Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 17th, 2024, 6:46am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « tinnitus? »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   Cluster Headache Help and Support
   Cluster Headache Specific
(Moderator: DJ)
   tinnitus?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: tinnitus?  (Read 8330 times)
Stoic
New Board Newbie
USA 

tinnitus?
« on: Jan 17th, 2008, 7:57am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I'm still having attacks about once a day, although I've felt better as my body becomes accustomed to the Verapamil. Imitrext is a godsend (although I wish my insurance would pay for more than nine tablets every 23 days).

But I have constant tinnitus, sometimes louder, sometimes less so. When I was hit at 4:30 this morning, I noticed that the ringing was considerably louder than usual. Yesterday, by contrast, I went the whole day feeling pretty well, and the tinnitus was less obtrusive.

Is this an integral part of the cluster headache syndrome? Or is it perhaps a side effect of the medication? Or perhaps something else altogether?

Thanks for all your help.

Bob
IP Logged
DennisM1045
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

One wave at a time!

DennisM1045   DennisM1045
Email

Re: tinnitus?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 17th, 2008, 8:36am »

I've never heard that tinnitus was a symptom of clusters but I do see that verapamil is a treatment for tinnitus.  Seems calcium channel blockers can help for that condition too.

www.angelfire.com/home/hideout/menieres/whatm.html

-Dennis-
IP Logged

Dancing the dance since 1995 ... Family member since 2007 ... No longer alone
artonio7
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Home since 11/18/06

artonio9  

« Reply #2 on: Jan 17th, 2008, 9:00am »

on Jan 17th, 2008, 8:36am, DennisM1045 wrote:
I've never heard that tinnitus was a symptom of clusters but I do see that verapamil is a treatment for tinnitus.  Seems calcium channel blockers can help for that condition too.

www.angelfire.com/home/hideout/menieres/whatm.html

-Dennis-

I developed tinitus after a bout of Menieres Disease several years ago. At the time I lost all hearing in my left ear (cluster side). I was prescribed Antivert and a antihistamine... (I don't recall the name). When the vertigo subsided and half of my hearing restored I was left with the ringing. Some days it's worse then others but it's a constant. Although the Menieres and it's extreme vertigo went away I was left with a less than peachy sense of balance... to describe it I'm always a bit dizzy or as one might feel the day after a really bad drunken binge.

This was several years before I developed CH by the way.

with warm regards,
Tony
IP Logged

Hope! http://artonio7.com
CH Pain Calendar Free Download
For artwork
monty
New Board Veteran
USA 

« Reply #3 on: Jan 17th, 2008, 9:43am »

Yeah, I have some tinnitus in one ear. I have linked mine with muscle tension and jaw problems - when I clench my jaw, the ringing gets louder.  When my jaw is in a mood to pop or lock up, the tinnitus is worse.  When I am in cycle, the pain and nerve misfirings are not helpful, and the muscles in the jaw get disturbed.    

There are other causes of tinnitus - blood circulation not related to muscle problems, infections, chemical (aspirin sensitivity), neurological, etc.  

IP Logged

The outer boundary of what we currently believe is feasible is far short of what we actually must do.
LeeS
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
United_Kingdom 

I love C12 H16 N2O!

« Reply #4 on: Jan 17th, 2008, 9:53am »

This has come up before.  I haven't done a recent search, but most of the research seemed to focus on migraine and tinnitus.  Not a lot out there in terms of CH, however, I did find this.  Interesting that they have devised there own version of the Kip scale for tinnitus.

Quote:
Acta Otorhinolaryngol Ital. 1999 Apr;19(2):70-5.Links
Tinnitus during headache: clinical-instrumental evaluation

Farri A, Enrico A, Lacilla M, Sartoris A.
Dipartimento di Fisiopatologia Clinica, Università di Torino.

During the five years running from December 1993 to January 1998, 112 patients who had come to our University Clinic suffering from headache were examined. From this group 71 complaining of tinnitus during headache were recruited for the study: 19 patients suffered from migraine without aura, 8 migraine with aura, 15 tension headache, 21 mixed headache, 3 basic migraine and 5 cluster headache. The purpose of this work was to determine the incidence and to identify the frequency of the various types of tinnitus in the study sample. Once cardiovascular and metabolic pathologies, previous cranial or cervical traumas, barotrauma, chronic on-the-job noise exposure, cervical arthritis, ATM malocclusion, use of drugs that damage the hearing apparatus, morbose processes of the external and middle ear, otosclerosis, jugular tympanum paraganglioma, Meniere's disease, acoustic neurinoma were all ruled out, the patients underwent the following battery of instrumental tests: tonal audiometry, impedance measurement, vestibular examination, electronystagmography, ABR, simplified tinnitometry. Only those patients with normal hearing underwent the tinnitometry and, therefore, the type of tinnitus was established only for this group of 53 patients. Tinnitometry showed that 37% of these subjects had tinnitus at the higher frequency tones, 11% at the middle frequencies, 29% complained of tinnitus at the lower frequencies while 23% complained that the bothersome buzzing was a compound noise. In addition, the subjective intensity of the tinnitus was analyzed. The authors devised a tinnitus irritation scale covering a range from 0 (not irritating) to 10 (intolerable). The tinnitus was bilateral in 66% of the cases while it was limited to only one ear in the remaining 34%. In 15% of the cases tinnitus was present even when there was no headache. In the literature, the etiopathogenesis of tinnitus associated with migraine headache has been attributed to vascular and neuropeptide mechanisms. Even the psychological component appears to play a role in triggering the event. These hypotheses deserve more in depth study.

And this one attempts to explain the cause:  

Quote:
Neuroscience. 2001;103(1):189-201. Links
Capsaicin stimulation of the cochlea and electric stimulation of the trigeminal ganglion mediate vascular permeability in cochlear and vertebro-basilar arteries: a potential cause of inner ear dysfunction in headache.
Vass Z, Steyger PS, Hordichok AJ, Trune DR, Jancsó G, Nuttall AL.
Department of Otolaryngology, Albert Szent-Györgyi Medical University, Szeged H-6725, Hungary.

Trigeminal neurogenic inflammation is one explanation for the development of vascular migraine. The triggers for this inflammation and pain are not well understood, but are probably vasoactive components acting on the blood vessel wall. Migraine-related inner ear symptoms like phonophobia, tinnitus, fluctuation in hearing perception and increased noise sensitivity provide indirect evidence that cochlear blood vessels are also affected by basilar artery migraine. The purpose of this investigation was to determine if a functional connection exists between the cochlea and the basilar artery. Neuronally mediated permeability changes in the cochlea and basilar artery were measured by colloidal silver and Evans Blue extravasation, following orthodromic and antidromic stimulation of the trigeminal ganglion innervating the cochlea. Capsaicin and electrical stimulation induced both dose- and time-dependent plasma extravasation of colloidal silver and Evans Blue from the basilar artery and anterior inferior cerebellar artery. Both orthodromic and antidromic activation of trigeminal sensory fibers also induced cochlear vascular permeability changes and significant quantitative differences between the treated and control groups in spectrophotometric assays. These results characterize a vasoactive connection between the cochlea and vertebro-basilar system through the trigeminal sensory neurons. We propose that vertigo, tinnitus and hearing deficits associated with basilar migraine could arise by excitation of the trigeminal nerve fibers in the cochlea, resulting in local plasma extravasation. In addition, cochlear "dysfunction" may also trigger basilar and cluster headache by afferent input to the trigeminal system.

For some reason, I can never seem to get that song "Walking in a Winter Wonderland" out of my head; irrespective of the season.  I wonder if it is cluster related? Wink

All the best with it.

-Lee
« Last Edit: Jan 17th, 2008, 9:55am by LeeS » IP Logged
kcopelin
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

good grief

« Reply #5 on: Jan 17th, 2008, 11:38am »

Interesting study.  My hearing is totally shot-spent a bit too much time in jet engine noise.  I do have some ringing in my ear during a CH and even during shadows (which I define as low level CH's Kip1-6) so I guess its pretty constant.

On the other hand Lee, there is something called an ear worm.  Thank you so much Roll Eyesnow I can't get the tune or the lyrics for "walkin' in a Winter Wonderland" outta my head. Shocked

PFDAN y'all
kathy
IP Logged

Words count, chose carefully.
Gator
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer

« Reply #6 on: Jan 17th, 2008, 4:47pm »

For me, tinnitus came as a side effect of taking carbamazepine, aka tegretol.  Three years later and I still have it.

IP Logged
LarryM
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #7 on: Jan 18th, 2008, 1:16am »

I have, it's annoying, but doesn't rate that high on my list of stress creators. Credit card debt will factor more into quality of life issues.
IP Logged
Netherlands 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #8 on: Jan 18th, 2008, 9:38am »

I've had it long before CH showed up.
Spending more than half your life driving piles and around heavy equipment and quarries will do that to you.
Tried ear plugs once but then I was deaf and dumb.
IP Logged
Crappy
New Board Junior
USA 

__

« Reply #9 on: Jan 18th, 2008, 2:30pm »

I've had rare tinnitus in one ear (pain side) since teenage years, maybe every few weeks, loud but lasting only a minute.  That came many years before Ch.  Just after the Ch really got bad, but also after I started topomax, I also began having tinnitus in my other ear during attacks on the non-pain side.  It's no bother to me, but it does usually happen in either ear now during attacks.
IP Logged

The plural of "anecdote" is not "evidence."
Stoic
New Board Newbie
USA 

« Reply #10 on: Jan 18th, 2008, 2:39pm »

This is all quite interesting. My tinnitus is a bit less noisy today, which is also the first full day I've had in some time without a headache. And when I do wake with a headache, the tinnitus is very loud.

I'm not bothered that much by the tinnitus, which I could live with much more easily than with all these headaches. But in my case, the two seem to come and go together.
IP Logged
Gator
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer

« Reply #11 on: Jan 19th, 2008, 11:27pm »

The ringing in my ears is constant.  Sometimes it is louder than others.  Sometimes I hardly notice it and sometimes it's downright maddening.  F@#$%ng Tegretol.  That is one of two meds that I will NEVER take again.  The other being Dopeymax.

IP Logged
sandie99
New Board Hall of Famer
Finland 

Wish it, dream it, do it - inspite the pain!

« Reply #12 on: Jan 24th, 2008, 8:37am »

I've had tinnitus occasionally long before I got my first ch hits.  

Sanna
IP Logged

CH happends, Live anyway! PF days to us all!

"Do what you can and let God take care of the rest. Leave your heart wide open and always wish for the best" (Sanna Hillu)

"No matter how far out your dreams are, it's possible" (Marketa Irglova)

Paul98

Email

« Reply #13 on: Jan 24th, 2008, 10:20am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

I now seem to have tinnitus almost constantly.  Some days it is bothersome, once in a while I don't notice it.  I had CH long before I got the ringing.  Never noticed a coorelation with having CH, being in or out of cycle or anything else.  I do know if I even take small amts of asprine or ieubroprofin the ringing gets worse.  I have noticed the ringing for ~4-5 years now.

-P.
IP Logged
hotprestwich
New Board Junior
England 

Fuck the devil

Email

« Reply #14 on: Jan 24th, 2008, 11:38am »

I got clusters, but no tinnitus here
must be lots of others who dont have it either,
i personally cant make a connection with the two

IP Logged

In heaven there is no beer so why not drink it while we´re here
Grandma_Sweet_Boy
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Canada 

What Goes Around Comes Around!

« Reply #15 on: Jan 24th, 2008, 7:06pm »

on Jan 24th, 2008, 10:20am, Paul98 wrote:
I now seem to have tinnitus almost constantly.  Some days it is bothersome, once in a while I don't notice it.  I had CH long before I got the ringing.  Never noticed a coorelation with having CH, being in or out of cycle or anything else.  I do know if I even take small amts of asprine or ieubroprofin the ringing gets worse.  I have noticed the ringing for ~4-5 years now.

-P.

I've had the same condition for years now and only recently clued in to it getting worse with aspirin.  Mine started about 34 years ago and followed a nasty inner ear infection that made me walk into walls. (yes, I was sober! Grin)

It's damned annoying but on a scale of 1 to "sh*t happens" - it sits somewhere in the lower end of the scale.

Carol
IP Logged
JEG_43MD
New Board Newbie
USA 

Email

« Reply #16 on: Jan 24th, 2008, 8:12pm »

on Jan 18th, 2008, 2:39pm, Stoic wrote:
This is all quite interesting. My tinnitus is a bit less noisy today, which is also the first full day I've had in some time without a headache. And when I do wake with a headache, the tinnitus is very loud.

I'm not bothered that much by the tinnitus, which I could live with much more easily than with all these headaches. But in my case, the two seem to come and go together.

The tinnitus your hearing is spurious brain activity. Neurons just firing like crazy... and for no reason. You can actually hear your brain activity when its really out of sync (such as in a cluster). No different than being able to hear Doritos in your head when you chew them.

I could leave the explanation at that and get flamed by all my "friends" but I will finish this explanation...

Oh yeah, forgot to say that the reason the nerves are firing is due to an errant immune response that releases a neurotoxin from the pituitary. Think of it this way....If you had the nerve ending in your hand and had an eye dropper of this neurotoxin... one drop on the nerve and it starts to go crazy....

O.K. How do I know this...I'll skip the chemistry piece for now because being able to hear your own brain activity is way more interesting....I had "tinitus" for years with my headaches and a little bit of it without my headaches. Then things got out of control thanks to Prednisone. It made my disease so bad that my Occipital lobe of my brain would be so hyper-stimulated that the tinitus was loud enough I couldn't hear anything else. I say occipital lobe because when I would move my eyes to the left or right...the tinitus would spike. It was like a swooshing sound. And 1 puff off a cigarette made the whole thing that much worse.  

So I don't tell my doctor about this because he will think I am crazy "Hey doc. I can hear my brain" So I met up with the 2nd Neuromuscular authority in the world at Ohio state. I told her what I just told you and said I could manipulate my medications to aggravate my occipital lobe at will and create the tinitus feeling. We bet $1. I took 2 days to drop one of my medications and then I got an fMRI scan of my brain. What do you ya know...there was hyperactivity around the pituitary and the occipital lobe was off the chart. That pretty much it. I know what the tinitus is. I can make it worse and I can make it better. But I can't make it go away.

Sorry for the long post but that's how it is-

J
IP Logged

God doesn't give us crosses we can't bare...I just wish he wouldn't have so much faith in us.
Jonny
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Give me a shovel Ill dig my own grave!

WWW Email

« Reply #17 on: Jan 24th, 2008, 8:30pm »

on Jan 24th, 2008, 8:12pm, JEG_43MD wrote:
So I don't tell my doctor about this because he will think I am crazy

Any good Psychiatrists would, have you seen yours lately?
IP Logged

It is up to YOU to educate yourself and then help your doctor plan your treatment. If you just sit down in front of your doctor and say "make me better" you are setting yourself up for a great deal of pain.

- Guiseppi

cat1955
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

catrn755  
Email

« Reply #18 on: Jan 24th, 2008, 8:33pm »

A neurotoxin from the pituitary? Are you a snake?

Maybe your "tinnitis" is from taking too many meds. Namely acetaminophen...tylenol, excedrin migraine, etc.

Your name implies that you are an MD....are you really??? because I am having a difficulty with that.

Carol
IP Logged
Kevin_M
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

withered branches grow green again.

« Reply #19 on: Jan 24th, 2008, 8:37pm »

Please post all links relating tinnitus to neurotoxin from the pituitary, and/or the occipital lobe's role in it.

IP Logged
Ace
New Board Newbie
USA 

Email

« Reply #20 on: Jan 24th, 2008, 10:20pm »

I have the ringing too. Who the fuck is this guy?

Oh BTW are we allowed to swear onthis board?
IP Logged

My Head Hurts Too
chewy

Email

« Reply #21 on: Jan 24th, 2008, 10:26pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Nice try Ace.

clap on............clap off
IP Logged
Annette
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Australia 

Veni Vidi Velcro

Email

« Reply #22 on: Jan 24th, 2008, 11:01pm »

on Jan 24th, 2008, 8:12pm, JEG_43MD wrote:

The tinnitus your hearing is spurious brain activity. Neurons just firing like crazy... and for no reason. You can actually hear your brain activity when its really out of sync (such as in a cluster). No different than being able to hear Doritos in your head when you chew them.

I could leave the explanation at that and get flamed by all my "friends" but I will finish this explanation...

Oh yeah, forgot to say that the reason the nerves are firing is due to an errant immune response that releases a neurotoxin from the pituitary. Think of it this way....If you had the nerve ending in your hand and had an eye dropper of this neurotoxin... one drop on the nerve and it starts to go crazy....

O.K. How do I know this...I'll skip the chemistry piece for now because being able to hear your own brain activity is way more interesting....I had "tinitus" for years with my headaches and a little bit of it without my headaches. Then things got out of control thanks to Prednisone. It made my disease so bad that my Occipital lobe of my brain would be so hyper-stimulated that the tinitus was loud enough I couldn't hear anything else. I say occipital lobe because when I would move my eyes to the left or right...the tinitus would spike. It was like a swooshing sound. And 1 puff off a cigarette made the whole thing that much worse.  

So I don't tell my doctor about this because he will think I am crazy "Hey doc. I can hear my brain" So I met up with the 2nd Neuromuscular authority in the world at Ohio state. I told her what I just told you and said I could manipulate my medications to aggravate my occipital lobe at will and create the tinitus feeling. We bet $1. I took 2 days to drop one of my medications and then I got an fMRI scan of my brain. What do you ya know...there was hyperactivity around the pituitary and the occipital lobe was off the chart. That pretty much it. I know what the tinitus is. I can make it worse and I can make it better. But I can't make it go away.

Sorry for the long post but that's how it is-

J

Oh my goodness ! I have really refrained myself from posting but this is too much.

JEG, I believe you have schizophrenia, please go see a psychiatrist as soon as possible before you hurt yourself or someone else.
IP Logged

Mediocrity knows nothing higher than itself; but talent instantly recognizes genius.
Arthur Conan Doyle
Brew
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Low Four!

« Reply #23 on: Jan 24th, 2008, 11:03pm »

Annette, he doesn't have schizophrenia. He has cranial-rectal inversion syndrome.
IP Logged

Always remember that you're unique, just like everyone else.
Gator
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer

« Reply #24 on: Jan 24th, 2008, 11:08pm »

In other words:

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss