Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 17th, 2024, 7:01am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « night time headache change »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   Cluster Headache Help and Support
   Cluster Headache Specific
(Moderator: DJ)
   night time headache change
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: night time headache change  (Read 361 times)
maryo
New Board Junior
USA 

Johnny & Roy puzzle where to apply the O2 mask

night time headache change
« on: Feb 10th, 2008, 10:25am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Has anyone out there as a result of prophylactic treatment (mine: Verapamil) had their headaches change rather than go away?

I can't say I'm unhappy but instead of the intense right-sided headaches 4-5 a night I'm getting one of those at midnight (aborted by oxygen) and around 3 or 4 a.m. a bilateral headache that is less painful but covers more area (my whole head, with referral to neck and shoulders). Oxygen doesn't abort these but imitrex does, and cafergot takes about 90% of it away. When I get up in the morning whatever headache I still have dissipates. I take 15 mg Melatonin, and 2-3 times a week take clonopin at night so that I can get some decent sleep.

I posted a few weeks earlier about frustration with my doctor. I have interviewed two other doctors and am using one on a trial basis (by mutual agreement) who has referred me to a neurologist. Am having an MRI this week. Just don't know what the heck is going on.
IP Logged
Bob_Johnson
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

Re: night time headache change
« Reply #1 on: Feb 10th, 2008, 10:39am »

Direct answer: no medical evidence that Verap induces such changes.  

Changes in location of pain, time, duration of a cycle, etc. are all common experiences with CH. It's important not to regard the descriptions which you read as carved in stone. You can drive yourself nuts worrying about shifts like this one rather than being aware of the major side effects of your meds and just monitoring yourself for them and taking action if a MAJOR change in pain levels, changes in vision, etc.

I hope that your new doc can help you stabilize on as few meds as possible so that you can learn what is YOUR stable pattern. I'm really concerned about people who, reading about this-and-that-med, change around too often & quickly. This pattern prevents you body from stabilizing on one regime and increases the issue of drug interactions.
IP Logged

Bob Johnson
maryo
New Board Junior
USA 

Johnny & Roy puzzle where to apply the O2 mask

« Reply #2 on: Feb 10th, 2008, 1:13pm »

thanks bob.

I've decided the regime I'm using, while not ideal, is working so-so and will do until I'm in with the new neuro. However, this year the headaches have ratcheted up from a mild mixed chronic-episodic pattern that was easier to live with than all previous episodes, to worst ever. So I am looking forward to the neuro visit, and to getting my eyes checked out as I have been seeing halos around lights during this cycle.
IP Logged
Stinger
New Board Junior
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #3 on: Feb 10th, 2008, 1:42pm »

My headaches, as with most of you, seem to set their own schedule, same times each day, and then for some reason, change to an hour or two later for a period of time.  It could be the meds, just have never figured it out.
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss