Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 17th, 2024, 6:11am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Couldnt do it »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   Cluster Headache Help and Support
   Cluster Headache Specific
(Moderator: DJ)
   Couldnt do it
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Couldnt do it  (Read 776 times)
Lebowski
New Board Newbie
USA 

The Dude Abides!

Email

Couldnt do it
« on: Feb 10th, 2008, 8:24am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Got invited out with some friends and students from work last night and was too scared to drink any alcohol.  I like to have a few beers here and there but never when I am in my cycle. This is a pretty good bar that has some really nice micro brews on tap too.  And trying to explain to them why I cant drink is exhausting too.  

The typical 'Oh I had a migraine once' and 'My Aunt gets migraines'
Oh well, I should be out of my cycle soon. Right before the summertime cookouts.
IP Logged
DennisM1045
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

One wave at a time!

DennisM1045   DennisM1045
Email

Re: Couldnt do it
« Reply #1 on: Feb 10th, 2008, 8:29am »

I know the feeling too well.  But having to explain the consequences is still not as bad as bringing the beast out of his cage is it.  

Good on you for having the intestinal fortitude to resist the temptation.  The beer isn't going anywhere.  They'll make more when you're out of cycle.

-Dennis-
IP Logged

Dancing the dance since 1995 ... Family member since 2007 ... No longer alone
E-Double
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Are we ourselves?

Edoubleitk   Edoubleitk1
Email

« Reply #2 on: Feb 10th, 2008, 9:28am »

Been there.
I used to be afraid of it triggering an attack.
One day I tried and it did not as it turned out I went chronic and like many who are (though some to still have it trigger) alcohol doesn't seem to trigger.

I did however refuse to let that get me down or get in the way of having a good time.

It's about the people not the coc-ktail!  
Though there are a hell of a lot of good brews out there Wink ( better that be a wink in jest than horner's syndrome lol)

E
IP Logged

I can't believe that I have to bang my
Head against this wall again
But the blows they have just a little more
Space in-between them
Gonna take a breath and try again.
Bob_Johnson
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #3 on: Feb 10th, 2008, 9:38am »

People REALLY don't want the details. Make up a one sentence reason for not drinking like: "it causes a reaction to a medicine I'm taking." Doesn't have to be true or accurate--just enough to satisfy their passing curiosity.

If their response suggests a genuine interest in you, then ask them how much they want to know. That's the test of the relationship!

There is an old cartoon character who is asked, "How are you?" He responds, "Do you want to know or is this a social question?"
IP Logged

Bob Johnson
George_J
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

White-Breasted Nuthatch

Email

« Reply #4 on: Feb 10th, 2008, 9:52am »

Easy decision for me.  It's an inevitable trigger when I'm in cycle--I'd rather smack my big toe with a 3 pound hammer.

Most of the people I know well know that I don't drink at all when I'm in a cycle, so I don't usually have to explain it anymore.  

YMMV.

All the best,

George
IP Logged

Ah! The foreigners put on such airs
Wearing the tangerine suits
And their harlequin eyes.
The pain they inspire
Draws in harmonica melodies
And the feathers of birds
Which flame up at their touch.
It all comes to light in the sheer
Debonair.
(Ellen)
monty
New Board Veteran
USA 

« Reply #5 on: Feb 10th, 2008, 9:54am »

on Feb 10th, 2008, 9:38am, Bob_Johnson wrote:
People REALLY don't want the details. Make up a one sentence reason for not drinking like: "it causes a reaction to a medicine I'm taking." Doesn't have to be true or accurate--just enough to satisfy their passing curiosity.

Good advice! Will save people lots of time and energy.
IP Logged

The outer boundary of what we currently believe is feasible is far short of what we actually must do.
AussieBrian
New Board Hall of Famer
Australia 

Got beer?

« Reply #6 on: Feb 10th, 2008, 9:56am »

Tell 'em to shove it, Lebowski.  A man says 'no' to a beer and that should be the end of the subject. No explanation required.

If it makes you feel any better I'm drinking your share for you.  Just let me know when it's time for pay-back and we'll simply take it from there.

You'll find I'm a man of my word.
IP Logged

Vulcrania horrendus - twice daily, then two at night in lieu of sleep.
Brew
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Low Four!

« Reply #7 on: Feb 10th, 2008, 9:58am »

For a number of reasons (not the least of which is this beast), I've opted not to drink anymore. I may change my mind at some point, but not yet.

When I'm in a social situation where there is the least bit of pressure to "have just one," I simply look the other person directly in the eye, and in a very calm but authoritative voice, say "I can't." The key is the eye contact. Own the situation and it's usually not a problem.

Sometimes I have to repeat myself.
IP Logged

Always remember that you're unique, just like everyone else.
chewy

Email

« Reply #8 on: Feb 10th, 2008, 10:03am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Either "I'm on medication" or " I'm alergic to alcohol" work well.
IP Logged
maryo
New Board Junior
USA 

Johnny & Roy puzzle where to apply the O2 mask

« Reply #9 on: Feb 10th, 2008, 10:18am »

I can see this is a guy thread. My female perspective -- you shouldn't have to defend your choice. Maybe just tell them you joined them for their great company.
IP Logged
Brew
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Low Four!

« Reply #10 on: Feb 10th, 2008, 10:32am »

on Feb 10th, 2008, 10:18am, maryo wrote:
I can see this is a guy thread.

What?
IP Logged

sandie99
New Board Hall of Famer
Finland 

Wish it, dream it, do it - inspite the pain!

« Reply #11 on: Feb 10th, 2008, 12:51pm »

I don't drink alcohol simply, because I know that it will triggger shadows as soon as I've swallowed and a hit soon after. The devil visits me often enough, so I do not want to risk it; alcohol isn't worth it.

Sanna
« Last Edit: Feb 11th, 2008, 11:19am by sandie99 » IP Logged

CH happends, Live anyway! PF days to us all!

"Do what you can and let God take care of the rest. Leave your heart wide open and always wish for the best" (Sanna Hillu)

"No matter how far out your dreams are, it's possible" (Marketa Irglova)

Stinger
New Board Junior
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #12 on: Feb 10th, 2008, 1:48pm »

I'm so slow, it took me years to figure beer triggered a bad one.  I would just walk away from the BBQ or whatever for an hour and come back and drink more.  Now that I finally know, I don't drink during my cycle.
IP Logged
ronan76
New Board Newbie
Ireland 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #13 on: Feb 10th, 2008, 2:37pm »

interesting thread... and i will definetly use that reply in future...  
this month i got sick of explaining myself and you are right most people aren't interested..cause they have their own problems..if they are they will ask ..  

Anywho.. last weekend 2nd/3rd feb i felt the beast was gone..3 days without and attack.. on recollection it was too soon to booze but anyway i did that weekend..
Although i didn't get an attack i was shadowy monday and tues..last week and feeling about 80%... I blame the beer and myself for being stupid  Undecided !!!

anyway this weekend i just stayed away from it even though i'd gone 10 days without an attack...  i just wanted to be sure it was over and not temp him back....  
From my experience although beer didn't bring on a direct hit.. it didn't help and made me feel like sh1t for a day or two after..
IP Logged
otakuhouse
New Board Newbie

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #14 on: Feb 10th, 2008, 3:32pm »

this is not just a guy thing. i find more often than not that it's women who are let down by my inability to drink and will prod and ask repeatedly why not. the sad thing however is that if you tell someone merely that you can't drink they instantly deduce most of the time that you are an alcoholic. or mormon (please forgive me mormons, just a joke).  

Bob's response seems to be the best - i've used it myself.

i cut out drinking due to fear of cluster headaches for several years. but then two neurologists told me that drinking alcohol will not cause a cycle, it's just something one should stay clear away from in cycle. i guess it's different for everyone but i've found that i can drink on occassion. life's short.

it's an interesting conundrum though. i always say that the pain is one thing, the sense of isolation and guilt is the other part of this condition. just feeling some solidarity in recognizing that particular social situation here...
IP Logged
Brew
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Low Four!

« Reply #15 on: Feb 10th, 2008, 6:26pm »

on Feb 10th, 2008, 3:32pm, otakuhouse wrote:
the sad thing however is that if you tell someone merely that you can't drink they instantly deduce most of the time that you are an alcoholic. or mormon.

Sad for them, perhaps. In that it's their deal and their problem. No need to make it yours.
IP Logged

Lebowski
New Board Newbie
USA 

The Dude Abides!

Email

« Reply #16 on: Feb 10th, 2008, 8:05pm »

Thanks for the replies and the advice guys. I still had a fantastic time chatting it up with them. Plus I made it home at a reasonable time!
IP Logged
starlight
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #17 on: Feb 10th, 2008, 9:17pm »

Whoever has a problem with it, think of it this way, they're the ones who will be waking up with a hangover--not you!!!  One way to look at it--always makes me feel better.
IP Logged
outofcommission
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Veteran
USA 

damn......no place to park

« Reply #18 on: Feb 10th, 2008, 11:43pm »

on Feb 10th, 2008, 8:24am, Lebowski wrote:

The typical 'Oh I had a migraine once' and 'My Aunt gets migraines'
Oh well, I should be out of my cycle soon. Right before the summertime cookouts.

ya my friends used to give me the old i can relate migraine speech too until the say me during a screamer. then they said "man my aunt aint never had no sh#t like that before. needless to say they didn't give me any static about drinking a beer anymore. they also know when i'm not in cycle, i'm the one pushing them to have a beer.
IP Logged

that which does not kill you will only make you crazy, obsessive, and sleep deprived
outofcommission
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Veteran
USA 

damn......no place to park

« Reply #19 on: Feb 10th, 2008, 11:57pm »

on Feb 10th, 2008, 9:56am, AussieBrian wrote:
Tell 'em to shove it, Lebowski.  A man says 'no' to a beer and that should be the end of the subject. No explanation required

thats some good advice. i tell them beer is a trigger for me. if they don't understand then piss on 'em. usually the guy who would give static is the same kind of twerp that would give me static for crackin' one open at 9 in the morning. also keep this in mind. it's your head not theres. hope your cycle ends soon lebowski.
IP Logged

that which does not kill you will only make you crazy, obsessive, and sleep deprived
BarbaraD
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Hugs to ya

Email

« Reply #20 on: Feb 11th, 2008, 10:38am »

Ya know, all my life (even before CH) I've either opted to take a drink or NOT - my choice. I don't OWE anyone any explanation - yes, I'll have a beer or NO THANKS.  

Those of you who've been around me (at conventions and other times) know, I drink when I want and don't when I don't want. What's the problem? You don't have to explain yourself to anyone about taking a drink.  

If you feel really out of place NOT drinking go mix you a "mixed drink" - put some 7-up in a glass and pretend it's vodka and 7 - who's to know the difference (I've done that at business dinners a LOT as well as straight orange juice - never give the other guy an UP on you in business). Virgin Mary's are always good too (I love the celery and olives - keeps up the old strength).  

But never apologize for NOT taking a drink. And you don't owe anyone any explanation. It's YOUR choice NOT to take one.  

Hugs BD
IP Logged

What don't kill ya, Makes ya stonger!

sandie99
New Board Hall of Famer
Finland 

Wish it, dream it, do it - inspite the pain!

« Reply #21 on: Feb 11th, 2008, 11:31am »

Because I don't drink, those who do not know me make assumptions about why and ask for explenation. Timo's former boss decided to ask directly if I have "bun in the oven". Roll Eyes

At this day and age one shouldn't have to explain why she isn't drinking - and for a woman, the are a lot more reasons than just pregnancy.

Sanna
IP Logged

CH happends, Live anyway! PF days to us all!

"Do what you can and let God take care of the rest. Leave your heart wide open and always wish for the best" (Sanna Hillu)

"No matter how far out your dreams are, it's possible" (Marketa Irglova)

seasonalboomer
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

If I think hard enough maybe it'll go away.....

« Reply #22 on: Feb 11th, 2008, 11:36am »

Most of the people I drink with know my story. All I gotta do is point to my head and say, "I've got my bad brain thing goin' right now." They get it. Several have seen me get hit and they now say, "Whoa dude, that's too bad, bummer."

Life is easy with communication.

Scott
IP Logged

-----------------------------------------------------
seasonal boomer
-----------------------------------------------------
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss