Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 2nd, 2024, 11:01am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Question »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   Cluster Headache Help and Support
   Cluster Headache Specific
(Moderator: DJ)
   Question
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Question  (Read 446 times)
puppylove41
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

Question
« on: Feb 15th, 2008, 8:28pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

My husband would like to know how often do some of you use the oxygen. He just got it yesterday. He has used it 4 times today. Doctor said when they hit bad use it, well he gets hit lots. He is slowly taking off the meds the other doctors gave him because not helping anyway. I think we found a doctor that knows what he is talking about. Smiley
IP Logged
Kevin_M
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

withered branches grow green again.

Re: Question
« Reply #1 on: Feb 15th, 2008, 8:46pm »

I use a preventative but when things don't go right, three times a night is pretty consistent, as well as a breakthrough or two in the daytime.  Preventive med adjustments change that favorably for me.  Would be worse I know without any prevent but everyone is different in how they are affected.    
IP Logged
AussieBrian
New Board Hall of Famer
Australia 

Got beer?

« Reply #2 on: Feb 15th, 2008, 9:07pm »

on Feb 15th, 2008, 8:28pm, puppylove41 wrote:
Doctor said when they hit bad use it,

Pretty much all CHeads will tell you that the time to get on it is the very beginning of a hit. Don't postpone for so much as a minute.

Once the brute gets a foot in the door it becomes more and more difficult to shake.
IP Logged

Vulcrania horrendus - twice daily, then two at night in lieu of sleep.
DennisM1045
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

One wave at a time!

DennisM1045   DennisM1045
Email

« Reply #3 on: Feb 16th, 2008, 6:41am »

I happy to hear you found a Doctor that seems to know what he's doing.

I agree with Brian, get on the O2 at the first sign of an attack.  Once the beast is fully entrenched O2 might not shake him off.

You can't over use this stuff they way we use it.  Pure O2 won't hurt you so long as your lungs are in good shape.  Obviously your Doctor feels they are ok otherwise it would not have been perscribed  Wink

So tell your hubby to huff away and kill the beast.

I'm sorry if I've missed another post but what flow rate is he using?  What kind of mask?  Have you guys read through the supplemental guide to O2 on the OUCH-US site?  It's a must read and will help you get the most from your efforts.  You can find it here:

http://www.ouch-us.org/medications/oxygen/o2links.htm

Good luck and congrats on getting the rig.  I hope it works as well for you as it does for me.

-Dennis-
IP Logged

Dancing the dance since 1995 ... Family member since 2007 ... No longer alone
Batch
New Board Old Timer
USA 

FOX 2 - Check 6

Email

« Reply #4 on: Feb 16th, 2008, 9:18am »

I use oxygen therapy on every CH attack for as long as it takes to achieve an abort.  During a high cycle period, that could be 6 to 8 attacks in a 24 hour period.  I also use a flow rate above 15 LPM.  24 LPM is my minimum and it aborts the pain of an attack in significantly less time than a flow rate of 15 LPM.

AussieBrian is spot on target with his comments.  Oxygen therapy is far more effective if started as soon as possible after the first symptom indicating an attack is about to start.  Every minute you wait after that point before starting oxygen therapy lets the pain of a CH attack build to a higher level.  Nearly all the folks that use oxygen therapy on a regular basis to abort their CH attacks will tell you the higher the Kip pain level when you start the therapy, the longer it will take the oxygen to abort the pain.

If you watch your husband, you've probably been able to spot a pending attack before him.  Be a proactive supporter.  When you see an attack coming, tell him to get on the oxygen.  He'll probably question you at first, but after a while, he'll follow your suggestion without any hesitation proving Ivan Pavlov and B.F. Skinner were right.

Take care,

V/R, Batch

IP Logged

You love lots of things if you live around them. But there isn't any woman and there isn't any horse, not any before nor after, that’s as lovely as a great airplane. Man has one virginity to lose in fighters, and if it is a lovely airplane he loses it to, there is where his heart will forever be.
Brew
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Low Four!

« Reply #5 on: Feb 16th, 2008, 10:18am »

on Feb 16th, 2008, 9:18am, Batch wrote:
...he'll follow your suggestion without any hesitation proving Ivan Pavlov and B.F. Skinner were right.

But watch that buildup of drool inside his mask.
IP Logged

Always remember that you're unique, just like everyone else.
Guiseppi
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #6 on: Feb 16th, 2008, 11:31am »

Batch and that funny talking guy from down under  Winkare spot on. Use it every time the beast comes calling, the sooner the better. He should keep trying to find a decent preventative. I take lithium while I'm on cycle. At 1200 mg a day it cuts down 80-90% of my attacks and really reduces my need for oxygen.

Thanks for being a supporter, my wife has stuck by me thru 28 years of these things and has really helped to keep me sane! Supporters rock!!

Guiseppi
IP Logged

Why are all sensors, seeking intelligent life, pointed AWAY from earth?
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss