messages, this can "confuse " the hypothalamus and things go haywire too.

Annette
IP Logged
LeeS
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
United_Kingdom 

I love C12 H16 N2O!

« Reply #5 on: Oct 28th, 2006, 6:04am »

Hi George – as I said, thanks for bringing this up.

If we consider the underlying hypothesis that the pineal gland is malfunctioning amongst CH sufferers; either through an inherent abnormality or through other internal and/or external influences, then how so?  The answer may possibly lie in pineal calcification.

The pineal gland contains several calcified concretions called "brain sand" or acervuli (corpora arenacea). Predominantly composed of calcium and magnesium salts, corpora arenacea are numerous in older people. In smaller numbers they can be present in children as well. The presence of calcified concretions is not thought to indicate a pathological condition except when they are found in young patients when they may suggest the presence of pineal germinomas.  Pineal calcification used to be an important landmark of an intracranial mass in the pre-CT era, when only plain films were available. It has now lost almost all of its diagnostic value but I wonder if it should be re-visited.

Interestingly, more recent studies suggest that abnormal melatonin functions may be implicated in the pathophysiology of schizophrenia.  Since there is evidence that the presence of pineal calcification may relate, amongst other factors, to disturbances in melatonin secretion, one study looked at the relationship of pineal calcification size by CT scanning a number of schizophrenic sufferers.  The findings suggested that the nature of onset of schizophrenia may be influenced by the activity of the pineal gland.  I wonder how many cluster sufferers, if any, have had their pineal glands scanned, particularly both before and after the onset of their condition, to monitor the degree of calcification?

Another possibility is that CH sufferers may have an imbalance of the catalyst enzymes that help convert serotonin into the other transmitters; particularly NAT, HIOMT and INMT which may be important.  If the pineal is malfunctioning in any way, it may not be producing enough of these naturally occurring pineal enzymes, or they may not be catalysing effectively, leading ultimately to lower levels of pertinent transmitters.  I find it interesting to note that 5-HTP, the precursor to serotonin, is sometimes used effectively in the treatment of CH, but can actually appear to make the condition worse amongst some sufferers.  Perhaps an imbalance of these enzymes amongst sufferers is the reason for this?

Anyway, I could go on for ever about this, but thankfully I won’t.  Check out the last nine issues of the OUCH newsletter for further details (shameless plug).

-Lee
IP Logged
LeLimey
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Great_Britain 

OUCH-US - Less "ME" and more "WE"

lelimey  
WWW Email

« Reply #6 on: Oct 28th, 2006, 6:07am »

on Oct 28th, 2006, 6:04am, LeeS wrote:

Anyway, I could go on for ever about this, but thankfully I won’t.  

Lips Sealed

You know I love reading your stuff really ratbag!
IP Logged

The arsehole I'm divorcing needs to get a life and stop stalking mine

yikes-another-one
New Board Old Timer
USA 

dancenshout2002   joyflheart2004
Email

« Reply #7 on: Oct 28th, 2006, 11:35am »

My doc wants to look into a pituitary tumor...
these are microscopic and non-cancerous...
and often mis-diagnosed....as it affect hormones,
and many get treated for tag-along symptoms...
they don't seem to operate unless the tumors grow
to contort the optical nerve....

I really didn't have any headaches until I turned  
mid twenties...and that was when I started having
other troubles too.....ugh.

can I request a head-ect-omy????
anyone? Feris??? ANYONE????
IP Logged

Psalm 23 - Goodness and mercy shall follow US all the days of our lives and WE will dwell in the house of LOVE forever.
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss