Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 17th, 2024, 3:14am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Classic cluster, but pain in TMJ »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   Cluster Headache Help and Support
   Cluster Headache Specific
(Moderator: DJ)
   Classic cluster, but pain in TMJ
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Classic cluster, but pain in TMJ  (Read 1747 times)
peking0000
New Board Newbie
USA 

Email

Classic cluster, but pain in TMJ
« on: Feb 11th, 2008, 9:28pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I have all the classic cluster symptoms except the pain is directly in front of my left ear in the TMJ.  Does anyone else have the pain in this area?
IP Logged

Patty
MJ
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Re: Classic cluster, but pain in TMJ
« Reply #1 on: Feb 12th, 2008, 12:31am »

Hi peking.  

this may be the first I've heard of that location as a focal point of CH pain

The trigeminal nerve that is affected in cluster headaches runs a bit above the TMJ.

some pics here from a TN site showing relation to the joint. http://www.umanitoba.ca/cranial_nerves/trigeminal_neuralgia/manuscript/t ypes.html

It is possible to feel CH in the area in front and a bit above the ear. The trigeminal runs a bit above the ear and out to the temple and to the cheekbones, eye area and teeth. chin too I guess.
Google trigeminal nerve images. Their used to be an excellent image circulated here.

Can you describe your classic symptoms. And I assume tic deloureau (sic) has been ruled out. There are also many other issues that can mimic cluster symptoms.

Your pain location is a bit different than classic clusters.

I know mine may refer back to the area above the ear but is focused in the temple area and radiates from there. While most others is centralized around the eye and some in the cheekbones.

IP Logged

MJ
peking0000
New Board Newbie
USA 

Email

« Reply #2 on: Feb 12th, 2008, 3:44am »

Thank you for answering/asking.  Symptoms are they usually occur 1 hour after falling asleep or mid-night (2:13 tonight).  Seldom during the day -- those are tolerable or shadow pain episodes.  Left side, tearing eye/clogged sinus, cannot lie down, pace, rock, moan (quietly).  Must move/shake/rotate my left foot and leg.  It is not involuntary, but I have to do it.  The actual pain is not sharp.  It is intense burning, electric, wave-like.  I have had thoughts "I cannot live like this," yet if "10" pain scale means, screaming and out of control, mine are a 9.  Never have the urge to hit my head on something.  Direct ice only relief (partial).  Reminds me of labor where there is a crescendo, then it fades, then it returns.  As I said, directly in front of my ear canal (the TMJ).  There's a heaviness to my eye, lid droops, but no pain there.   No pain in temple.  The worst sessions are 2-3 hours.  Ends quite abruptly -- cannot go back to bed until it is totally over.  Toward end of season (beginning now, actually), the time is more like 1 hour.  I have them all year, but they are far worse from October through March.  This week, I started Melatonin (9 mg) and tonight is my first in 3 days.  Before it was 5-6 nights a week.  MRI/CT brain 2004, negative.  Neurologist 2004 "thought" it was cluster headaches.  He wanted to give me meds to lower my blood pressure, but my blood pressure was already low and have to function alertly for my job.  I've not been back and have kind of decided it's my lot and I have to stay above it myself.  It's like this other world at night, fine, but tired by day.  What else do you need to know?  Thanks for your time!
IP Logged

Patty
monty
New Board Veteran
USA 

« Reply #3 on: Feb 12th, 2008, 11:13am »

I have had the pain creep down my jaw into the teeth on a few occasions. My TMJ is usually where the jaw attaches to the skull, which is rather different.
IP Logged

The outer boundary of what we currently believe is feasible is far short of what we actually must do.
peking0000
New Board Newbie
USA 

Email

« Reply #4 on: Feb 12th, 2008, 1:27pm »

The TMJ locale seems unusual to CH, from all that I hear.  Am hoping MJ responds to me again as he seems to have some strong info.
IP Logged

Patty
MJ
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

« Reply #5 on: Feb 13th, 2008, 12:54am »

Hi again

I really dont have any strong info. There are many here with very good knowledge though.
I cant say you do or do not have CH. some symptoms fit others dont and Clusters are certainly not a one size fits all malady. This is not a place to be diagnosed for sure.

I think some further diagnosis should be taken up with your doctor.

Heres a site with some information that may or may not pertain to you.

excerpt; "TMJ-related pain tends to be cyclical and may return again in the future"
http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/001227.htm

Its worth a read.
IP Logged

MJ
thomas
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

"Hit like a phillips head into my brain."

« Reply #6 on: Feb 13th, 2008, 2:14pm »

My wife usually has hers in the jaw area as well, not uncommon.  Just not as common as the eyeball hit.  She does have them in the eye every once in a while too.
IP Logged

Religion and sex are powerplays. Manipulate the people for the money they pay. Selling skin, selling God, the numbers look the same on their credit cards. Triptans cause rebounds. Learn it, believe it, live it. I use triptans as the absolute LAST RESORT when treating my CH.
washed-out
New Board Newbie
Poland 

:]

« Reply #7 on: Feb 13th, 2008, 7:24pm »

It's too late to read all now (2 am Tongue) but I got one question:
does your ear go red?
IP Logged
Jonny
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Give me a shovel Ill dig my own grave!

WWW Email

« Reply #8 on: Feb 13th, 2008, 7:47pm »

See the orange nerve at the temple in this picture?, thats the nerve that delivers CH pain. Notice that it turns yellow as it goes into the jaws, the pain can go that far for some of us.

IP Logged

It is up to YOU to educate yourself and then help your doctor plan your treatment. If you just sit down in front of your doctor and say "make me better" you are setting yourself up for a great deal of pain.

- Guiseppi

peking0000
New Board Newbie
USA 

Email

« Reply #9 on: Feb 14th, 2008, 12:18am »

You have all been really helpful.  Think I'll take the advice and safe the diagnosis for the doc and learn and enjoy the site.  Thanks all!
(Nope, ear does not get red.)
IP Logged

Patty
peking0000
New Board Newbie
USA 

Email

« Reply #10 on: Feb 14th, 2008, 12:22am »

Thanks for the illustration, Johnny.  Millimeters don't really matter -- all the symptoms are pure cluster.  Guess I was just looking/hoping for any other diagnosis.  Thanks for your time.
IP Logged

Patty
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss