Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 17th, 2024, 6:30am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « 108 hrs and counting since last attack !! »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   Cluster Headache Help and Support
   Cluster Headache Specific
(Moderator: DJ)
   108 hrs and counting since last attack !!
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: 108 hrs and counting since last attack !!  (Read 590 times)
ronan76
New Board Newbie
Ireland 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

108 hrs and counting since last attack !!
« on: Feb 4th, 2008, 11:06am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

hi all...  

<rant>

firstly thanks a lot for all the information / support / encouragement over the last few weeks... especially a couple of weeks ago when i was a gibbering mess... its great to find a place where you can relate to other people.. (helen (Le Limey) gets a special mention).  

Its pretty impossible for someone who has not experienced CH firsthand or as a family member of a sufferer to really understand ..so thats why this place is so supportive.

Anyway I think (fingers crossed) i may be at the end of a cycle.. (otherwise the diclofenac potassium is really kicking in after 2 full weeks @ 3 times a day...). Anyway i haven't had an attack since 3am on 31-Jan-2008 ...  
*notably the last day before spring began...

I had a fun weekend.. and was kind of "waiting for one" last night when i went to bed - (its hard to shake that feeling !) ... but it never arrived..  

I cant say my head feels 100% clear yet but its definetly getting there...and over the weekend i just felt a change..like something was different....i cant explain it.

Below is a summary of the last 4 weeks for me and the meds i took....hopefully this may help someone in a similar situation to me i.e an episodic CH sufferer.....  

I could not even contemplate chronic CH nor offer advice.. I only wish you as many pain free days as possible..  

Started 3rd Jan
1 or 2 attacks a night for the first few days.. increased to 4-6 every 24 hours .. was taking imigrin nasal spray which stopped the attack after 15-40 mins but as i could only take 2 sprays in 24 hours i needed to change to something else.. attacks continued for 7-14 days at that rate.. i was now on zomig which personally worked better for me as i could take more than 2 in 24 hours..

neurofen..paracetemol, codeine did nothing although i did get in the habit of taking two paracetemol with the zomig..
(My poor liver Undecided )

After about 2 weeks my doc went down the preventative road and put me on cataflam (diclofenac potassium) , 1 tablet 3 times a day..  

after a day or two the attacks reduced to an average of 2 every 24 hours I but felt like sh1t most of the days... shadowy..nausea..moody..grumpy..irritable..etc Smiley
however the attacks reduced.. and significantly after a week on cataflam..I also introduced red bull and strong coffee into the equation and took them if i was feeling shadowy or at any sign of a possible attack during the day..  (they helped thanks for the recomendation from this site)

i had a couple of nights without attacks last weekend.. then a couple of nights with (albeit milder than usual)... and now none since thursday...  
Ended 28th Jan  

I'm hopeful and thinking positive that it's over but taking nothing for granted yet , i dont think i'll accept its gone  until i've gone about 3 weeks without......  however if its not gone its on the way out the door and i'm going to boot it up the arse as its leaving !!!

Best of luck to you all...  and thanks again..

</rant>
« Last Edit: Feb 4th, 2008, 11:07am by ronan76 » IP Logged
Guiseppi
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

Re: 108 hrs and counting since last attack !!
« Reply #1 on: Feb 4th, 2008, 11:36am »

Always awesome to hear someone's kicking the beasts ass for a change! Please do stick around off cycle and "lend an oar" to the effort around here. Your personal experiences could be what saves some other poor soul from a KIP 10!

Congrats on the pain free time, wishing you a LENGTHY remission!!!

Guiseppi
IP Logged

Why are all sensors, seeking intelligent life, pointed AWAY from earth?
DennisM1045
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

One wave at a time!

DennisM1045   DennisM1045
Email

« Reply #2 on: Feb 4th, 2008, 12:14pm »

I'm glad to hear you are getting to the other side of the cycle Ronan.  

Like Guiseppi said, stick around and offer your experience to the new-comers.  It feels good to give back.

I hope your break is a long one.

-Dennis-
IP Logged

Dancing the dance since 1995 ... Family member since 2007 ... No longer alone
hotprestwich
New Board Junior
England 

Fuck the devil

Email

« Reply #3 on: Feb 4th, 2008, 12:23pm »

im in the same boat, ive had maybe 1 attack in the last 7 days, somtimes still have shadows that can last all day but no attack, i know the beast is still in my head but i think he's almost out the door,
ive been med free this cycle apart from 02 and coffee
i havent had to breath any 02 for 5 days now,
but i hate the allday shadow land thing its dealable but a pain,  
today im more hopefull as last night no attack and no shadows this morning yeahhhhhhhhh!
but we will see,
i know that feeling of going to bed expecting a headache to come on but nowt follows,  
i hope you get at least a 30 year remision...
heres to kicking beast ass headbanger
IP Logged

In heaven there is no beer so why not drink it while we´re here
ronan76
New Board Newbie
Ireland 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #4 on: Feb 4th, 2008, 12:37pm »

on Feb 4th, 2008, 12:23pm, hotprestwich wrote:

i hope you get at least a 30 year remision...
heres to kicking beast ass headbanger

double that back to you dude !

I'm going to stay on the cataflam as recommended by the doctor until the end of the week.. if i go 5-7 clear days without an attack she said she would reduce the dose to one a day..

stopping preventatitives all of a sudden is not recommended.

Shine on you crazy diamonds !
« Last Edit: Feb 4th, 2008, 12:38pm by ronan76 » IP Logged
LeLimey
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Great_Britain 

OUCH-US - Less "ME" and more "WE"

lelimey  
WWW Email

« Reply #5 on: Feb 4th, 2008, 12:50pm »

Ronan I'm over the moon for you - long may it last!!!

Helen  Smiley
IP Logged

The arsehole I'm divorcing needs to get a life and stop stalking mine

otakuhouse
New Board Newbie

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #6 on: Feb 4th, 2008, 5:26pm »

Hey man I'm with you... Last night I slept for the first time in three weeks without getting woken up by Voldemort. I sit here expecting my 6pm but no shadows or anything.  

Funnily enough my last attack was almost 3 years to the date, as i look back on notes. Always the solstices - january and june and during periods when work makes me lack for sleep.

My new plan is to always make sure that around those times of year I exercise plenty and sleep as much as possible on a regular schedule.

Also I don't recommend hitting tylenol / cod during an attack, always brings one on for me.

Now if I could just drop two cigarettes a day from my routine...

« Last Edit: Feb 4th, 2008, 6:05pm by otakuhouse » IP Logged
ronan76
New Board Newbie
Ireland 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #7 on: Feb 5th, 2008, 7:34am »

ok so.. last night i woke up at 1am and 4:30am.. suppose the body clock is a bit messed up... anyway no attack but i kind of paniced (you know that feeling where you can feel every little twinge in your head and associate it with a possible incoming attack..lying awake, trying to relax .. argh! its so annoying !) .. anyway i took a zomig just to be safe.. as I just wasn't sure... maybe it could have kicked in maybe not... but it didn't..  

Typical after posting on this yesterday ... I hope i haven't jinxed myself.. Smiley ... I should have waited until i was clear about 2 weeks...  Regardless its still on the way out of me... just gotta stay positive..

One thing i have noticed though is that my Jaws are sore.. maybe i'm chomping or grinding my teeth at night due to the stress of the last month...  any of ye have sore jaws ? I open my mouth wide quite a bit just to stretch it out and get some reflief.. and also put a cold bottle of water against my face... feel a little bit shadowy.. hmmmmm

anywho.. talk later
IP Logged
Guiseppi
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #8 on: Feb 5th, 2008, 10:14am »

I have caps on 2 of my teeth where I clenched my jaws so hard I actually fractured the tooth! Several years ago Jonny posted that picture of the trigeminal (sp?) nerve and it made perfect sense!

Hang with that pain free time, this place loves a winner!

Guiseppi
IP Logged

Why are all sensors, seeking intelligent life, pointed AWAY from earth?
George_J
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

White-Breasted Nuthatch

Email

« Reply #9 on: Feb 5th, 2008, 10:20am »

on Feb 5th, 2008, 7:34am, ronan76 wrote:

Typical after posting on this yesterday ... I hope i haven't jinxed myself.. Smiley ... I should have waited until i was clear about 2 weeks...  Regardless its still on the way out of me... just gotta stay positive..

I wouldn't sweat "jinxing" yourself.  Beast can't read.

Glad to hear you're coming out the other side on this thing--hearing that someone has licked another cycle and beaten the Beast once again just makes my whole day.

All the best,

George
IP Logged

Ah! The foreigners put on such airs
Wearing the tangerine suits
And their harlequin eyes.
The pain they inspire
Draws in harmonica melodies
And the feathers of birds
Which flame up at their touch.
It all comes to light in the sheer
Debonair.
(Ellen)
hotprestwich
New Board Junior
England 

Fuck the devil

Email

« Reply #10 on: Feb 5th, 2008, 10:57am »

hang in there man , i 'm having same experiences, woke up this morn with shadows but no attack, i know he's on the way out but he's dragging his hooves,
the last 2 weeks have been a huge difference to last month, at least now i can get on with things,  
i would love to have a beer, but dont wanna bring the bastard back, i'm gonna wait a couple more weeks i think,
i get 2 days with nothing and i think its all over then the shadow lands come,  
i think we're defo on the better side of the cycle
IP Logged

In heaven there is no beer so why not drink it while we´re here
ronan76
New Board Newbie
Ireland 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #11 on: Feb 5th, 2008, 11:47am »

on Feb 5th, 2008, 10:57am, hotprestwich wrote:
i would love to have a beer, but dont wanna bring the bastard back

I had some guinness friday and saturday... probably should have waited another week... but i had no beer since new years ..and the rugby was on.. Smiley  

I didn't get any attacks over the weekend but i'm wondering if the beer is the reason i'm shadowy today....  
anyway will see how the next few days goes.. best of luck to you mate.. keep me posted on how you get on ...
IP Logged
PollyPocket
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Someone I am is waiting for my courage.

Yennyfur_D  
WWW Email

« Reply #12 on: Feb 5th, 2008, 12:53pm »

on Feb 5th, 2008, 7:34am, ronan76 wrote:

One thing i have noticed though is that my Jaws are sore.. maybe i'm chomping or grinding my teeth at night due to the stress of the last month...  any of ye have sore jaws ?

Congrats on the painfree time and hope its a long remission! Great that you're staying positive- always a plus.

I get that sore jaw feeling too (some on here would say its cuz I talk too much Wink ) but can usually knock that down with a couple tylenol.  Ice works too Smiley

Wishing you all the best,
Jen
IP Logged

“Life is all about timing... the unreachable becomes reachable, the unavailable become available, the unattainable... attainable. Have the patience, wait it out It's all about timing.” - Stacey Charter

"If I don't remember it happening, it never happened. Wink " - Tori
sandie99
New Board Hall of Famer
Finland 

Wish it, dream it, do it - inspite the pain!

« Reply #13 on: Feb 5th, 2008, 12:54pm »

Ronan, that's wonderful! I hope that the beast will stay away for a long, long time! Smiley

Lots of PF wishes,
Sanna
IP Logged

CH happends, Live anyway! PF days to us all!

"Do what you can and let God take care of the rest. Leave your heart wide open and always wish for the best" (Sanna Hillu)

"No matter how far out your dreams are, it's possible" (Marketa Irglova)

Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss