Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 2nd, 2024, 7:38pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Oxygen Question »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   Cluster Headache Help and Support
   Cluster Headache Specific
(Moderator: DJ)
   Oxygen Question
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Oxygen Question  (Read 673 times)
Kathy_P
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Oxygen Question
« on: Feb 8th, 2008, 10:14pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hello, I need a little help. I have a script for oxygen that says 15 L with a mask. I work at a home health agency so they gave me an E tank but said it would only go to 7L and I should not use a mask with it. I'm not sure exactly what to ask them for. They offered a concentrator but that doesn't go to 15L either.
I tried Oxygen before and it wasn't very effective.

Kathy
IP Logged
Jimi
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Who loves ya baby!

Hendrix1473  
WWW Email

Re: Oxygen Question
« Reply #1 on: Feb 8th, 2008, 10:20pm »

They make all kinds of regulators that fit an E tank. For me, 02 won't work until I get up to the 12-15 range. For some it works at a 10. 7lpm is too little though. It sounds like the regulators that they have there are 7's. If they can't get you a 15, you need to find some place that will. They all will fit an E tank
IP Logged

I am convinced that life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it.

Guiseppi
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #2 on: Feb 8th, 2008, 10:21pm »

You can find regulators on the internet that'll go higher, 7 LPM probably won't do it. The only way 02 is effective is if you get pure oxygen to the lungs. No outside air, no re breathed air, just pure oxygen. Other wise you do not get the "vasoconstricting" effect you need.  

You need a "non re breather" mask, and a high flow regulator. Check out the oxygen link on the left. Batch has done a great job of laying out the set up for effective oxygen treatment. Concentrators can't provide the level of pure oxygen you need to provide relief of a CH.  Good luck to you!

Guiseppi
IP Logged

Why are all sensors, seeking intelligent life, pointed AWAY from earth?
DennisM1045
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

One wave at a time!

DennisM1045   DennisM1045
Email

« Reply #3 on: Feb 9th, 2008, 6:10am »

You could try to find another supplier.  7lpm isn't going to get it done.  

Suppliers are also nervous about the mask because of the elastic strap.  If you leave it on your face, fall asleep and then run out of O2, you suffocate.  We don't want that to happen.  Just cut the elastic strap off.  That way if you do nod off it'll just fall off your face leaving you to breath room air.

Good luck Kathy.  

-Dennis-
IP Logged

Dancing the dance since 1995 ... Family member since 2007 ... No longer alone
BarbaraD
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Hugs to ya

Email

« Reply #4 on: Feb 9th, 2008, 6:34am »

This is just something I don't understand. I've NEVER laid down when sucking O2. I CAN'T lay down when getting hit, so what's the problem with the non-rebreather mask?  

But by all means cut off the strap and hold it in place while you pace. It's just never been a problem for me. Get about 50 feet of hose so you CAN pace.  

But 7L isn't going to do you much good. Get another supplier and get at least 15L. AND a non-rebreather mask!!

Hugs BD
IP Logged

What don't kill ya, Makes ya stonger!

totka2
New Board Old Timer
Hungary 

Oxygen

« Reply #5 on: Feb 9th, 2008, 11:31am »

Buy a 15 LPM regulator

http://health-beauty.listings.ebay.com/Respiratory-Aids_Oxygen-Cylinders -Accessories_W0QQdfspZ2QQfromZR4QQlopgZ1QQsacatZ75080QQsocmdZListingItemList

Higher flow and better mask work better.
« Last Edit: Feb 10th, 2008, 9:51am by totka2 » IP Logged

http://www.clusterheadache.hu
Linda_Howell
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Hearing is one thing.  Listening is another.

N/A   N/A
WWW Email

« Reply #6 on: Feb 9th, 2008, 6:55pm »

Kathy,  

Give me your address in a PM and I will send you a brand new regulator that goes to 15 lpm.

Linda
IP Logged

Kindness, is gladdening the hearts of those who are traveling the dark journey with us.
Kathy_P
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #7 on: Feb 10th, 2008, 10:25pm »

Thanks for all the help. I came home from my new doctor with Imitrex shots, Verapamil and the script for  
O2.  
Kathy
IP Logged
Varmin
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #8 on: Feb 16th, 2008, 5:39pm »

on Feb 8th, 2008, 10:21pm, Guiseppi wrote:
You can find regulators on the internet that'll go higher, 7 LPM probably won't do it. The only way 02 is effective is if you get pure oxygen to the lungs. No outside air, no re breathed air, just pure oxygen. Other wise you do not get the "vasoconstricting" effect you need.  

You need a "non re breather" mask, and a high flow regulator. Check out the oxygen link on the left. Batch has done a great job of laying out the set up for effective oxygen treatment. Concentrators can't provide the level of pure oxygen you need to provide relief of a CH.  Good luck to you!

Guiseppi

I still don't understand why CH sufferers don't utilize concentrators at home and save tanks for backup.  
As long as you keep the system serviced and filters clean then the concentrators CAN provide the level of pure O2 needed to abort an attack.
I have a high output concentrator that provides a consistent stream of 97% O2 at a maximum flow rate of 16 LPM.  
Most concentrators have a max level of 5 to 8 LPM flow...you have to find the high output type. They usually look the same as the lower output models but have duel 8 LPM outputs that are connected to a "tee" and then to the non-rb mask. They can be found but you'll need to call around to find em.  
It has been a lifesaver for me!!
IP Logged
seasonalboomer
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

If I think hard enough maybe it'll go away.....

« Reply #9 on: Feb 16th, 2008, 5:53pm »

because most people don't get access to a 16 lpm concentrator........
IP Logged

-----------------------------------------------------
seasonal boomer
-----------------------------------------------------
Varmin
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #10 on: Feb 16th, 2008, 6:03pm »

Seen em on Ebay several times. If you have a script for 10 or 15 LPM all you have to do is find a medical supplier that has one. You would be surprised at how many O2 suppliers have one or two of the high output units laying around and don't even know it!
IP Logged
DennisM1045
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

One wave at a time!

DennisM1045   DennisM1045
Email

« Reply #11 on: Feb 17th, 2008, 8:25am »

I'm glad the concentrator works for you.  You are the first that I've heard of.  So I have some questions.

When I first got O2 I looked into using a concentrator.  What scared me off was the concentrator O2 level deminishes with time until an alarm goes off for servicing.  That alarm is set for 87% concentration.  How do you maintain 97%?  Is your alarm more sensitive?  Or do you just keep a more aggressive service schedule?  3% might not make much of a difference.  13% most certainly would.

Also, why do you consider the concentrator better for home use than tanks?  After all, tanks don't need servicing.  Just refills.

Thanks...

-Dennis-
IP Logged

Dancing the dance since 1995 ... Family member since 2007 ... No longer alone
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss