Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 24th, 2024, 11:55pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « gonb »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   Cluster Headache Help and Support
   Cluster Headache Specific
(Moderator: DJ)
   gonb
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: gonb  (Read 768 times)
wanna_swap_brains
New Board Junior
England 

gonb
« on: Feb 29th, 2008, 7:19am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

whats a gonb ??
IP Logged
LeLimey
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Great_Britain 

OUCH-US - Less "ME" and more "WE"

lelimey  
WWW Email

Re: gonb
« Reply #1 on: Feb 29th, 2008, 8:06am »

It's a Greater Occipital Nerve Block - a type of injection which can be very successful at blocking attacks. It all seems to depend on the skill of the person doing the injection.

Has your doctor suggested it to you?
IP Logged

The arsehole I'm divorcing needs to get a life and stop stalking mine

wanna_swap_brains
New Board Junior
England 

« Reply #2 on: Feb 29th, 2008, 9:39am »

no i just read it on a post and couldnt find out what it was,thanks though. my doctor did suggest paracetamol and a food diary,my girlfriend(assistant cook)is more clued up,only through reading what you lot post.
IP Logged
LeLimey
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Great_Britain 

lelimey  
WWW Email

« Reply #3 on: Feb 29th, 2008, 9:53am »

paracetamol? oh for petes sake - your doctor is a nut!

What meds do you have at the moment? Don't worry, we'll help get you sorted and get proper meds if I have to come up there and bang that doctors head on his desk!
IP Logged

wanna_swap_brains
New Board Junior
England 

« Reply #4 on: Feb 29th, 2008, 10:12am »

ok here goes,since mid november 2007 ive been tried on paracetamol,ibuprofen,diclofenac,tramadol,co codamol,codeine phosphate,sumitriptan tablets 50mg,rizatriptan melts,zolmitriptan melts,propanalol,tegretol,sumitriptan 100mg and fluoxitne for depression.also on my visits to a&e i had o2 the first time, ibuprofen injection and another injection which i dint catch the name of (i was a bit busy)at the minute im taking fluoxitine and the 100mg sumitriptan tabs with a gallon of red bull when it gets bad,iam going to see a neuro on 12th march and get my mri results next week.thanks for any help or advice.
IP Logged
Guiseppi
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #5 on: Feb 29th, 2008, 10:17am »

Lelimey....get him to a decent doctor.......his med list scares me! As far as the food list goes, it doesn't hurt to try and keep track of triggers. When I am on cycle only alcohol triggers them as far as food goes. My other triggers are major sleep disruptions, letting myself get really hungry, and sustained periods of stress.  

Good luck with the neuro!

Guiseppi
IP Logged

Why are all sensors, seeking intelligent life, pointed AWAY from earth?
LeLimey
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Great_Britain 

lelimey  
WWW Email

« Reply #6 on: Feb 29th, 2008, 10:28am »

No where on that list do I see Sumatriptan (Imigran) subcutaneous injections or Oxygen.. have you tried either?  
Your doctor can prescribe both and Oxygen is bloody brilliant.  
Do you know the name of the neuro you'll be seeing yet?

Helen

IP Logged

Gator
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer

« Reply #7 on: Feb 29th, 2008, 11:41am »

Cheeze and rice, the freakin doc may as well have just beat you in the head with a PDR for all the good most of that list would do you.

Listen to Helen and get to a REAL doctor who knows what the hell to do for this.  Sheesh!
IP Logged
wanna_swap_brains
New Board Junior
England 

« Reply #8 on: Feb 29th, 2008, 12:17pm »

hi guys, relplying for wanna swap brains this is his girlfriend Smileyreally fustrated by lack of knowledge by these doctors keep waffeling about migraines and put him on enough medication to knock a horse out, been worried about him more than a few times, if hes not in pain hes walking round like a zombie, lost tons of weight and been really down. doctors refused o2 in case its anything more sinister, hoping and praying it is not ,just come back from atrip from our gp and she was saying the mri results will go to the neuro and not to them does anybody from england know if that sounds about right thought the gp would tell us straight away. appointment with neuro is 2weeks away.not got much pain relief left for him but sumitriptan tablets and red bull as recomended by you guys. think your all fantastic and my heart goes out to all of you . this site is a lifesaver. good luck and health thank you for all your support and replies. donna
IP Logged
chewy

Email

« Reply #9 on: Feb 29th, 2008, 12:42pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Sounds to me like he is treating rfor Migraine.

Run fast. Run far.
IP Logged
LeLimey
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Great_Britain 

lelimey  
WWW Email

« Reply #10 on: Feb 29th, 2008, 2:39pm »

Hi Donna
The results of the MRI will go to the neuro not the doctor because here in England it's only a consultant that can order an MRI - however he will ring your doctor immediately if there is anything on it. With pain of this type an mri is necessary to rule out anything more insidious and the hardest thing for me was when my 3 year old developed CH and I couldn't give him anything stronger than bloody calpol IN CASE it was anything that could be "fed" by other meds. The temptation to give him my O2 nearly overwhelmed me a couple of times but the fear of doing him harm hurt me even more. Those were terrible dark days.

The Neuro will have the results of the MRI within a couple of day's tops so when you see him ask if you can phone his secretary for the results. Ask about O2 and ask that he write a letter of recommendation to your doctor to give it to you that can be given when the MRI shows all clear.

In the meantime, bags of ice or frozen peas - red bull and strong coffee are his best options.  

I hate this, we all feel helpless for you and want to get you the right stuff and it bugs me backwards you have o wait, believe me, I really know how frustrating that is for both of you. I know how it feels to be in the pain and I know how you feel seeing him suffer. I walk both sides of this and its tough on both of you I know.

Donna you're as welcome here as he is, we know how hard it is to see someone you love go through this and there will always be equally as much support here for YOU.. don't forget that okay?!

Anytime I can help I will I promise.  

Helen
IP Logged

wanna_swap_brains
New Board Junior
England 

« Reply #11 on: Feb 29th, 2008, 4:53pm »

helen thanks for your words of support and info . just finding it really tough at the minute feels like theres not much support from the medical side of things. hoping the neuro is a lot more helpful. i thought we were having a tough time but hearing of your 3yr old is absolutly heartbreaking, my heart goes out to you. i have a 10yr old daughter and she had a few bad migraines last year, but is now fine and that was bad enough. it was also our gp that ordered the mri after coming to a dead end with stuart.helen hope things get better for you in your life, this shit is a nightmare thats trying to take over our life.rant over, donna
IP Logged
mudplugga
New Board Newbie
United_Kingdom 

Clinging to the wreckage.

« Reply #12 on: Mar 24th, 2008, 7:47pm »

on Feb 29th, 2008, 10:12am, wanna_swap_brains wrote:
ok here goes,since mid november 2007 ive been tried on paracetamol,ibuprofen,diclofenac,tramadol,co codamol,codeine phosphate,sumitriptan tablets 50mg,rizatriptan melts,zolmitriptan melts,propanalol,tegretol,sumitriptan 100mg and fluoxitne for depression.also on my visits to a&e i had o2 the first time, ibuprofen injection and another injection which i dint catch the name of (i was a bit busy)at the minute im taking fluoxitine and the 100mg sumitriptan tabs with a gallon of red bull when it gets bad,iam going to see a neuro on 12th march and get my mri results next week.thanks for any help or advice.

That sounds like the list I went through - 20 years ago  Roll Eyes

To be fair, I either reacted badly to, or had no benefit from just about everything on the list and didn't bother my doctor again until this year when I blagged oxygen off him. That has given me the first real relief since I started 33 years ago.

when I saw my doctor a few weeks ago he checked the up to date information, which was sumatriptan and o2 and offered me both, I just went with o2.

For a doctor to go through that list in 2008 is wrong, yes, he's got to get you scanned to check for serious stuff. But suggesting paracetomol?  Roll Eyes No............

Arm yourself with the GOOD information from this site and challenge the doctor if you think he's not making an effort to find up to date information.
IP Logged
CostaRicaKris
New Board Veteran
USA 

Currently training for AFC half Marathon

CostaRicaKris  
Email

« Reply #13 on: Mar 24th, 2008, 9:45pm »

on Feb 29th, 2008, 12:17pm, wanna_swap_brains wrote:
. doctors refused o2 in case its anything more sinister

All that garbage that's been perscribed in the past four months sounds pretty sinister to me.

I hope you get some real help soon.

Kris
IP Logged

Visit my website: http://www.active.com/donate/amnhealthcare/KristinaMorris to learn more about Girls on the Run, a non-profit prevention program that encourages preteen girls to develop self-respect and healthy lifestyles through running
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss