Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 23rd, 2024, 7:51pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Forced to endure the whole thing... »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   Cluster Headache Help and Support
   Cluster Headache Specific
(Moderator: DJ)
   Forced to endure the whole thing...
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Forced to endure the whole thing...  (Read 920 times)
schlags
New Board Newbie
USA 

Email

Forced to endure the whole thing...
« on: Mar 10th, 2008, 12:31am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Today got a nasty one while in the car with my sister and brother on our way to an uncle's funeral visitation. (No wasn't driving thank God!!)   Had nothing with me, we were literally out in the middle of nowhere, so had to endure the whole 25 minute thing with no oxygen or imitrex or red bull...nothing.  Am lucky my sister is a nurses aide so she honored my request to just ignore me, as did my brother.  

Have been getting 3 or 4 hits daily for the past 3 weeks, and at least 3 at night, most of them aborted by either oxygen or imitrex.  After I had to endure the entire ache, although I still have a buzzy face and that deep nose feeling, no more headaches today..that one was my only one (and it's almost bedtime).  I really haven't paid too close attention since I started using oxygen, but I seem to recall  that  at least a few times if I don't use any help, they don't come back (that day anyway, far from over with for the whole cycle).  

And PLEASE don't get me wrong...I'm not gonna quit using the abortives...not on yer life!!  Just wondering if anyone has had the same type of experience?  
IP Logged
kaj_ducker
New Board Newbie
Norway 

Re: Forced to endure the whole thing...
« Reply #1 on: Mar 10th, 2008, 1:47am »

Yeah, but i've had the same exp. with the oxygen, if i stop a morning-attack with oxygen, its very likely to come back during the day. So if the attack doesnt make me desperate enought i try to hang on, for the sake of not losing anymore of the day, and do some overdue studying and house-work. No pain no gain..?

As for meds, i can recall that the CH periods ive had with meds, where far worse in frequency and length than otherwise, so I use only coffe, water, and occationally oxygen.
IP Logged
Guiseppi
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #2 on: Mar 10th, 2008, 10:04am »

Schlags I had the same experience with oxygen, except mine would come back within 10-20 minutes of shutting down the oxygen. Now I pop an oral cafergot and start the 02. The 02 beats it down, the cafergot buys me 8-12 hours pain free time.  

I recently saw several posts of people who use energy drinks or strong coffee instead of the cafergot with their oxygen and intend to try that next cycle.

One other thing, if you ever get hit in a car again, blow the ac on full, hyperventialate in front of the vent, breathing the cold air in through your nose. I can ratchet a hit down 2-3 clicks that way. Helps when you're caught naked like that.

Guiseppi
IP Logged

Why are all sensors, seeking intelligent life, pointed AWAY from earth?
Linda_Howell
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Hearing is one thing.  Listening is another.

N/A   N/A
WWW Email

« Reply #3 on: Mar 10th, 2008, 12:40pm »

Quote:
 Had nothing with me, we were literally out in the middle of nowhere, so had to endure the whole 25 minute thing with no oxygen or imitrex or red bull...nothing

Lesson learned the hard way, huh?

Lesson for today:

Abortives.  DO NOT leave home without them.

IP Logged

Kindness, is gladdening the hearts of those who are traveling the dark journey with us.
DennisM1045
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

One wave at a time!

DennisM1045   DennisM1045
Email

« Reply #4 on: Mar 10th, 2008, 12:46pm »

I 2nd what Linda says!  I have a backpack I carry everywhere.  It has my Imitrex injections, one or two can's of energy drink, and my O2 regulator and mask.  If I can, I bring an e-tank with me too.  I'm seldom without the tank and I'm never without Imitrex and at least one energy drink.

I would have asked that they pull over at the next variety store and get me a can.  There is no point suffering like that if a little prep can avoid it.

I hope your cycle lightens up soon.

-Dennis-
IP Logged

Dancing the dance since 1995 ... Family member since 2007 ... No longer alone
Annette
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Australia 

Veni Vidi Velcro

Email

« Reply #5 on: Mar 10th, 2008, 4:34pm »

Some people here find vigorous exercise can help abort a hit if starts early. You might like to test it some times so that if for some unfortunate reason you get caught out in the middle of nowhere without ammunition, you might like to go for a fast jog taking in deep breaths, as well as stick your face in the car vents with the air cond turned on full blast, pour some water on your head/neck and drinking heaps, it might help.

My husband always has bottles of water as well as Red bull in the boot of his car, even now when he is out of cycle. They dont go off and they come in handy.  

Sending you strong vibes and painfree wishes.

IP Logged

Mediocrity knows nothing higher than itself; but talent instantly recognizes genius.
Arthur Conan Doyle
outofcommission
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Veteran
USA 

damn......no place to park

« Reply #6 on: Mar 11th, 2008, 12:12am »

on Mar 10th, 2008, 12:40pm, Linda_Howell wrote:

Lesson learned the hard way, huh?

Lesson for today:

Abortives.  DO NOT leave home without them.

try this on for size. i would only take loads as far as my o2 would take me. it was kind of like being on a leash. o wouldn't dare go out longer than 2 days, and thats 4 bottles worth. kept red bull and ice water in my little fridge. if i got held over 600 miles away from home i was out of luck on the o2.
i remember my last cycle before i figured out the wonders of o2, i had to leave my grandmothers 80th birthday party. they were all dancing and having a great time.  the coffee wasn't working the way it used to. i had to leave. i was so upset.
IP Logged

that which does not kill you will only make you crazy, obsessive, and sleep deprived
Becky
New Board Junior
Great_Britain 

Welcome to my world   Now go home!!!

Email

« Reply #7 on: Mar 13th, 2008, 8:20pm »

Last cycle I had I forgot my Imigran and I was in the Merry Hill shopping center. As soon as I walked in it started, I ran the length of the center to get to a chemist. I had to spend 15 mins filling out a form to say I havnt got any heart probs, then I had to pay £8 for 2 tablets,so now I do American Express...and dont leave home without them Grin
« Last Edit: Mar 13th, 2008, 8:22pm by Becky » IP Logged
Brew
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Low Four!

« Reply #8 on: Mar 13th, 2008, 8:40pm »

Got caught on Tuesday in my car. Thought I had my O2 rig all set in the back (D-tank, regulator, clustermasx). Got off the expressway, still about 20 miles from home, pulled over, went to the back of the car - shit! No regulator. I had brought it inside the night before to test the levels on some E-tanks.

Thrashed and writhed in my car for 45 minutes after swallowing a naratriptan without water (4 gags worth). Once the pain level subsided a bit (from a K8 down to about a K5), I drove home. Because I didn't get to it soon enough, the beast wouldn't respond to anything. A 4-hour ordeal. I'm still pissed at myself for not having my ducks in a row.
IP Logged

Always remember that you're unique, just like everyone else.
Linda_Howell
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

N/A   N/A
WWW Email

« Reply #9 on: Mar 13th, 2008, 9:27pm »

Outofcommision,  

Your situation is different in that you drive a semi and can't possibly get to your supplier any ol time you need to.  If I were you and of course I am not....I'd leave behind clothes, toiletries, CD's, and anything else you normally take with you on long-hauls, in favor of an extra e-tank.  Jest a thought.

BREW!!!!!!   you know better.  Undecided  Do not let this happen again, you hear?
IP Logged

Kindness, is gladdening the hearts of those who are traveling the dark journey with us.
Brew
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Low Four!

« Reply #10 on: Mar 13th, 2008, 9:52pm »

Linda - It was a mistake and completely unintentional. I don't go through 4 hours of pure hell because I enjoy it.
IP Logged

Linda_Howell
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

N/A   N/A
WWW Email

« Reply #11 on: Mar 14th, 2008, 2:21pm »

I know Bill.  I was jest yanking your chain because I like to tease ya.
IP Logged

Brew
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Low Four!

« Reply #12 on: Mar 14th, 2008, 2:31pm »

Then I'll consider my chain to be yanked!

Yikes! Grin
IP Logged

Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss