Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 24th, 2024, 8:59am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Virus »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   Cluster Headache Help and Support
   Cluster Headache Specific
(Moderator: DJ)
   Virus
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Virus  (Read 996 times)
michael
New Board Veteran
United_Kingdom 

Virus
« on: Mar 27th, 2008, 10:54am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Just thinking aloud.

A few times in my life (and I mean only a few), a CH seems to have either started a cycle, or aborted, during a dose of a bad cold. Once I remember years ago an unusually long cycle abruptly ending with a dose of flu.

Apparently, I had the flu very bad when I was 4 years old that I nearly died from (just at a time when the brain is developing fast).

I've often wondered if there is a dormant virus lying there that is triggered occasionally by maybe some enviromental effect causing a cycle of CH.

There is no cure yet for CH, likewise - there is no cure for a virus.

Like I said, just thinking aloud (and maybe clutching at straws).

IP Logged
Mybelle
New Board Junior
USA 

Cluster what?

Re: Virus
« Reply #1 on: Mar 27th, 2008, 8:35pm »

This is my husband's first round of CH and it started after he got the flu in February around the second week - he's still getting lots of shadows and a few hits around 6-7 but melatonin helps greatly at night and taurine during the day. Good thoughts to you Wink
IP Logged
debOUCH
New Board Veteran
USA 

..i think to myself, it's a wonderful world..

Email

« Reply #2 on: Mar 27th, 2008, 10:18pm »

this is my first bout with CH and i got it on a relaxing vacation in key west, the day after i snorkled, 1/30.............maybe something in that caribbean like water that found its way into my hypothalmus!!!!LOL who knows...............i
PF wishes your way
deb
IP Logged
cluster
New Board Veteran
Germany 

Water X 3 - It works !

Snorkling / Diving ?
« Reply #3 on: Mar 28th, 2008, 10:14am »

My second episode started A.D. 2000 during a relaxing vacation in Greece. We did a lot of snorkling during that vacation. I got an infection in the right hand side ear and since then I have cluster headaches on the right hand side.

Anybody else?

IP Logged

-> Click here to join O.U.C.H.

http://ck-wissen.de - German CH Site

"The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance - it is the illusion of knowledge"
Daniel J.Boorstin
Qazpur
New Board Newbie
Netherlands 

« Reply #4 on: Mar 28th, 2008, 12:48pm »

i've also experienced more than once that a cycle has started with the onset of a bout of flu.  
aborting one with the flu is something i haven't had yet, but if there proves to be a correlation you'll certainly find me spending a lot more time around folks who appear to be coughing and sneezing Smiley

there has been some study done in this regard it seems, a couple of links to abstracts i've found:

http://www.springerlink.com/content/87475124326820h2/
http://www.blackwell-synergy.com/doi/abs/10.1111/j.1526-4610.1987.hed270 3138.x
http://www.ingentaconnect.com/content/bsc/hed/1998/00000038/00000002/art 00008

the difficuly i have with these kinds of studies is that they are often seem to be based on pretty small test groups, with results presented in just the right way to seem absolutely conclusive.

it would be really interesting though to see results from informal surveys on these kinds of questions among members of forums such as this one - maybe the surveys on the left here could be revised and extended?
IP Logged
Paul98
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

What, it's all in my head?

« Reply #5 on: Mar 28th, 2008, 2:49pm »

I think I would put it down to laws of chance.  One has to be careful about connecting two unrelated things. that occur with fairly high frequency.  

Many folks go into cycle in spring and fall....when the flu season is high.  Perhaps if one was near their cycle and cought the flu than that would just hasten the onset of the cycle.  

-P.
IP Logged

http://www.myspace.com/pjl98
az_r2d1
New Board Newbie
USA 

« Reply #6 on: Mar 31st, 2008, 6:09pm »

My CH's (3 times so far, all about 1 month long) have always started after a bad cold. This year my nr was up again (after a bad cold) and I am still in it. Was diagnosed with it right away by my Doctor about 13 years ago. Thought I was going to die it hurt so bad. Lasts for about a month then goes away for years. I get the headaches about once or twice a day. Never in my sleep. Always on left side. Nothing seems to help but time. Then again I've never had any meds prescribed for it. Seeing neurologist on Friday and will hopefully get some meds. The other 2 times I had it I just rode it out. Not drinking any alcohol seemed to help.
I never knew what real pain was until this stuff hit me.. ouch
IP Logged
Kirk
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

VINIMUS, VIDIMUS, DOLAVIMUS

161860987 161860987   kirk_jones511   krkevrtt
Email

« Reply #7 on: Mar 31st, 2008, 9:38pm »

In 39 years, I've never had one start, or end with a cold or the Flu. Go figure.

smokin
IP Logged

George_J
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

White-Breasted Nuthatch

Email

« Reply #8 on: Apr 1st, 2008, 2:00am »

on Mar 31st, 2008, 9:38pm, Kirk wrote:
  In 39 years, I've never had one start, or end with a cold or the Flu. Go figure.

smokin

Basically--pretty much the same.  

Nor have I ever had the flu or a cold during a cycle that I can remember.

Best,

George
IP Logged

Ah! The foreigners put on such airs
Wearing the tangerine suits
And their harlequin eyes.
The pain they inspire
Draws in harmonica melodies
And the feathers of birds
Which flame up at their touch.
It all comes to light in the sheer
Debonair.
(Ellen)
Beastfodder
New Board Old Timer
United_Kingdom 

O2 and clusterbusters - naturally

« Reply #9 on: Apr 4th, 2008, 11:16am »

Flu, man flu or heavy cold - call it what you will, but it always seems to precede the Autumn visit.

Bunged up sinuses get me worried even out of season now!
IP Logged

O2 and clusterbusters - naturally
wink
New Board Newbie
USA 

;)

« Reply #10 on: Apr 5th, 2008, 7:31pm »

My cycles never start or end on a cold or virus. But if I get a cold or virus, it will reliably interrupt the cycle. Once I get better, the cycle resumes.

It's nice that the Beast tries to let me deal with one thing at a time health wise.
IP Logged
az_r2d1
New Board Newbie
USA 

« Reply #11 on: Apr 5th, 2008, 8:46pm »

My doctor told me he thinks there is some effect of your immune system kicking in to fight the flu and also somehow trigger the CH.  
He prescribed me steroids (short and heavy dose which is kicking my moods down), some anti mood swing pills and something to keep my stomach under control.
So far no headaches ! (knock knock)
« Last Edit: Apr 5th, 2008, 8:47pm by az_r2d1 » IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss