Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Mar 28th, 2024, 2:35pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « High White Blood Cell Count »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   Cluster Headache Help and Support
   Cluster Headache Specific
(Moderator: DJ)
   High White Blood Cell Count
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: High White Blood Cell Count  (Read 1711 times)
Braindead
New Board Newbie
USA 

No clue No cure

High White Blood Cell Count
« on: Mar 18th, 2008, 10:52pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Since 2003 (only documented test timeline I have on record) I have had an elevated WBC up to 24,000 sometimes it's 16,000.  

Once since 03 it was normal like 9,000. Ok so a little history, I have had CH every year for 15 years.  

So my regular docs says I am concerned, so he sends me to a hematologist.  

The hemo docs say the high WBC is from the adrenaline increase from fighting these clusters every night. Kind of like a bar fight per night.

That adrenaline he said makes the WBC go high in an effort to fight what’s next, which never happens cuz it's a cluster head not a bullet wound.  

Does anyone else know of this?

Thanks in advance,

Denis
« Last Edit: Mar 18th, 2008, 10:53pm by Braindead » IP Logged
purpleydog
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

Re: High White Blood Cell Count
« Reply #1 on: Mar 18th, 2008, 11:50pm »

Never heard of it. Although I've only been getting CH for 8 years now, been chronic for 4.

Being chronic, I have the luxury of getting hit multiple times daily. I've had some nasty mini-cycles, getting whacked every 90 minutes around the clock, with kip 9's and 10's. These have lasted from 20 hours to 4 days.

My white blood cell count has always been normal. I don't make an appt. to have one, but have had an appt. with my doc for other things, and mini-cycles or not, I've been fine. My neuro, who is pretty good, has never said anything about my blood count changing, or that it would change.

Quote:
That adrenaline he said makes the WBC go high in an effort to fight what’s next

I'm not a doctor, nor a hematologist, but it seems to me your WBC would only go up AFTER you have an infection of some kind. Not in anticipation of one. Go see another hematologist, and have your blood drawn. I have never heard of having a WBC count being high because of CH.
IP Logged

Braindead
New Board Newbie
USA 

No clue No cure

« Reply #2 on: Mar 19th, 2008, 11:24pm »

Thanks for the input.  I asked this question on the mayo clinic web site.  The answer just came back as yes it can elevate due to stress. Which I am certainly under an anormous amout during a hit. So that answer makes me feel better.  Yes infection and a host of other things can do that as well.

Denis
IP Logged
MJ
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

« Reply #3 on: Mar 20th, 2008, 1:03am »

I have heard this before.

It's my understanding that stress can indeed increase your white cell count, so can many medications.

Never had mine checked.  

Its like the troops are massing at the border just in case something may go wrong.
IP Logged

MJ
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss