Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 18th, 2024, 8:32pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « more things to try »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   Cluster Headache Help and Support
   Cluster Headache Specific
(Moderator: DJ)
   more things to try
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: more things to try  (Read 568 times)
Tojokom
New Board Newbie
USA 

more things to try
« on: Mar 20th, 2008, 2:29pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

ok my CH hits and i get the stuffy / running nose.

OR if i get allergy reaction to pollens / molds it seems to trigger the CH and IMO they feed off each other and make the it seem like they both never go away ( hence the 5+ hours CH's end up with sometimes.

started this in 2007 and found that Claritin or the generic version ( loratadine 10mg is med term for it ) once a day along with a benadryl ( i use generic versions of both )

seem to keep the beast at bay least it did for my oct - dec cycle.

with this cycle just starting ( march - may ) will have a little more trial tests.

my routine goes .....
feel the CH comming i get a benadryl chew it up and then hit the o2. it seems to work for me.

granted i work in a prison so i'm NOT ALLOWED to have my o2 with me while at work so those ch hits get a benydryl and couple asprin and a hope fer the best.

any others tried this ??

tojokom
IP Logged

doing it magemonk style 8+ years
jon019
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Junior
USA 

"Ya gotta believe!"

Re: more things to try
« Reply #1 on: Mar 20th, 2008, 9:10pm »

Hi tojokom,

Hey, whatever works. When this "big dance" started for me, and before I (or ANY doc) knew what it was, I used to self treat with anti-histamines. Seemed to work, and later was prescribed very strong anti-histamines as a preventive. Nope. As I learned my cycle, I found out they had no effect (for me, others may have reported differently, I think).

What I do believe is that allergies (of which I have many, most developed after age 40) contribute to the effects of ch. Stuffed head w/pressure and headache, stuffed nose, fatigue, clogged lungs, coughing, sneezing, malaise, et al-combine those with ch (many the same) and you got trouble.

I also use loratadine to deal with the allergies, so I can concentrate on treating the ch. Aspirin, careful, it'll tear up your stomach w/o touching the ch. And surely wish you had access to O2 when you need it.

Regards,

Jon

« Last Edit: Mar 20th, 2008, 9:25pm by jon019 » IP Logged

"The beginning of wisdom is to call things by their right names." (that's cluster headache doc)

Chinese proverb
Trooper
New Board Junior
USA 

I ain't skeert!

Email

« Reply #2 on: Mar 20th, 2008, 11:10pm »

In the early days I lived on Sudafed and it seemed to help. The longer I delt with CH though and the longer my episodes became this just was not helping anymore. I went to see a doc. in 2002 that told me I just need to take Excedrine Migaine. I did so much Sudafed during that cycle I ended up in the ER.  

I found this website for the first time in 2003 and learned of Imitrex. I got a new doc (not too much better than the old doc. but atleast I got a script for Imitrex) and boy what a difference it has made. Looking back on it all now, I wonder if all the sinus medicine really helped at all. I don't know what your current medical condition is, but if you have not looked into any abortive meds like Triptans you really should. I still suffer from CH but the Imitrex seems to keep almost all my hits to strictly night time. Even if you can't do the Triptans keep reading this board and I think you will come up with some better options than Benadryl and asprin.

Wishing ya PFDs!
Trooper

IP Logged
thebbz
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Ow,Ow,Ow

Email

« Reply #3 on: Mar 21st, 2008, 12:11am »

http://www.plainboard.com/ch/chtherapy.pdf
all the best
thebb
IP Logged

It wasn't me I didn't do it
Mybelle
New Board Junior
USA 

Cluster what?

« Reply #4 on: Mar 25th, 2008, 1:23am »

that was a great article, glad I read it - never thought to take melatonin in the daytime (my husband) - he only takes 3 mg at nite and still has shadows that wake him up - perhaps I'll up the dose to 6 and see what happens....but I wonder about him driving a truck with 3 mg of melatonin in the daytime....any thoughts? Huh
IP Logged
E-Double
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Are we ourselves?

Edoubleitk   Edoubleitk1
Email

« Reply #5 on: Mar 25th, 2008, 5:43am »

It is not suggested to take during the day.
Take @ bedtime....half hour to 45 minutes prior to attempting to go to sleep.

This should not affect how he drives during "waking hours" unless he drives @ night = then DO NOT
IP Logged

I can't believe that I have to bang my
Head against this wall again
But the blows they have just a little more
Space in-between them
Gonna take a breath and try again.
Annette
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Australia 

Veni Vidi Velcro

Email

« Reply #6 on: Mar 25th, 2008, 6:54am »

Melatonin is a hormone as well as a neurotransmitter. It has direct effect on the brain and it helps regulate the sleep/wake cycle. It also affect REM sleep.  

Please do not take it during the day.

The normal level of melatonin drops during the day and rises at night to help the person sleep. Taking it during the day will mess up your sleep/wake cycle and will in turn mess up your biological clock ie the hypothalamus. This can lead to unpredictable changes in your CH.

IP Logged

Mediocrity knows nothing higher than itself; but talent instantly recognizes genius.
Arthur Conan Doyle
chewy

Email

« Reply #7 on: Mar 25th, 2008, 6:59am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

http://www.vanderbilt.edu/AnS/psychology/health_psychology/melatonin.htm #Conclusions%20on%20Melatonin
IP Logged
Mybelle
New Board Junior
USA 

Cluster what?

« Reply #8 on: Mar 25th, 2008, 1:07pm »

Trooper - how did the excedrin Migraine work - or did it do anything at all? I know they are caused by different physiologies, but are somewhat related........ Cool
IP Logged
Trooper
New Board Junior
USA 

I ain't skeert!

Email

« Reply #9 on: Mar 25th, 2008, 9:05pm »

To be honest, I never tried the Excedrine-M for my clusters, only Sudafed or other antihistamines. I honestly think you would get better reliefe slammin a redbull and putting an icepack on your head.  

I used to think I had a deep sinus or inner ear infection a week or two before my cycle hit. I now believe that it is not my sinuses, but my trigaminal nerve that starts becoming agitated, warning me of the impending doom. If you go over to the OUCH link on this board, the first page that comes up on their website is a picture of the trigaminal nerve. Once you see that picture you can have a better understanding why some people mistake their CH for being somehow related to sinus infections or allergies. I can see how the antihistamines provide some relife but they don't even come close to what Sumitriptan can do.
IP Logged
Kitty1973
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #10 on: Mar 27th, 2008, 2:34pm »

I have tried the Excedrin Migraine pills.  They don't do anything for my clusters.  I have popped so many different pills that I think I will turn into one.  yikes
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss