Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 17th, 2024, 7:40am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « 6 DAYS WITH CH »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   Cluster Headache Help and Support
   Cluster Headache Specific
(Moderator: DJ)
   6 DAYS WITH CH
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: 6 DAYS WITH CH  (Read 654 times)
patch
New Board Newbie
Australia 

6 DAYS WITH CH
« on: Feb 9th, 2008, 6:37pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hi everyone,
Sorry about this rant but i need to vent.

I had my first cluster headache attack on Monday.
 I'm getting fed up as I'm still waking up with pain in my left eye with a headache, okay it's very mild compared to pain when through early this week.

Its my Son's Birthday today and I feel like letting the whole family down as I'm not up too much, and I missed my Daughter 16th Birthday in hospital.

Plus it making me very bad tempered which isnt like me at all.
Does anyone get bad tempered with CH?

Plus what is with people and friends and family thinking you got a bad migraine, and I feel belittled as they think  
your moaning about headache,

Does any one have any tips how explain CH to people with  
making think its a migraine?

better stop whinging or you will ban me  from this  site.
patch
Cry
« Last Edit: Feb 9th, 2008, 6:39pm by patch » IP Logged

Life is not measured by the number of breathes we take, but by the number of moments that take our breath away.
AussieBrian
New Board Hall of Famer
Australia 

Got beer?

Re: 6 DAYS WITH CH
« Reply #1 on: Feb 9th, 2008, 6:47pm »

Whinge, whine and wimper to your little hearts content, sweetheart. It's what we're here for and, yes, we all get a little down sometimes.

Have a look at the 'Getting to know you' board and right up the top is a thread called Letter to Employers and Colleagues.  It might be a bit of a help to you.

Keep smiling regardless because I'm about to scratch your name into a tinnie and drink to your damned fine health whether you like it or not.

So there.
IP Logged

Vulcrania horrendus - twice daily, then two at night in lieu of sleep.
Brew
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Low Four!

« Reply #2 on: Feb 9th, 2008, 6:49pm »

Sounds to me like you need:
  • A diagnosis
  • A preventative regimen
  • Some abortive tools at the ready

...in that order.

Do you have a neurologist who specializes in headache treatment? If not, you need to get to one a.s.a.p. Otherwise it's just going to be more of the same.

No wonder you're cranky. I'd be too.
IP Logged

Always remember that you're unique, just like everyone else.
Guiseppi
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #3 on: Feb 9th, 2008, 6:52pm »

Give up on explaining the pain to people, those that don't get it, don't get it! Wink

I get bad tempered when I'm getting hit, it's natural, it hurts like hell! Just don't cycle into a pity party or we'll line up to kick your butt for you! When anyone loses to the beast, we all lose. Go ahead vent, piss, moan and whine, because in this place, we all undertsand. Then take a deep breath and get ready to kick the beasts ass again. We will all be here for you! Wink

Love and vibes your way, sounds like you need them.

Guiseppi

edited for spelling...dang I miss spell check! Grin
« Last Edit: Feb 9th, 2008, 6:52pm by Guiseppi » IP Logged

Why are all sensors, seeking intelligent life, pointed AWAY from earth?
Linda_Howell
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Hearing is one thing.  Listening is another.

N/A   N/A
WWW Email

« Reply #4 on: Feb 9th, 2008, 7:05pm »

Patch,  

Print this out and hand it to the people in your life that you care about...screw the rest of them.  Having something like this in writing that they can see, is sometimes more believable than you standing there trying to explain it.  
 Might want to not print the part about mushrooms.  That isn't relevant to what you want to accomplish here with them.

http://www.miqel.com/clusterheadaches/clusterheadaches.html

Linda
IP Logged

Kindness, is gladdening the hearts of those who are traveling the dark journey with us.
patch
New Board Newbie
Australia 

« Reply #5 on: Feb 9th, 2008, 7:09pm »

Thanks Guys,
I'm not going to let CH beat me, hubby is still going to get the BBQ going today.
 I'm have damn good try at celebrating the week my Jam eaters(kids) turn 13 and 16 years old.

Might have forgot about having a tinnie or two, but hey Brian  got one with my name on Smiley

My neurologist is working with GP is hopefully on Monday I can get some 02 sorted and a preventative regimen started  and I'll feel better.

thanks for the support, I feel better already
Patch

Smiley
IP Logged

Life is not measured by the number of breathes we take, but by the number of moments that take our breath away.
chewy

Email

« Reply #6 on: Feb 9th, 2008, 7:23pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Whip out an imitrex shot and inject right in front of them. That ussually gets their attention and shifts their opinion of your "headache".
IP Logged
otakuhouse
New Board Newbie

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #7 on: Feb 9th, 2008, 7:39pm »

Hi patch,

The first serious bout was the hardest for me because of not knowing.

I find the hardest thing about this condition is not merely the pain but how it affects your personal relationships. I always fall into a guilt ridden seclusion and anger at the universe. I know for an absolute fact that my girlfriend is going through just as much emotionally as I am. The only difference for her is the lack of pain.

I have a great neurologist right now who lectured me on the necessity of me expressing honestly and directly to my loved ones the severity of this condition. I guess in normal life I'm the kind of person who doesn't like to burden others and will complain very little and tries to make bad situations sound better than they are. I can't do that with these. I have to state as directly as possible that this is hard.

My new metaphor is that during a cycle I am abducted several times a day at random and tortured by the worst, most expert black ops torturers in the world and then completely bewilderingly dropped right back into normal life.

You know, the earliest experiments into torture conducted by governments weren't even that mean.

Or you could mention how the pain is worse than childbirth and you are currently going through it several times a day.

Many of us have stories along the lines of: me breaking my arm playing hockey and only going to the doctor a week later after my work said i should check out why arm wasn't functioning like normal. To me the broken arm didn't feel that bad comparatively.

I am convinced we need a new name for the condition that expresses its severity without the loaded connotations of "suicide headaches".

A hard thing for my loved ones is the rollercoaster of emotions... Relief is so instant that I am often post headache exhilarated and full of a desperate joie de vivre. I feel like I gotta enjoy things before the next one comes in.  

But eventuallly the lack of sleep and pain catches up and last week I was on the knife's edge of a nervous breakdown.

Today I'm headache free for 24 hrs and finally slept last night.

I have come to believe however that people who refuse (or as a coworker once accused me of making up the condition) to attempt to understand are revealing their true nature. That coworker I mentioned I'd classify as one of the worst types of people there are. Someone here always says, hearing is one thing, understanding is another.

Your loved ones will understand if you share with them no matter how difficult it is.

Come here for support, do your homework, save up your willpower, and know that it will be hard. But it will not kill you, and there will be relief, and on the other side will be the life you love. Don't let go of that.
« Last Edit: Feb 9th, 2008, 7:42pm by otakuhouse » IP Logged
Annette
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Australia 

Veni Vidi Velcro

Email

« Reply #8 on: Feb 10th, 2008, 12:13am »

Welcome Patch, sorry you have CH but I am glad your GP is working with your neuro to get you oxygen. Have you tried imigran ? the injection is very expensive here but the nasal spray works fairly quickly too.

I am a supporter for my husband who has CH and we live in Sydney. If you need anything or even just an ear or a shoulder, PM me or drop me an email, anytime.

I have given up explaining CH to people who have no idea. I have a DVD with a couple of clips of my husband taking a kip 10 and play it to people on the portable DVD player these days. They all get the shock of their lives and shut up quite quickly watching just a couple of minutes of that.
IP Logged

Mediocrity knows nothing higher than itself; but talent instantly recognizes genius.
Arthur Conan Doyle
DennisM1045
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

One wave at a time!

DennisM1045   DennisM1045
Email

« Reply #9 on: Feb 10th, 2008, 9:00am »

Hi Patch,

I'm so sorry the beast is beating you down like this.  Others have given you some great advice and perspective.  I'm going to add my 2 cents Wink

I'm a father of 10 and can relate.  You just aren't yourself when your in cycle.  By being very honest with my family and my co-workers I've found understanding from those that are capable of it.  The rest just need to be tuned out.

My wife Andrea and the kids are so sensitized to my headaches that they seem to know when one is coming before I do.  It hurts them to see me suffer but they don't fear them any more.  

Knowing they understand doesn't stop the guilt of changing the rythm of things and it doesn't stop me from becoming grumpy.  But knowing they understand the source is the pain and that it's not really me helps ignore me  Cheesy

Work with your Doctors to get your weapons in order.  Those that love you will be there to support you.  You will find a way to work through this together.

Wishing you many PFDAN soon...

-Dennis-
IP Logged

Dancing the dance since 1995 ... Family member since 2007 ... No longer alone
sandie99
New Board Hall of Famer
Finland 

Wish it, dream it, do it - inspite the pain!

« Reply #10 on: Feb 10th, 2008, 12:55pm »

Patch,

I sure am cranky when ch is around. Shadows and milder hits make me very irritated indeed! Otherwise I'm "nmot-kill-a-fly" - type, but then I'd hit anyone who is bothering me - or drank my last red bull (heh heh), no question about it. Wink

I hope that your gp and neuro will find you a great combo to fight against ch.

Wishing you PF days,
Sanna
IP Logged

CH happends, Live anyway! PF days to us all!

"Do what you can and let God take care of the rest. Leave your heart wide open and always wish for the best" (Sanna Hillu)

"No matter how far out your dreams are, it's possible" (Marketa Irglova)

outofcommission
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Veteran
USA 

damn......no place to park

« Reply #11 on: Feb 11th, 2008, 12:25am »

pretty much agree with all these replies. make sure you have ch. alot ch treatments are useless for other conditions and vice versa. some cures for other HAs will set a CH on fire. no one but of us can understand a ch. i don't ever bother trying to explain it to people. anything you try give it a few days before you make a judgment. keep o2 by your bed along with your other arsenal so you can grab it fast.  if your not getting sleep, jump on the board and feed your brain. we,re here 24/7. ch will strain your sanity but trust me you will get stronger. a little crazier but stronger.
IP Logged

that which does not kill you will only make you crazy, obsessive, and sleep deprived
patch
New Board Newbie
Australia 

« Reply #12 on: Feb 12th, 2008, 1:12am »

Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley
Thank you everyone for your kind words and support, the beast has gone apart from slight headache when I wake up.
My head is clear, it such a amazing high, I want it yell "ITS GONE"over and over again  from the mountain tops.

I could not got through the last few days with out  all of help, thanks ever so much your all stars.

A whole new world has opened up to me, I had not even heard of CH before last week, the roller coaster of emotions you go through with CH are enough to last life time.

I've  been to the Doctors and have my o2 sorted out and ready for next time it rears it ugly ulgy head.
then i have follow up with neuro in month time.

I'm going to make up for  lost time now and celebrate my kids birthday which missed out on last week.

I have started to read information on CH and can take it all in much better now head is clear.

thanks again
Patch

Cheesy
« Last Edit: Feb 12th, 2008, 1:14am by patch » IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #13 on: Feb 12th, 2008, 10:14am »

You now grasp the most important point in CH, live your life between the hits! Hoping the remission lasts an eternity!

Guiseppi
IP Logged

Why are all sensors, seeking intelligent life, pointed AWAY from earth?
BarbaraD
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Hugs to ya

Email

« Reply #14 on: Feb 12th, 2008, 11:31am »

on Feb 9th, 2008, 6:37pm, patch wrote:

Does anyone get bad tempered with CH?

patch
Cry

Of course NOT -- we're all just the most even tempered people you'll ever want to meet Grin Grin Grin

Sorry kid - you're not alone in this one -- get in line... OF COURSE we get bad tempered with CH? But HERE we understand so go ahead a vent all you want. Remember we love you even with a bad temper....

Hugs BD
IP Logged

What don't kill ya, Makes ya stonger!

Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss