Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 19th, 2024, 5:02pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Re: Try this .. See if it Helps »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   Cluster Headache Help and Support
   Cluster Headache Specific
(Moderator: DJ)
   Re: Try this .. See if it Helps
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Re: Try this .. See if it Helps  (Read 2564 times)
Brew
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Low Four!

« on: Apr 3rd, 2008, 5:37pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Glad it works for you.
IP Logged

Always remember that you're unique, just like everyone else.
Annette
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Australia 

Veni Vidi Velcro

Email

« Reply #1 on: Apr 3rd, 2008, 6:47pm »

How can you not move your head if the whole body is rocking back and forth ?
IP Logged

Mediocrity knows nothing higher than itself; but talent instantly recognizes genius.
Arthur Conan Doyle
SriHem
New Board Newbie
India 

« Reply #2 on: Apr 3rd, 2008, 6:49pm »

I was just trying to help...  Undecided
anyways i have removed my suggestion
« Last Edit: Apr 3rd, 2008, 6:50pm by SriHem » IP Logged
Annette
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Australia 

Veni Vidi Velcro

Email

« Reply #3 on: Apr 3rd, 2008, 6:55pm »

Thank you very much, I understand you are trying to help, and I appreciate it,  I am not knocking you, I just dont know how to follow your suggestion.

I dont have CH but my husband does. Whenever he got hit, he could not sit still. A kip 4-5 and he would be agitated, pacing and squishing his head. Anything above a 7 and he would be rocking uncontrollably, while bouncing his feet. A kip 9 and 10 would see him kneeling on the floor banging his head. There was no way he could sit still. I just dont know how he could hold his head still and not moving it to try out your method.  

IP Logged

Mediocrity knows nothing higher than itself; but talent instantly recognizes genius.
Arthur Conan Doyle
Brew
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Low Four!

« Reply #4 on: Apr 3rd, 2008, 8:02pm »

Damn. I wish you would have left your suggestion up. I was curious to see if anyone else could have tried and confirmed it.

I really am glad you found something that worked.
IP Logged

vietvet2tours
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Team MOOSE DROOL Stinky Stuff on a Hook Prostaff

« Reply #5 on: Apr 3rd, 2008, 8:40pm »

seven up.
IP Logged

Kill em all let God sort em out
thebbz
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Ow,Ow,Ow

Email

« Reply #6 on: Apr 4th, 2008, 2:38pm »

What'd I miss? Dammit. Cheesy
bb
IP Logged

It wasn't me I didn't do it
Brew
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Low Four!

« Reply #7 on: Apr 4th, 2008, 3:08pm »

I don't quite remember. It was something about putting your head down on your desk and breathing deeply.

I wish this guy would put it back up here.
IP Logged

coach_bill
New Board Veteran
USA 

gimmie my imitrex!!

WWW Email

« Reply #8 on: Apr 4th, 2008, 4:21pm »

Sirhem, dont feel like your post was stupid or out of taste, beleive me i made some pretty dumb posts myself in the past and have removed them as soon as something negitive was said, and i should'nt have because thats what this website is for!! it is for people with cluster headaches and the supporters who suffer right along with us. For any reason.. So if someone jumps on you just remember this is your site too. There is some places where it is better to post certain things. For funny, or general. And if you do somehow look again at this post, please re-post because i always look for a way to help myself with a new tool to fight the beast, im the 1st to say i've done some pretty stupid shit at the onset of a  hit to try to make it stop, so whatever you posted im sure i did something even sillyier. Thanks coach bill
IP Logged

boy i cant wait till it's my turn to give him a headache. paybacks a bitch
Annette
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Australia 

Veni Vidi Velcro

Email

« Reply #9 on: Apr 4th, 2008, 5:01pm »

I cant recall accurately but it was about how to deal with a CH attack by putting your head down on a desk and breath in and out deeply and slowly, all the while making sure that the head isnt moved too much. Apparently this helps reducing the pain.  

When I read it I thought maybe its like a form of meditation as in deep breathing and sitting still. I couldnt work out how this could be done during a CH attack because from what I observed of my husband and what others have told me, its virtually impossible to sit still and that it actually hurts more to put the head down.  

I was asking a genuine question as to how it could be done, hoping that the OP would elaborate further. It wasnt meant to be a negative reaction.  
IP Logged

Arthur Conan Doyle
Superdave
New Board Veteran
USA 

« Reply #10 on: Apr 4th, 2008, 5:59pm »

I have done something that sounds like what I think you guys are talking about. And it seems to feel better on the cold granite.

Please repost your suggestion
IP Logged

Wow! you mean it's just in my head?
vietvet2tours
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

« Reply #11 on: Apr 4th, 2008, 6:19pm »

on Apr 4th, 2008, 3:08pm, brewcrew wrote:
I don't quite remember. It was something about putting your head down on your desk and breathing deeply.

I wish this guy would put it back up here.

It's SEVEN UP.

Potter
IP Logged

Brew
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Low Four!

« Reply #12 on: Apr 4th, 2008, 8:31pm »

on Apr 4th, 2008, 6:19pm, vietvet2tours wrote:

It's SEVEN UP.

Potter

confused
IP Logged

vietvet2tours
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

« Reply #13 on: Apr 4th, 2008, 9:08pm »

on Apr 4th, 2008, 8:31pm, brewcrew wrote:

confused

When you were in grade school and ya couldn't go outside for recess ya played seven up.

potter
« Last Edit: Apr 4th, 2008, 9:11pm by vietvet2tours » IP Logged

CostaRicaKris
New Board Veteran
USA 

Currently training for AFC half Marathon

CostaRicaKris  
Email

« Reply #14 on: Apr 4th, 2008, 9:14pm »

We called it by it's full name "Heads up, Seven up" when I was a kid.  
I get the putting your head down on something cold part for those of you that use ice (I use a heating pad) I have a hard time keeping still, but maybe I should try it. SriHem, don't be afraid to post a suggestion. It's just that - a suggestion.  Smiley
IP Logged

Visit my website: http://www.active.com/donate/amnhealthcare/KristinaMorris to learn more about Girls on the Run, a non-profit prevention program that encourages preteen girls to develop self-respect and healthy lifestyles through running
Brew
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Low Four!

« Reply #15 on: Apr 4th, 2008, 9:29pm »

on Apr 4th, 2008, 9:08pm, vietvet2tours wrote:

When you were in grade school and ya couldn't go outside for recess ya played seven up.

potter

I musta growed up in the wrong part of the country, cuz I got no idea what yer talkin' about.

I think that's my problem, not yers.
IP Logged

vietvet2tours
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

« Reply #16 on: Apr 4th, 2008, 9:55pm »

on Apr 4th, 2008, 9:29pm, brewcrew wrote:

I musta growed up in the wrong part of the country, cuz I got no idea what yer talkin' about.

I think that's my problem, not yers.

Seven Up (sometimes called "Heads Up, Seven Up", "Heads Up, Thumbs Up", "Thumbs Up, Seven Up", or "Heads Down, Thumbs Up"Wink is a traditional children's game that is played in primary schools, and to a lesser extent at parties. The goal is for each selected participant to correctly guess the person who pressed down his or her thumb. It takes a minimum of 14 children to play the game in its truest sense, but if there is a smaller group to start with, fewer than seven can be picked at the start. This game dates back to at least the 1960s.
IP Logged

thebbz
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Ow,Ow,Ow

Email

« Reply #17 on: Apr 5th, 2008, 6:02pm »

Dude was rather touchy. Oh well.
thebb
IP Logged

It wasn't me I didn't do it
aubmari
New Board Old Timer
USA 

Do not lose heart~

« Reply #18 on: Apr 7th, 2008, 12:37pm »

on Apr 4th, 2008, 9:55pm, vietvet2tours wrote:

Seven Up (sometimes called "Heads Up, Seven Up", "Heads Up, Thumbs Up", "Thumbs Up, Seven Up", or "Heads Down, Thumbs Up"Wink is a traditional children's game that is played in primary schools, and to a lesser extent at parties. The goal is for each selected participant to correctly guess the person who pressed down his or her thumb. It takes a minimum of 14 children to play the game in its truest sense, but if there is a smaller group to start with, fewer than seven can be picked at the start. This game dates back to at least the 1960s.

My favorite besides substitute day.  Grin
IP Logged

Life is too short for drama & petty things, so kiss slowly, laugh insanely, Love deeply and forgive quickly.

Superdave
New Board Veteran
USA 

« Reply #19 on: Apr 7th, 2008, 3:56pm »

Subsitutes were smartass fodder Cool
IP Logged

SriHem
New Board Newbie
India 

« Reply #20 on: Apr 11th, 2008, 1:22am »

Hey Everyone,

Sorry was out the max part of the week... was up in the hills for some time.... totally out of communications.....

Firstly i apologize for having replied so late and also for removing my suggestion.

I am a new victim of CH... have had two previous episodes ... a few years back... and the suggestion it seemed was pretty stupid and not worth mentioning as i do not have a great idea as to what a CH kip 9 -10 would be.....

However here is what i was saying....

When i get an attack.... However much i feel like dancing and cursing and hitting my head .....i know it is not going to help.... another thing is i am from India and here the O2 remedy is not so easy to get....  
SO.... what i do is however difficult it is i put my head on the study table and breath through my mouth.... Deep repetitive breaths ... up to 200..... (Something Like YOGA technique... frankly i have little belief in YOGA can do much here...) This gets my mouth also dry and i have to take in a lot of water in between breaks. Maybe it is the water therapy that helps... dont know...
Only one thing here ..... when you deep breath do ensure that you are breathing directly in your lungs....  
Here is my suggestion and if it can help anyone ....it would be great.

I have to have a patience as there is nothing else i can do .... except pray and breath.... This is Definitely not a cure or something but it helps ...  

Another thing i have felt the more i move my head the more it hurts.... don't know if it is the same for others also... would like someone to shed some light on this.... Another thing is i met someone who told me that Red Meat and Eggs are also contributing to this... so i am off Red Meat for now....

Let me know friends ... if this is helping anyone....
IP Logged
Qazpur
New Board Newbie
Netherlands 

« Reply #21 on: Apr 11th, 2008, 6:30am »

Hi there SriHem,

Nothing wrong at all with what you suggest, certainly doesn't warrant removal.
Relaxation / concentration / pain perception management, deep breathing (extra oxygen intake), water
 - all very useful weapons in the battle against CH.

Somewhat similar technique mentioned here:  
http://www.clusterheadaches.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=chspecific;a ction=display;num=1205612170;start=4#4

Being a vegetarian has unfortunately not helped me much with CH but it certainly has a lot of other benefits.

Wishing you much pain free time,

qaz
IP Logged
Rosebuddy
New Board Newbie
USA 

« Reply #22 on: Apr 11th, 2008, 7:51am »

First of all, I have been PF for a week now - and even had a glass of red wine last night!  Yay!  But as for the breathing - early on in my cycle I found this site and really, it has saved my sanity.  The tip on Red Bull was a godsend!  But since there were some suggestions for vigorous exercise and eveyone sings the praises of O2, a couple of times I tried taking VERY deep breaths - at least 20 of them - and it stopped the attack.  It quick working after I got into my cycle, and only seemed to work if I did it at the first sign of trouble, but if it got me out of a hit or two it was a valuable technique.  Incidentally, it wasn't as easy as it sounds!  

Here's the surprise for me - now that it seems to be over, the pain is hard to remember.  I have to remind myself of how I would dread going to sleep because I would wake up 2 hours later in so much pain.  And how I had the flu, with a fever and chills, and couldn't take a nap because I would then get a CH as well!  Anyway, here's wishing all of you PF days and if you are in a place where the breathing is all you've got, give it a go.
IP Logged
George_J
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

White-Breasted Nuthatch

Email

« Reply #23 on: Apr 11th, 2008, 8:55am »

SriHem, your coping methods do not sound particularly strange to me.  

It is possible to learn to cope more-or-less successfully with lower-level hits.  In my (admittedly only personal) experience, higher-level hits--9's or 10's--are beyond anything that I can weather with any sort of success.  

Thank you for your contribution.

Best wishes,

George
IP Logged

Ah! The foreigners put on such airs
Wearing the tangerine suits
And their harlequin eyes.
The pain they inspire
Draws in harmonica melodies
And the feathers of birds
Which flame up at their touch.
It all comes to light in the sheer
Debonair.
(Ellen)
Superdave
New Board Veteran
USA 

« Reply #24 on: Apr 11th, 2008, 8:51pm »

Hi srihem,

Glad to see you came back we missed you.

I am familiar with yoga breathing and when under attack it is defiantly in my arsenal.  

Sometimes I find it helpful to hold breath on the inhale until I can no longer. Perhaps to count of 6 or 10 or until I get the feeling of desperation needing fresh air in my lungs. I have aborted bad attacks using this technique several times. Also laying my head on the table or a chair in front of me seems to help me deal with the pain. And finally moving my head around during the fight is usually a bad move.
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss