Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 2nd, 2024, 2:56pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Smoking, snoring, sleep apnea and CH »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   Cluster Headache Help and Support
   Cluster Headache Specific
(Moderator: DJ)
   Smoking, snoring, sleep apnea and CH
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Smoking, snoring, sleep apnea and CH  (Read 622 times)
rbmb
New Board Veteran
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

Smoking, snoring, sleep apnea and CH
« on: Dec 17th, 2007, 8:10pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Are they connected? I've smoked a pack a day for years and I snore (my wife doesn't even sleep in the same room with me anymore) and she tells me I stop breathing for periods when I sleep. I am currently in the longest headache free period I've had since I started getting these things, but I haven't changed anything I'm doing. I am sure they will return....I'm just enjoying the vacation while it lasts.
     I am just wondering if stopping breathing for periods deprives the brain of oxygen and this triggers the HAs. If so, this might explain why breathing O2 helps some people with the headaches (it didn't help me). There is clearly a connection between smoking and CH as there are many more smokers in the CH population than in the general population. I realize that this doesn't account for CH sufferers who have never smoked....just food for thought.
          Rich
IP Logged
Linda_Howell
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Hearing is one thing.  Listening is another.

N/A   N/A
WWW Email

Re: Smoking, snoring, sleep apnea and CH
« Reply #1 on: Dec 17th, 2007, 8:20pm »

I can't speak to the sleep apnea...but as bad as smoking is to our general health, there is no relationship to CH that anyone has been able to determine.  CH is caused by a deformed Hypothalmus gland.  What we need in the throes of an attack is to constrict the vessels.  Actually smoking does that.  As well as Imitrex and 02.    

That does  not mean you should continue to puff away though.   Grin
IP Logged

Kindness, is gladdening the hearts of those who are traveling the dark journey with us.
DennisM1045
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

One wave at a time!

DennisM1045   DennisM1045
Email

« Reply #2 on: Dec 17th, 2007, 9:09pm »

I haven't smoked in 17 years.  I've had CH for 12.  My Dr thinks I may have SA as my sister does and I'm exhausted all the time.  She wants me to have a sleep study after the new year.

Of course I could be exhausted because I have 10 kids  Grin

-Dennis-
IP Logged

Dancing the dance since 1995 ... Family member since 2007 ... No longer alone
Crappy
New Board Junior
USA 

__

« Reply #3 on: Dec 17th, 2007, 10:20pm »

I developed severe apnea 2 years ago.  I suffered from recurring neck pain and headaches for 8 years, which turned into chronic daily headaches (recently dignosed as chronic ch) just before the sleep apnea started.  I have never smoked.

I have read online that there is a correlation between sleep apnea and ch.  However, it is something that would trigger attacks when you are in cycle, but wouldn't cause a cycle (according to these articles).  My own opinion is that the progression of my cluster headaches toward chronic, after 5 years, triggered a cascade of effects that can be seen in my medical records as I complained of them to my doctor.  Once the pain became daily, then came uncontrollable anxiety (out of control autonomic activation), insomnia, and then sleep apnea months later.  Anyway, I actually think the ch caused the apnea.

Either way - if you have apnea, GET it treated!  You'll hate the CPAP at first, but once you get used to it, you'll never want to sleep without it.  It seriously changes your life, just as much as preventatives and abortives.
IP Logged

The plural of "anecdote" is not "evidence."
Monty

Email

« Reply #4 on: Dec 18th, 2007, 9:25am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

on Dec 17th, 2007, 8:20pm, Linda_Howell wrote:

CH is caused by a deformed Hypothalmus gland.

Disagree with that.  I would say it is more like a swollen or inflamed or overstressed OR deformed hypothalamus.  How can people that are episodic go into remission for long periods if the hypothalamus is permanently deformed and that deformity is the cause of cluster headaches?

Allergies, smoking, low oxygen, apnea and sleep issues, heart problems, alcohol and other factors can all contribute to the disruption of function that leads to cycles or attacks.      

« Last Edit: Dec 18th, 2007, 9:35am by Monty » IP Logged
Guiseppi
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #5 on: Dec 18th, 2007, 10:16am »

RB, not to divert a thread, but when you said 02 hadn't worked for you it always catches my eye!!!

Have you read the oxygen link to the left? There are some people it does not work for , buut many have found by changing the way they used it, they had success with it.

If you get a chance read the link and compare it to your experience. It's over 90% effective for me in aborting headaches and has almost eliminated the need for imitrex. Might be worth a read!

Back to your thread, I've never smoked, snore moderately l..(according to She Who Must Be Obeyed) and do not have the sleep apnea thing.

Guiseppi
IP Logged

Why are all sensors, seeking intelligent life, pointed AWAY from earth?
Bob_Johnson
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #6 on: Dec 18th, 2007, 12:35pm »

Cephalalgia. 2003 May;23(4):276-9. Related Articles, Links  

Cluster headache associated with sleep apnoea.

Nobre ME, Filho PF, Dominici M.

Universidade Federal Fluminense, Rio de Janeiro, Brasil. eduarda@imagelink.com.br

This study of sleep changes in patients with cluster headache (CH) was conducted in view of the nocturnal predominance of this condition, the efficacy of oxygen and the fact that the attacks follow oxygen desaturation. Proposed mechanisms include impairment of carotid body activity secondary to hypothalamic vasomotor regulatory dysfunction. Sixteen patients with episodic CH and 29 healthy volunteers underwent nocturnal polysomnography. Five (31.3%) patients with episodic CH were found to have sleep apnoea (SA). Two patients with SA experienced two attacks during the study period. The attacks followed episodes of oxygen desaturation and were associated with REM sleep. In two patients with SA and CH, treatment with continuous positive airway pressure abolished their oxygen desaturation, sleep apnoeas and headaches. Our study confirmed the high percentage of CH associated with SA. We suggest that oxygen desaturation may be a trigger factor in some patients and play a role in the pathogenesis of CH.

Publication Types:  
Comparative Study  

PMID: 12716345 [PubMed
IP Logged

Bob Johnson
Opus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

(Insert witty comment here)

pjbgravely   pjbgravely
WWW Email

« Reply #7 on: Dec 19th, 2007, 4:47pm »

I have all of the above. I went  untreated for Sleep apnea for a long time, and I also had the bad headaches that occurred with sinus infections. I believe they were low level CH's. Pain level of a 5 right now, but then they were my 10. When I finally got a CPAP, a few months later I developed real CH. I can only guess that the stress from never sleeping well kept my CH at bay so when I started the CPAP my attacks became normal. Dispite that I would not give up my CPAP, living with CH is easier than living with total exaustion and constant bone and joint pain.

Paul
IP Logged

Zed-Zed-nine plural-Zed alpha,

There is no place like home.
circus1031
New Board Newbie
USA 

HE Who Gets Headaches

« Reply #8 on: Dec 19th, 2007, 9:05pm »

I wondered about the connection too, I was going to start a thread and was surprised to see one here.

I'm about two weeks into my cycle. My dad has sleep apnea and from how my girlfriends and friends have described my sleep habits and snoring it sounds like I have it to. I wanted to get it treated but was intimidated by the mask.  

It's attractive to think that their may be a connection. Do I understand correctly that sleep apnea may keep CH at bay? But sleep apnea doesn't come and go but clusters do.  

I'll probably get my apnea treated, I hate being tired all the time. But I'm cautious now if it may increase the severity of CH during my cycle.  

Matt
IP Logged
Brew
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Low Four!

« Reply #9 on: Dec 19th, 2007, 10:43pm »

on Dec 19th, 2007, 9:05pm, circus1031 wrote:
I wanted to get it treated but was intimidated by the mask.

Two words: nasal pillows.

I noticed no difference in my CH once I started on the CPAP. But it has made a world of difference in how I sleep at night and feel during the day.

Now, for some reason, I am not getting hit at night this cycle. The meds are keeping the beast at bay and the CPAP keeps me sleeping at night.
IP Logged

Always remember that you're unique, just like everyone else.
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss