Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 17th, 2024, 3:29am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Changes, changes and The Beast »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   Cluster Headache Help and Support
   Cluster Headache Specific
(Moderator: DJ)
   Changes, changes and The Beast
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Changes, changes and The Beast  (Read 157 times)
Kris_in_SJ
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

There's no place like home.

Email

Changes, changes and The Beast
« on: Feb 6th, 2008, 8:10pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Well, for all the old-timers who know me ... I'm finally realizing the truth of how this monster morphs.

I've always been episodic - cycles about 5 years apart.  Then, I was shocked by an episode about 6 months ago cos' it had only been 3 years (yes, I know how lucky I've been to have so much pain-free time).

Now, shockers of all shockers - I'm cycling again - just 6 months since the last one.  This one seems to be a little different though.  I started high-dose Verap right away after the first hit, but I seem to be getting an attack only every 3-4 nights.  Also, the time has changed.  I used to get them every evening at 9:00.  Now I get awakened by them at 11:30 or so.  This has been going on for about 3 weeks now.  Even with the Verap, the intensity of each hit is consistent (7-Cool and 9mg of Melatonin each night hasn't helped a bit.  Usually I start out with a hit every 3-4 nights, ramp up to 1 a night, then start ramping down again once the Verap kicks in.  What the hell is going on here!?

I worry I'm becoming chronic.  I've avoided a Pred taper this time because the last one nearly made me crazy.  Thank goodness Trex still works like a charm.

Sorry for the rant, but I'm in quite a state, and wishing that 5 year break would make its way back to me.  Plus, I miss you guys.  Thanks for listening.

Hugs,

Kris
IP Logged

I'm a small woman in small town being chased by a VERY BIG BEAST!
E-Double
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Are we ourselves?

Edoubleitk   Edoubleitk1
Email

Re: Changes, changes and The Beast
« Reply #1 on: Feb 6th, 2008, 8:27pm »

Awe Kris...don't sweat it!!!
I know easier said then done but really try to remain yourself = positive!!

as far as chronic goes, you know the schpiel: 1yr without 30days consec pf time.

Just do your best and it will pass.

Eric
IP Logged

I can't believe that I have to bang my
Head against this wall again
But the blows they have just a little more
Space in-between them
Gonna take a breath and try again.
lionsound
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

breathe

« Reply #2 on: Feb 6th, 2008, 9:27pm »

well, we missed you too Smiley

it's nice to hear from you, Kris.  
I wish it was because you won the lottery or something... and not that your noggin is throwing you for a loop. it stinks when you don't know what to expect.

somewhere on the meds board are posts about taking more than 9mg of melatonin, if you are interested.  

The best med is support and we are here for you.hug  
be well and PF!
-rori
IP Logged
kcopelin
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

good grief

« Reply #3 on: Feb 6th, 2008, 10:49pm »

Kris, you could try upping the melatonin to 12 or even 15 mg.  or add benadryl...

you're not chronic yet so please don't rush it,okay.
Sorry your head is weirding out.
PFDAN
kathy
« Last Edit: Feb 6th, 2008, 10:50pm by kcopelin » IP Logged

Words count, chose carefully.
Travis1980
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #4 on: Feb 6th, 2008, 11:05pm »

Hey Kris,

I'm rather new here, but been dealing with Episodic CH for 10 years. Just this year I have gotten two cycles for the first time ever. i usually go 2 years between. This year everything is different, especially the time of day when I get a hit. I am 2 1/2 months into this cycle. Previously, I had never had one longer than 3 weeks. So I feel your fear of going chronic. My only saving grace has been Pred-Verap taper with 12mg Melatonin every night. I can actually go a week without a heavy hit like this and for me, the side effects of the Pred. are far better than the imitrex. Good luck buddy
IP Logged
Guiseppi
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #5 on: Feb 7th, 2008, 9:54am »

Welcome back! Sorry the slamming has begun again. I didn't start getting the night time terrors until I was in my 40's. Wonderful how he morphs so often just to dick with you!

If the verapamil loses its effectiveness consider either adding lithium or trying lithium as a stand alone. It's been my first line prevent forever and is still holding strong as i head into my "silver" years!

Like E sez, it's mostly your attitude, you've always had the right one, you'll kick its ass again.

Guiseppi
IP Logged

Why are all sensors, seeking intelligent life, pointed AWAY from earth?
hotprestwich
New Board Junior
England 

Fuck the devil

Email

« Reply #6 on: Feb 7th, 2008, 12:00pm »

so sorry that the beast has come back to you,
the mophing thing is weird, happens all the time for me,
i used to get hit every year then i got a 3 year break then a 5 year break, i guess it mophed into a better thing but every cycle i get is different,
i hope for you that its a short one, mine  last normaly 6-8 weeks, this cycle i had a month of hell with the most frequent and intense headaches and now for the last 2 weeks i havent had an attack, dont know if the beast has gone but im glad for the pain free time,
lets hope after this cycle that you get an even longer remision,
btw, i'm med free only 02 and coffee
welcome back
IP Logged

In heaven there is no beer so why not drink it while we´re here
nani
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Got kudzu?

« Reply #7 on: Feb 7th, 2008, 3:59pm »

Hey, girlfriend... I've missed you!  Kiss

Sorry you're back, though. I can't offer much else but support, prayers and vibes... and you know you've got those.
Keep us posted, and don't be a stranger.  

hugs and love, nani,
who is worried about becoming episodic after finding Clusterbusters...  Wink
IP Logged

Others may come and go, but MY power is MINE.
sandie99
New Board Hall of Famer
Finland 

Wish it, dream it, do it - inspite the pain!

« Reply #8 on: Feb 8th, 2008, 4:09am »

Kris,

I'm so sorry that the beast is the reason you're back. Sad It's good to see you back in here, though. Smiley

Lots of PF wishes,
Sanna
IP Logged

CH happends, Live anyway! PF days to us all!

"Do what you can and let God take care of the rest. Leave your heart wide open and always wish for the best" (Sanna Hillu)

"No matter how far out your dreams are, it's possible" (Marketa Irglova)

Kris_in_SJ
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

There's no place like home.

Email

« Reply #9 on: Feb 9th, 2008, 7:52pm »

Thanks for all the good wishes and vibes, my friends.  I hate being a stranger and only coming around when I'm cycling - I used to get really pissed off at others who did that.

However, I've given up my business and started working for a really great company.  Love the job, but my time is truly limited lately.  I'm so thankful I don't get hits during the day!  Nobody at my job knows about this horrible thing I suffer - sure would like to keep it that way!

I have a doc's appt. on March 1st.  If I'm still getting hit, I guess I'll have to try something different.  I'll try to check in more often.

Hugs,

Kris
IP Logged

I'm a small woman in small town being chased by a VERY BIG BEAST!
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss