Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 17th, 2024, 8:05am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Hey Gang - It's been awhile... »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   Cluster Headache Help and Support
   Cluster Headache Specific
(Moderator: DJ)
   Hey Gang - It's been awhile...
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Hey Gang - It's been awhile...  (Read 562 times)
superhawk2300
New Board Old Timer
USA 

Email

Hey Gang - It's been awhile...
« on: Feb 12th, 2008, 11:18am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Seems to be a very used phrase around here but I'll help where it out - I'm back!

I guess it has been 2 years or so sicne my last post, which means I am in cycle again.

Shitty one to boot. Been about a month so far. Started with weird visual (non-pain) migranes - I've never had that before. Thought I torn my retina or something.

Seems as cycle goes on i am responding less and less to meds and even oxygen seems to be losing power. I'll been taking too many tripians and my doc yelled at me, but I ran out of O2 last night so I've been balancing risking a heart attack from too many meds and somne sort of breathing attack from hyper-ventalating for 2 hours in terrible pain. I usually get one hit per day like clockwork - been having up to three a day and now during the day, even on meds and O2. Last few days with less meds and no O2 they have been piling on.

Last cycle (3 years ago) was my first cycle on a verapamil / prednisoone taper. It seemed to make the cycle last forever but did seem to reduce the intensity of the hits. I am trying not to do a taper so the cycle ends quicker but after last nights 2 hour rocker that I am still feeling after shocks from I am re-considering.

I also am noticing that I am getting really emotional as the cycle goes on. Seems I want to bust out crying at a moments notice.

I feel a little stupid for being away for so long and now coming back because I am suffering and looking for help. I remember signing up for my account and I couldn't wait to help others - now I am back with my tail between my legs. My how the world turns........

Anywho, I look forward to reconnecting with some of you. Lots has changed since my last cycle with me and I am sure with you all as well.
IP Logged
BarbaraD
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Hugs to ya

Email

Re: Hey Gang - It's been awhile...
« Reply #1 on: Feb 12th, 2008, 11:26am »

Ok, SuperH, welcome back (and this time stick around and help others - that's what we do)...

Have you tried Red Bull (the energy drink)? That's helped a lot of us to abort an attack before it gets going good.

And the O2 - how many liters are you on and do you  have a non-rebreather mask? That's important - don't know if we'd established that the last time you checked in.  

What meds are you on?  

Melatonin (12-15mg) at night have helped a lot of us get thru the night hits.  

Go over to the left side and start reading up on the new stuff from the last couple of years.  

Hugs BD
IP Logged

What don't kill ya, Makes ya stonger!

superhawk2300
New Board Old Timer
USA 

Email

« Reply #2 on: Feb 12th, 2008, 11:34am »

Right when I dissapeared is when the Red Bull news come out as pretty reliable for some. I use the sugar free version to take my meds, then I jump on the O2.

I get "E" tanks delivered - not sure how many liters in there but they are the tanks that are about 2.5 feet tall. I usually get enough O2 out of them to abort 2 headaches.

I belong to a men's group and a close guy in it is my nero, so I get pretty good access to meds. I have Imitrex pills and injections, Relpax, Frova, Zomig, and Migrinal.

The melatonin is news to me however! Thanks for the info! I will run out an buy some ASAP! When / How do you take it?
IP Logged
nani
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Got kudzu?

« Reply #3 on: Feb 12th, 2008, 11:41am »

Hi Jamey. It's been awhile.  Smiley

Sorry you're having a bad time this cycle.  Sad

Melatonin, between 3-12 mgs a night, about 30 minutes before bedtime.

A taper, without a preventative, will only give you temporary relief. Odds are, once it's over the CH will come back stronger.  

Hang in there kiddo, this too shall pass.

Quote:
I also am noticing that I am getting really emotional as the cycle goes on. Seems I want to bust out crying at a moments notice.  

Are you sure it's not menopause?  Wink  

hugs, nani
IP Logged

Others may come and go, but MY power is MINE.
superhawk2300
New Board Old Timer
USA 

Email

« Reply #4 on: Feb 12th, 2008, 11:45am »

Thanks for the laugh nani! They are hard to come by today and it felt good.....
IP Logged
Brew
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Low Four!

« Reply #5 on: Feb 12th, 2008, 11:46am »

on Feb 12th, 2008, 11:34am, superhawk2300 wrote:
I get "E" tanks delivered - not sure how many liters in there but they are the tanks that are about 2.5 feet tall.

479 liters. At 15 lpm, it should last about 32 min. At 10 lpm, it should last about 48 min.
IP Logged

Always remember that you're unique, just like everyone else.
BarbaraD
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Hugs to ya

Email

« Reply #6 on: Feb 12th, 2008, 11:51am »

on Feb 12th, 2008, 11:34am, superhawk2300 wrote:

I get "E" tanks delivered - not sure how many liters in there but they are the tanks that are about 2.5 feet tall. I usually get enough O2 out of them to abort 2 headaches.

The melatonin is news to me however! Thanks for the info! I will run out an buy some ASAP! When / How do you take it?

I meant how many liters does your regulator go to... 15 -20 liters is the acceptable rate around here these days with a non-rebreather mask (the kind with the bag on it).  

The melatonin (I take 12-15mg) at night before bedtime works pretty well. You can get them in 3 and 5 mg tabs.  

Nani's right about the taper without the prevent. Talk to your neuro about a prevent.  

Hugs BD
IP Logged

What don't kill ya, Makes ya stonger!

superhawk2300
New Board Old Timer
USA 

Email

« Reply #7 on: Feb 13th, 2008, 8:22am »

My regualtor goes up to 15 lpm. I used to use it on 10 and it worked (and saved a little O2) but this time around I got it cranked to the max, hence the running out.

I am going to the health food / vitamin store today and will grab some melatonin.

I also think my mask was screwed up, the little valve on the inside by the bag is a little sticky so I am going to try a new mask.
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss