Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 19th, 2024, 9:36pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Cluster headache that seems like a migraine? »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   Cluster Headache Help and Support
   Cluster Headache Specific
(Moderator: DJ)
   Cluster headache that seems like a migraine?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Cluster headache that seems like a migraine?  (Read 771 times)
JB
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Cluster headache that seems like a migraine?
« on: Mar 13th, 2008, 4:19am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I've been having cluster headaches for about three weeks.  Was finally able to get some Medrol and after six days they seemed to be clearing up.  Then yesterday at about 2:30 I felt a headache coming on.  For about an hour it was a standard, pretty bad cluster headache.  Then it receded and I expected it to go away as usual.  Instead it hung around until about 2 am this morning.

It seemed A LOT more like what people describe as a standard migraine headache--long duration, not as painful, it felt better to lie still than to move around, bright light made it worse, etc.  I've had three episodes of cluster headaches (winter '04, winter '06, this winter) and I've never had a headache like that.

So, a couple questions:

1.  Anyone had that sort of headache during a cluster phase?  Is it just a weird cluster headache or something else?

2.  After feeling good for a couple days I had a glass of milk  and a banana around lunchtime because I was running late and didn't have time for a real meal.  I never drink milk just by itself, but do have it in cereal, coffee, etc.  I'm wondering if milk in more than small quantities is a trigger for anyone.
IP Logged
Bob_Johnson
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

Re: Cluster headache that seems like a migraine?
« Reply #1 on: Mar 13th, 2008, 6:44am »

Most especially with suspect foods: look for patterns; single events are not useful to make decisions.

Re. changes in your CH: not at all unusual for changes to occur for months, even years, when CH first appears. Shifts in pain sites, type of pain, etc. may go on and appear to have no significance. I went through this shifts for 3-4 years.
IP Logged

Bob Johnson
ScottR
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #2 on: Mar 13th, 2008, 6:50am »

Ditto here JB,
I've finally registered on this board after using it over the years when I start to feel sorry for myself. Reading posts seemed to help with the 'feeling alone' mentality. Thanks to those in the past for the support!
I've dealt with CH sessions now for almost 30 years and had the same thing happen. About 3 days into my current session I went from typical CH on the left side and then oddly switched sides to the right and changed to more like a severe migraine. (stabbing pain from temple to upper jaw without the eye involved).  
 This new 'variation will run 3-4  throughout the night lasting about an hour each. Not as miserable as a normal CH, but these knock me down more frequently so its a bit of a wash.
This really confuses me too as its certainly away from the norm.
IP Logged
Ray
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Ray and Shade

raymond759  
WWW Email

« Reply #3 on: Mar 13th, 2008, 7:33am »

JB:

I'm sorry to say that there are others here who have combinations of headaches, including migraine, with their cluster headaches.  Keep a headache calendar and discuss these symptoms with your headache doctor.

With best wishes,

Ray
IP Logged

You have my prayers and compassion-I'm right there with you.

Dum tempus habemus, operemur bonum
*While we have the time, let us do good*

http://www.myspace.com/rayplace
http://www.shadesgarden.com
BarbaraD
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Hugs to ya

Email

« Reply #4 on: Mar 13th, 2008, 8:02am »

And it could be shadows just hanging there.... Mine do that - the CH will receed to a shadow and the shadow will just hang there and hang there - enough to let me know that MR. D hasn't gone anywhere. Makes you miserable and worn out. My ear cramps along with it.  

Had that happen Tues. All day I hit about a 6 - O2, Red Bull, Coffee, food, - even resorted to Cafergot - nothing touched it. I was just a grouch all day with a swollen eye and not a real nice person to be around. About 5 that evening it went away. No rhyme or reason.  

Don't really know what to tell you....

Hugs BD
IP Logged

What don't kill ya, Makes ya stonger!

E-Double
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Are we ourselves?

Edoubleitk   Edoubleitk1
Email

« Reply #5 on: Mar 13th, 2008, 9:46am »

Quite possible an additional headache type.
It sucks.

Hangin there and breathe
IP Logged

I can't believe that I have to bang my
Head against this wall again
But the blows they have just a little more
Space in-between them
Gonna take a breath and try again.
thomas
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

"Hit like a phillips head into my brain."

« Reply #6 on: Mar 13th, 2008, 11:55am »

on Mar 13th, 2008, 9:46am, E-Double wrote:
Quite possible an additional headache type.
It sucks.

Hangin there and breathe

Yep, I think a lot of CH'ers have more than one headache type.
IP Logged

Religion and sex are powerplays. Manipulate the people for the money they pay. Selling skin, selling God, the numbers look the same on their credit cards. Triptans cause rebounds. Learn it, believe it, live it. I use triptans as the absolute LAST RESORT when treating my CH.
Whipsmart
New Board Newbie
USA 

Hipster Doofus

« Reply #7 on: Mar 15th, 2008, 10:17am »

When I get hit, I usually have the same thing.  My doc said he was pretty sure it was migraines along with clusters.  He wasn't ready to diagnose me with migraines yet.  They suck.  While it's not as bad as the cluster event, it definitely saps all the energy from you.
IP Logged
outofcommission
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Veteran
USA 

damn......no place to park

« Reply #8 on: Mar 23rd, 2008, 12:13pm »

when i am in peak cycle a ch trumps out any other kind of pain. near the end of a cycle i get less intense chs and some pretty bad migraines accross the top of my head and eyes. also those all day kip3s or kip5s could be an indication that your meds are startiing to work. it's possible you could be near the end of your cycle, lets hope. Wink as far as bananas go i had a friend that had bad migraines (not ch) and said that potassium helped with his condition.
« Last Edit: Mar 23rd, 2008, 12:16pm by outofcommission » IP Logged

that which does not kill you will only make you crazy, obsessive, and sleep deprived
kevmd
New Board Veteran
USA 

Who needs a hypothalamus anyway?

« Reply #9 on: Mar 24th, 2008, 9:53pm »

2 weeks ago I had a  headache I never experieinced before.  Not sure if it was a migraine but I did vomit.  I couldn't move at all.  The slightest move felt like my head would explode. It lastest at full force for about 24 hours though I was able to fall asleep a few times.  I woke up the middle of the next night and it was suddenly gone.  I think it finally ended with som etylenol and fever few.  The last 24 hours, it feels like it is trying to join the party but I am keeping it away with the fever few.  Give it a try. GNC and some Rite Aids sell it
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss