Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 25th, 2024, 5:36pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Shadowlands »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   Cluster Headache Help and Support
   Cluster Headache Specific
(Moderator: DJ)
   Shadowlands
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Shadowlands  (Read 1054 times)
Rosebuddy
New Board Newbie
USA 

Shadowlands
« on: Apr 3rd, 2008, 12:04pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I haven't had a bad CH in about a week now.  I take Melatonin at night, which seems to work wonderfully (3 mg are plenty for me).  However, I wake up every morning at about a Kip 3-4 which never really goes away.  If I take about 25 mg of Imitrex I'm good for a few hours, but then it's back.  Today I'm testing to see if it will get worse or, better yet, go away, if I don't take the Imitrex.  This is a new thing for me - in the past, I have had the bad ones at night for 2-3 weeks, then every other night for about a week, then perfectly okay.  I'm now on week 5 of this cycle, and like I said no longer have the biggies but can't get out of the shadowlands.  When they were bad I would have been thrilled to be where I am now, but I'm getting greedy - I want to feel GOOD for a change!  Any thoughts?  Is the Imitrex causing this to linger do you think?   Huh
IP Logged
Guiseppi
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

Re: Shadowlands
« Reply #1 on: Apr 3rd, 2008, 2:29pm »

I used imitrex injectables for the first time last cycle and believe it may have extended my cycle. No concrete evidence, and the beast morphs so often I'm never really sure of anything!!!

You might try caffeine, either coffee or try the energy drinks which combine the caffeine and taurine, see if they'll knock the shadows down for you. I hear you, you don't like to whine about a shadow when it beats the hell out of a KIP 10, but constant shadows really grind you down. Hoping you're almost at the end!

Guiseppi
IP Logged

Why are all sensors, seeking intelligent life, pointed AWAY from earth?
starlight
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #2 on: Apr 3rd, 2008, 6:10pm »

Rosebuddy,

The way the beast has mostly worked in my experience is that towards the end of a cycle when the night hits have diminished it keeps getting you in the AM on waking up.  As far as imitrex, I have felt imitrex gives me some rebound hits but I don't use it much--I use it for hits that get past the O2.  Could it extend a cycle?  I don't know.  My advice--wait it out for a week--the morning window is an easy window for the beast to enter, and then, usually it leaves.  Try strong coffee in the morning--have a strong pot made the night before and then heat in microwave--drink it hot and strong--try to get away from using the imitrex in the AM if you can (my feeling is it may be giving you rebound hits in the AM after you use it).  Pain free wishes--let us know how it goes.  
« Last Edit: Apr 3rd, 2008, 6:13pm by starlight » IP Logged
Annette
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Australia 

Veni Vidi Velcro

Email

« Reply #3 on: Apr 3rd, 2008, 7:00pm »

Have you tried a red bull or strong coffee for that ? Imitrex can cause rebound because its such a powerful vasoconstrictor. Red bull, strong coffee, even green tea have been found to be effective for shadows without causing rebound.  

IP Logged

Mediocrity knows nothing higher than itself; but talent instantly recognizes genius.
Arthur Conan Doyle
Rosebuddy
New Board Newbie
USA 

« Reply #4 on: Apr 3rd, 2008, 7:14pm »

Thanks everyone!  I skipped the Imitrex this am, had a Rockstar (they were out of Red Bull at my store!) and did okay.  I always drink lots of coffee.  However, the shadow lingered and got progressively worse by 4 p.m. so I broke down and took Imitrex.  Not working!  I'm going to get a bag of ice and hope for a miracle.  Thanks again for helping - I get so psyched when I see that someone has responded.
IP Logged
Batch
New Board Old Timer
USA 

FOX 2 - Check 6

Email

« Reply #5 on: Apr 3rd, 2008, 8:35pm »

Rose,

A shadow is just another cluster headache attack that hasn't made the big league.  A rose by another name....

I shoot all shadows with oxygen therapy.  They are much easier to abort with oxygen and I can knock them down in much less time than a Kip-6 and avoid walking around with a black cloud over my head.

Take care,

V/R, Batch
IP Logged

You love lots of things if you live around them. But there isn't any woman and there isn't any horse, not any before nor after, that’s as lovely as a great airplane. Man has one virginity to lose in fighters, and if it is a lovely airplane he loses it to, there is where his heart will forever be.
CostaRicaKris
New Board Veteran
USA 

Currently training for AFC half Marathon

CostaRicaKris  
Email

« Reply #6 on: Apr 3rd, 2008, 10:59pm »

on Apr 3rd, 2008, 6:10pm, starlight wrote:
Rosebuddy,

As far as imitrex, I have felt imitrex gives me some rebound hits but I don't use it much--I use it for hits that get past the O2.   

Ditto. At Kip  3/4 I start with O2 and Rockstars. If that doesn't work, I move on to Imitrex. Are you using O2? I didn't see you mention it.

You aren't being greedy. Constant shadows week after week really wear you down. I've been there myself lately.
IP Logged

Visit my website: http://www.active.com/donate/amnhealthcare/KristinaMorris to learn more about Girls on the Run, a non-profit prevention program that encourages preteen girls to develop self-respect and healthy lifestyles through running
Trooper
New Board Junior
USA 

I ain't skeert!

Email

« Reply #7 on: Apr 3rd, 2008, 11:07pm »

I get hit just about every morning when I wake up with a K5 or 6. This has been going on for about three weeks now. I don't think this is too bad considering I was getting hit every night while sleeping with a K8+. That was my episodic pattern for the last 5 years.  

I have found that using 1000mg of Taurine with coffee will usually abort them within 20 mins. and keep the shadows at bay. I find it works better than the Red bull and energy drinks. I have had some problems though with low blood sugar and this combo first thing in the morning.
IP Logged
Rosebuddy
New Board Newbie
USA 

« Reply #8 on: Apr 5th, 2008, 8:34am »

An update - I stopped the Imitrex, had an all-day 4 which was miserable, then took Melatonin and went to sleep.  That was Thursday night.  Friday was PF and I'm off to a PF morning today!  I am FILLED with optimism.  I have been slamming the Red Bulls at the first twinge, but I don't have oxygen so can't use that - good thing the Red Bull is working.  I have to admit being somewhat self-conscious buying it, though - I don't think 53 year old women are their target group!  Thanks so much to all of you for your insights.  I am thinking I was getting rebounds from the Imitrex, and that my cycle may be about over.
IP Logged
CostaRicaKris
New Board Veteran
USA 

Currently training for AFC half Marathon

CostaRicaKris  
Email

« Reply #9 on: Apr 5th, 2008, 10:45am »

on Apr 5th, 2008, 8:34am, Rosebuddy wrote:
I don't think 53 year old women are their target group!  

LOL. I never bought energy drinks, and I wouldn't if it wasn't for the CH - so I know what you mean.  I'm glad you're feeling better.

PF wishs,
~Kris
IP Logged

Visit my website: http://www.active.com/donate/amnhealthcare/KristinaMorris to learn more about Girls on the Run, a non-profit prevention program that encourages preteen girls to develop self-respect and healthy lifestyles through running
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss