Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 2nd, 2024, 10:14pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « MRA »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   Cluster Headache Help and Support
   Cluster Headache Specific
(Moderator: DJ)
   MRA
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: MRA  (Read 483 times)
beachmusic

Email

MRA
« on: Feb 27th, 2008, 5:54am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

I am not sure the best place to ask this question and I know my doctor ultimatly will be the one but due to the fact that they scare the daylights out of me and getting a return call etc is on the near side of impossible I wondered if anyone here at any experince here.  I know your not doctors just trying to get alittle heads up beforehand.  
I am supposed to have an MRI and MRI next week and the scheduler said to expect to be in the closed machine for approx. 3 hours  Sad  ANYHOW  I would like and she agreed some meds for claustrophobia but she said they could interfere or skew the results of MRA.  Anyone ever heard of that?  I have always been able to take something in the past during a MRI.  But do NOT want to mess with the results of MRA.  Thanks,  Mary Ann
IP Logged
DennisM1045
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

One wave at a time!

DennisM1045   DennisM1045
Email

Re: MRA
« Reply #1 on: Feb 27th, 2008, 7:29am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

This link from Cedar-Sinai hospital's MRI/MRA unit suggests obtaining a relaxant or pain medication medication for those with Claustrophobia.

http://www.csmc.edu/9227.html

Do you know what med she was thinking about?

-Dennis-
IP Logged

Dancing the dance since 1995 ... Family member since 2007 ... No longer alone
beachmusic

Email

« Reply #2 on: Feb 27th, 2008, 9:44am »

I think anything to relax me like a valium or klonopin etc... I will read the link.  Thank you.
IP Logged
starlight
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #3 on: Feb 27th, 2008, 3:20pm »

3 hours?!?!  You sure he didn't say the whole appointment would take that long?
Don't know.  I had an MRI for CH as well--I am extremely claustrophobic--what I did is to close my eyes before going into the machine and then DO NOT open them (your eyes) until you get out.  That way--the claustrophia anxiety can't kick in b/c technically your body doesn't "know" it is in a closed space.  It worked for me anyway.  But 3 hours?  I dunno I would want meds if it was that long.  Good luck.

edited to say:  maybe what I had was a CAT scan--it was the one where there is all that noise and you listen to music.  Either way, the closing the eyes thing worked.
« Last Edit: Feb 27th, 2008, 3:22pm by starlight » IP Logged
DennisM1045
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

One wave at a time!

DennisM1045   DennisM1045
Email

« Reply #4 on: Feb 27th, 2008, 3:49pm »

Hey Starlight,

I agree on the length of a head MRI.  Mary Ann is talking about an MRA: Amagnetic Resonance Angiography.  This test is designed to look at the heart and blood vessels entering the lungs.  It's a much different test.

-Dennis-
IP Logged

Dancing the dance since 1995 ... Family member since 2007 ... No longer alone
beachmusic

Email

« Reply #5 on: Feb 28th, 2008, 5:26am »

Yes and I guess it is the fact that they are doing the two test at the same time. That is why it will take so long.  I talked to the doctors office and they said it would be fine to take something. Good news because I don't think closing my eyes would do the trick for that length of time.   Grin
IP Logged
sandie99
New Board Hall of Famer
Finland 

Wish it, dream it, do it - inspite the pain!

« Reply #6 on: Feb 28th, 2008, 8:58am »

I'm not familiar with MRA personally, but I'va had MRI once and thought about one of my favourite places during it. I'm not claustrophobic, but still MRI made bit of that come out of me. Pleasant thoughts about wonderful places and happy memories helped me to stay calm.

Lots of luck with your tests, Mary Ann! Smiley Do let us know how they turn out afterwards.

Lots of PF wishes,
Sanna
IP Logged

CH happends, Live anyway! PF days to us all!

"Do what you can and let God take care of the rest. Leave your heart wide open and always wish for the best" (Sanna Hillu)

"No matter how far out your dreams are, it's possible" (Marketa Irglova)

beachmusic

Email

« Reply #7 on: Feb 29th, 2008, 6:05am »

Thanks, Sanna

I am going to work on peaceful thoughts, meditative exercises.  A bit nervous this may trigger a ch due to noise and the fact that any and all naps always are trigger for me.  Crossing my fingers!!  
Wishing pain free days to all!!!
IP Logged
Grinner62
New Board Newbie
USA 

Only the young die good

« Reply #8 on: Mar 1st, 2008, 12:44pm »

I had an MRI & MRA last summer. Don't remember it taking that long. I'm not claustrophobic though.  

It was the same machine, just tuned to a different frequency that excites the blood rather than soft tissue. They didn't use any contrast agents for mine.  

It might be worth asking if they can put an O2 mask on you and be ready to crank it up if you nap and get hit while in the machine.  

Only a guess; If happy meds act as vaso constrictors it could limit blood flow through capilaries they may want to image.  

Make sure the techs know of your fears. They'll ask you anyway.  

When you sign in ask if they can give you a copy on disk. I have a CD of my MRI and MRA, it's cool and I now have proof there is a brain in there.
IP Logged
washed-out
New Board Newbie
Poland 

:]

« Reply #9 on: Mar 1st, 2008, 3:19pm »

on Mar 1st, 2008, 12:44pm, Grinner62 wrote:

When you sign in ask if they can give you a copy on disk. I have a CD of my MRI and MRA, it's cool and I now have proof there is a brain in there.

Hehe, good one Tongue

Btw can MRA show something "interesting" about CH? I mean I will have a MRI soon (because of my pituitary tumor) and maybe it would be good to make MRA too (because of CH, especially that I have red ear's syndrome too).
IP Logged
Grinner62
New Board Newbie
USA 

Only the young die good

« Reply #10 on: Mar 1st, 2008, 4:55pm »

on Mar 1st, 2008, 3:19pm, washed-out wrote:

Hehe, good one Tongue

Btw can MRA show something "interesting" about CH?.

That, I don't know. There was an anomaly, looked like an aneurism, on my MRI and the doc wanted a better look (MRA) at the blood vessels. He said if I'm ever in an accident and they do an MRI, don't let 'em cut me open because it's just a loop in the main artery going into my brain.

On second thought, MRA shows the blood delivery. So I suppose a clot or plaque buildup in the wrong place could be interesting.
IP Logged
Ace
New Board Newbie
USA 

Email

« Reply #11 on: Mar 1st, 2008, 5:25pm »

On one hand, if it is CH then the MRA and MRI are a waste of time. But your doctor has to rule out something more serious.

MRA is a breeza. Very short test. I had a cervical and brain MRI and mine DID take 3 hours.  

Anyone will be closterphobic after that. Just ask to take a break every hour where you can sit up and breathe for fifteen minutes.  

they may give you some flak about setting up the machine but it your test, your body, your paring for it so you can do what you want.  

Hope the test is negative.

Let us know.

-ace
IP Logged

My Head Hurts Too
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss