Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 2nd, 2024, 1:32pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « emotional stress »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   Cluster Headache Help and Support
   Cluster Headache Specific
(Moderator: DJ)
   emotional stress
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: emotional stress  (Read 657 times)
octobermay
New Board Newbie
USA 

Email

emotional stress
« on: Feb 8th, 2008, 12:28pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hi, i was reading the topic of "CH triggered by emotional stress".  I think it is a very interesting topic and would like to learn more about it and hear opinions from others.  i figured i would start a new topic since the other one just turned into a fight that isnt even about the topic.  Thank you.
IP Logged
monty
New Board Veteran
USA 

Re: emotional stress
« Reply #1 on: Feb 8th, 2008, 12:53pm »

I don't remember that I ever had a cycle start from emotional stress - once, I pulled a series of late nighters and all nighters for work, and the night I finished the project and went home to relax, a cycle started.  Same thing for triggering - I don't know that I ever had a headache that I would directly attribute to emotional stress.  

That doesn't mean that some others might not have emotional stress as a trigger - many differences between us. It doesn't mean that emotions might not increase my CH frequency or intensity - maybe it does to some degree. But I haven't seen a clear pattern on that.
IP Logged

The outer boundary of what we currently believe is feasible is far short of what we actually must do.
starlight
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #2 on: Feb 8th, 2008, 2:12pm »

I think it is important topic also.  One thing I am confused about is when people say oh no stress isn't involved I only get them when I relax after stress not during the stress---hmmm--well I don't think that that means that stress is definitely not involved in those cases.  It seems like there would still be stress involved like in Monty's example.
Like the system is getting overloaded with stress and then when relaxing it comes out or something like that--my point is it would seem stress would still be a factor.
Just my 2 cents.
IP Logged
Guiseppi
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #3 on: Feb 8th, 2008, 2:39pm »

I've never had a CYCLE start from too much or too little stress. The tarting has always seemed to be completely random. Once ON CYCLE,  sustained stress will bring on an attack. Stress involves so many incredibly complex chemical reactions, reactions that can cause a wide array of other physical ailments, heart disease, ulcers, etc. It wouldn't suprise me if we eventually learn there is a direct relationship just because of the chemicals that increase or decrease! (Guiseppi's un-educated 2 cents worth! Wink)

Guiseppi
IP Logged

Why are all sensors, seeking intelligent life, pointed AWAY from earth?
monty
New Board Veteran
USA 

« Reply #4 on: Feb 8th, 2008, 2:43pm »

on Feb 8th, 2008, 2:12pm, starlight wrote:
I think it is important topic also.  One thing I am confused about is when people say oh no stress isn't involved I only get them when I relax after stress not during the stress---hmmm--well I don't think that that means that stress is definitely not involved in those cases.  It seems like there would still be stress involved like in Monty's example.
Like the system is getting overloaded with stress and then when relaxing it comes out or something like that--my point is it would seem stress would still be a factor.
Just my 2 cents.

I see your point -  in my case, it was more physical stress and sleep disruption. But it was stress - at some level, the body doesn't distinguish between adrenaline and cortisol from 'emotional' causes or 'physical' causes.  The 'never relax' philosophy is pretty common here, which is a pro-stress attitude.    
IP Logged

The outer boundary of what we currently believe is feasible is far short of what we actually must do.
George_J
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

White-Breasted Nuthatch

Email

« Reply #5 on: Feb 8th, 2008, 3:01pm »

No, I've never had a cycle that was brought on by stress.  Neither can I attribute any single attack I've had over the years to stress, or the lack of it.  

That's not to say, of course, that it may not be a factor for other people--it's simply my personal experience.  

Best wishes,

George
IP Logged

Ah! The foreigners put on such airs
Wearing the tangerine suits
And their harlequin eyes.
The pain they inspire
Draws in harmonica melodies
And the feathers of birds
Which flame up at their touch.
It all comes to light in the sheer
Debonair.
(Ellen)
Annette
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Australia 

Veni Vidi Velcro

Email

« Reply #6 on: Feb 8th, 2008, 4:13pm »

Stress affects a whole array of chemicals and neurotransmitters in the body so I am sure it has some effects on the person. It can be considered as a trigger just like anything else.

Triggers are very individualised. Some people get triggered by exercise, for others its abortive. Some get triggered by alcohol, others not. Some get triggered by fumes others dont ....

When considering stress, one also needs to take into account other factors such as  

1- Personality : some personalities are more prone to stress than others.
2- Past history: our history is as unique as a ones finger print, some has been through various traumas in life and hence have more stress and or is more susceptible to stress.
3- Current environment: if on top of CH, one is also dealing with other problems such as financial, marital, work related issues etc .. then one maybe hypersensitive to stress.
4- Genetic: its well known that some people are biologically more prone to stress chemicals due to their genetic makeups.
5- Pre existing illnesses: other medical conditions that make them more stressed, such as depression, panic attacks, bipolar, schizophrenia, phobia of various kinds, even chronic physical pain from injuries etc
6- Effects of medication : some medication affect moods such as depakote, prednisone ...  

The interesting point is that it appears emotional stress CAN trigger a whole new episode in someone who had never had CH before, which was something not previously documented.  

Furthermore the longitudinal study showed 2 people developed an isolated episode of CH following severe emotional stress did not go on to have more episode of CH for up to 9 years is extremely interesting, to me at least.

Just the awareness that this can actually happen is important. Hopefully further studies will shed more light into this subject.

My 3 cents  Smiley
IP Logged

Mediocrity knows nothing higher than itself; but talent instantly recognizes genius.
Arthur Conan Doyle
Annette
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Australia 

Veni Vidi Velcro

Email

« Reply #7 on: Feb 8th, 2008, 4:34pm »

on Feb 8th, 2008, 2:43pm, monty wrote:

I see your point -  in my case, it was more physical stress and sleep disruption. But it was stress - at some level, the body doesn't distinguish between adrenaline and cortisol from 'emotional' causes or 'physical' causes.  The 'never relax' philosophy is pretty common here, which is a pro-stress attitude.    

Sleep disruption can certainly lead to emotional stress. Prolonged lack of sleep causes a person to become cranky and grumpy.  

Emotional stress causes a release of cortisone and adrenaline, the "fight or flight" response. While the body stays stressed, cortisone is high and we all know it helps curb CH due to its powerful anti-inflammatory effect. However, as a person relaxes, the level of cortisone produced will lessen, allowing CH hits to break through. This phenomenon is common in people taking prednisone orally. Once they start tapering down, they can experience an increase in CH activities.

However, one cant remain in a stressed state forever, the body will eventually "run out " of cortisone and adrenaline and the person "crashes". No one can withstand emotional stress indefinitely, although the length of time can vary greatly from person to person. This will also lead to a drop in these stress hormones allowing break through of CH activities, if the person is already in cycle.

Therefore Monty, when you said you would only get CH after a period of either physical stress or problem sleeping, not during it and therefore stress doesnt affect your CH may not be a very accurate way of assessing it. Its possible that you have not experienced emotional stress long enough where the body simply "runs out" of cortisone and adrenaline to cause an experience of CH while you are still feeling under stress?

JMHO
IP Logged

Mediocrity knows nothing higher than itself; but talent instantly recognizes genius.
Arthur Conan Doyle
monty
New Board Veteran
USA 

« Reply #8 on: Feb 8th, 2008, 4:49pm »

The example of me going into cycle after job related sleep loss was the closest thing to the original idea of stress for me. I wouldn't say I only get CH after this kind of stress - it has usually been very much a calendar and clock thing, and has sometimes started even when there was very little stress.  But the time I referred to above was dramatic - several days of burning the midnight oil and pushing myself, and I get home and sit down to watch TV, close my eyes about 5 minutes later, and the moment my eyes closed and I gave a sigh of relief, I went into cycle.  

So yes, I would say it is one factor that can affect things. I think that chronic stress could play a role as well (the exhaustion of adrenaline or cortisol idea makes sense).  

« Last Edit: Feb 8th, 2008, 4:50pm by monty » IP Logged

StressFree
New Board Veteran
USA 

James4:8 I'm a moral failure, but there is hope...

« Reply #9 on: Feb 14th, 2008, 6:14pm »

Sorry for the double post. I should have looked more thoroughly to find this new thread. Here is my note:

To those who often state "it's the hypothalamus". I must again say, there is more involved. Many threads here have covered physical stress such as illness being a trigger for cluster cycles. Also quite a few threads on emotional stress (fine line between physical and emotional right?) or the relaxation following stress. My question to those who seem to think there is nothing to this "stress" factor, why do many begin getting cluster attacks later in life if it is a matter of a "broken hypothalamus"? Seems to me, something must have broken it then. Many factors - all need to be studied to find a cause (or causes) and a CURE.
IP Logged
superhawk2300
New Board Old Timer
USA 

Email

« Reply #10 on: Feb 14th, 2008, 7:54pm »

I don't know about stress bring on a cycle. For me, perhaps an attack once in cycle, but I don't think the cycle.

That being said I do experiece lots of emotional stress once in cycle and I get very emotional. I don't know if it is psycho, or just a physical response to getting the crap kicked out of me and being over tired.

I know I do feel better after coming here though....
IP Logged
enterre
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

« Reply #11 on: Feb 15th, 2008, 12:25am »

on Feb 8th, 2008, 4:13pm, Annette wrote:

The interesting point is that it appears emotional stress CAN trigger a whole new episode in someone who had never had CH before, which was something not previously documented.  

Furthermore the longitudinal study showed 2 people developed an isolated episode of CH following severe emotional stress did not go on to have more episode of CH for up to 9 years is extremely interesting, to me at least.

Just the awareness that this can actually happen is important. Hopefully further studies will shed more light into this subject.

My 3 cents  Smiley

You know, the very first time I had an isolated episode of CH was the night after a severely emotional/stressful day.  I had then only had isolated episodes after being CH free for several months.  I just recently started a cycle after 3 years of being CH free, this being the first time I've ever had a headache 2 days in a row.  I think mine are probably related to emotional stress in some way.  I'm pretty sure I've always been pretty stressed right before they started hitting me.
IP Logged
BarbaraD
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Hugs to ya

Email

« Reply #12 on: Feb 15th, 2008, 7:21am »

Be that as it may - I'm still having trouble accepting it. I seem to get hit when I RELAX - then I get stressed. Over the years I've actually watched this and during the really stressful periods (when I was episodic) I NEVER got hit (sometimes for months), but when I totally relaxed - wham!  

Since I went chronic, my high cycles seem to hit during times of very little stress.  

The bad part is the older I get the more laid back I've gotten and the less stressed I seem to get and the more I get hit. Sometimes I just can't win...... Smiley

Hugs BD
IP Logged

What don't kill ya, Makes ya stonger!

Miz_D
New Board Junior
USA 

Me and my amazing hubby Steve

Email

« Reply #13 on: Feb 15th, 2008, 9:55pm »

I too, don't know if "Stress" triggers my CH, although I definately wouldn't rule it out as it can trigger many other conditions and while not 'causing them' per se, it can certainly exacerbate them.  

This last 4 month bout didn't seem to be triggered by 'acute stress' meaning nothing stressful in particular happened in my life, but I did move to a different country this year and even though I considered it 'good stress' (excitement, etc) it was stressful just the same. So I guess I would say I had "accumulative stress" if anything.  

One thing though I wanted to share was that during my little 4 month nightmare, I started attending a 'restorative yoga class' and which I have been attending once per week. During the first class I became aware of amount of stress my body was holding onto (neck, shoulders and fingers odly enough) and releasing it through stretching was such a relief that it litteraly brought me to tears.  I was so upset, frustrated and in pain during those 4 months that the 1.5 hour class was one of the few things I looked forward to and even though I am having some wonderful painfree time right now, I still go because, well....it feels good Grin Not advocating yoga at all for anyone, just sharing my personal experience.

Also, when I am getting hit, like many people, when I grab the old Darth Vadar mask and hope like hell the 02 works, I always try to do deep breathing exercises to keep away the panic. I often fall into a kind of meditative state by breathing or rocking which usually keeps me calm enough for the 02 or a shot of Imitrex to kick in. So, for me, calming my stress level definately helps me make it through.  

Lastly, when I get really stressed out, I find talking about my frustrations with someone who truly understands helps also. This last time I called Linda at Family Services and that really made a world of difference to my attitude and made it easier to continue approaching my CH in a rational manner. So, to sum it up, I think stess and the control of it definately effects my CH to some degree even if it doesn't trigger it..

Of course, hormones has quite an effect on my CH also, but that's another thread Cool
IP Logged

My disabling chronic illness is more real than your imaginary medical expertise...
playmesomeblues
New Board Newbie
USA 

« Reply #14 on: Feb 18th, 2008, 1:04pm »

In the late 80's or early 90's a neurologist told me that people tend to get clusters after they've been stressed.  For myself, this has remained true.  Before the holidays in 2007, I was stressing about work, family, my personal business-yes the one job I really want, etc.  That stress diminished as items were ticked off the list.  Now I'm in clusterville again.
IP Logged
MingAn
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #15 on: Feb 18th, 2008, 1:46pm »

In my experience extreme stress (and, remarkably, extreme relaxation) have increased the severity of CH, but as far as I can tell, haven't brought them on.  

In regards to actually brining on cycles, I tend to be affected by the seasons, namely winter and summer (winter the go away, if I'm lucky, summer they come).
IP Logged
StressFree
New Board Veteran
USA 

James4:8 I'm a moral failure, but there is hope...

« Reply #16 on: Feb 19th, 2008, 12:13pm »

I have gone up to 6 years between cycles. In these times, I've had episodes of shadows which put  me into extreme fear of a cycle starting. Often I was able to use Meprobamate, a mild anti-anxiety angent, during these times. I do believe it has helped to avoid cycles. I've also cited use of a TENS machine during cycles to help straighten out the nerves and get things back to normal. I think staying relaxed is more viable as an abortive of given attacks and/or cycles than is the idea to "stay stressed". Yoga, meditation and relaxation techniques can help with this as much as an Rx. Prayer and devotional time is the main ticket for me these days. Here is an analogy I've considered regarding some of our meds: Just like blood pressure meds keep the vessels more constantly open, and methysergide keeps them tightened up - our stress hormones may be kept constant to avoid attacks and perhaps even cycles. I know everyone is different, but I've found this to be true in my own case. It sounds like there are quite a few of us that this fits. I know many who "poo-poo" ideas of cluster headache being stress related. I'm sure some of this comes from statements we have all heard about "just take an asprin" and such. Never-the-less the "it's all in the hypothalamus" ideas have had limited benefit as far as I can tell.
IP Logged
kcopelin
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

good grief

« Reply #17 on: Feb 19th, 2008, 12:26pm »

when I was episodic there seemed to be no rhyme or reason to why my cycles started...or ended for that matter.  I went through the death of both parents without a cycle starting, divorce-no cycle-though the CH or my ex's inability to deal with me, was the reason for the divorce.
I can definitely say that now, chronic for three years, relaxing definitely triggers a CH.  No doubt about that.  Stress does not help, but it doesn't trigger a cluster.
Just my experience.  Obviously we are all different, so if yoga and meditation help you-press on.  

PFDAN y'all
kathy
IP Logged

Words count, chose carefully.
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss