Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 25th, 2024, 11:16am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Life-Event/Periodic Bouts »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   Cluster Headache Help and Support
   Cluster Headache Specific
(Moderator: DJ)
   Life-Event/Periodic Bouts
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Life-Event/Periodic Bouts  (Read 847 times)
vze2n4nj
New Board Newbie
USA 

Here's to pain free minutes!

realisminlife  
WWW Email

Life-Event/Periodic Bouts
« on: Apr 14th, 2008, 3:41pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

What month of the year do people experience their bouts? Mine has been changing over the years, making me believe that they are more stress-related than triggered by some periodic internal clock. I first got my bouts when I was 20, in college. They occured when I returned to classes in September. Then, I began getting them in January (twice a year) for the next few years. I remember experiencing my only KIP 10 in 2004 when I was 24 in January. Then, I graduated and started a new job in 2006, immediately experiencing a bout in May, which had never happened. Since then, I only get them once a year in April/May (in one now). What do you think about how CH bouts are triggered - stress and internal clock???
IP Logged
seasonalboomer
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

If I think hard enough maybe it'll go away.....

Re: Life-Event/Periodic Bouts
« Reply #1 on: Apr 14th, 2008, 3:49pm »

many of us struggle with this idea. For me, I used to have a very tight seasonal aspect to mine. They've since morphed and my cycles, while not quite sporadic, are less consistent in their timing. Stress, or for many of us, the alleviation of stress is a trigger. I've had mine come right after a very stressful period before.  

The sub-text. No clear answer.

Scott

IP Logged

-----------------------------------------------------
seasonal boomer
-----------------------------------------------------
George_J
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

White-Breasted Nuthatch

Email

« Reply #2 on: Apr 14th, 2008, 3:52pm »

I don't think it's necessarily either/or.  

For many here, it appears that their cycles may be precipitated by stress--or the relief of stress.

I've never experienced that.  My cycles have been consistently seasonal, May/June and October/November--no matter what has occurred in my life, and no matter what stressors have been in play.

I'm not sure you'll elicit any clear-cut answer.  There's a definite seasonal component for some, a definite link to stress in others, and many of us are affected by both.  

CH does what it does.

Best wishes,

George
IP Logged

Ah! The foreigners put on such airs
Wearing the tangerine suits
And their harlequin eyes.
The pain they inspire
Draws in harmonica melodies
And the feathers of birds
Which flame up at their touch.
It all comes to light in the sheer
Debonair.
(Ellen)
vze2n4nj
New Board Newbie
USA 

Here's to pain free minutes!

realisminlife  
WWW Email

« Reply #3 on: Apr 14th, 2008, 4:05pm »

I have my degree in Psychology and have done a fair amount of research in stress and its effects on the brain. Surprisingly, I have only learned minor details instaead of some good, practical understanding. My overall conclusion - we are largely unaware of the stress that we experience. I think there is an interaction between the internal periodicity of the CHs plus life events/stress. If this is the case, than maybe regular meditation/yoga will be helpful in reducing the pain. Knock on wood, my headaches are not as bad as they were when I was in college and grad school. I get KIP 7's and 8's now. I think my stress is lower, since I have a decent work schedule and no more lousy term papers to write or new classes to begin.
IP Logged
CostaRicaKris
New Board Veteran
USA 

Currently training for AFC half Marathon

CostaRicaKris  
Email

« Reply #4 on: Apr 14th, 2008, 8:31pm »

My neuro is convinced that stress brought me out of my four year remission last Septemper (but in the normal start of cluster season) However, while I was in remission I got married and bought a house, although not in that order. Two very stressful life events CH free. I think it's randon.
IP Logged

Visit my website: http://www.active.com/donate/amnhealthcare/KristinaMorris to learn more about Girls on the Run, a non-profit prevention program that encourages preteen girls to develop self-respect and healthy lifestyles through running
mezza
New Board Junior
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #5 on: Apr 14th, 2008, 10:26pm »

Mine have always happenned in the exact same month each time i have had a cycle( i am 6 weeks into this cycle)-  While I can certainly point to some stressors in my life prior to a cycle- i can identify stressors while I wasn't in cycle as well.

Not sure if it is a connection for me - but one thing i do know for sure- being in cycle is probably the most stressful event i experience- juggling kids,kids sports,  work, housework, hits, the side effects of meds, worries about having enough meds etc!  Smiley
IP Logged
BarbaraD
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Hugs to ya

Email

« Reply #6 on: Apr 15th, 2008, 7:47am »

When I was episodic, mine always seemed to hit during relaxed periods - never when I was totally stressed.  

I've always blamed them on the barometer...

Hugs BD
IP Logged

What don't kill ya, Makes ya stonger!

starlight
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #7 on: Apr 15th, 2008, 2:52pm »

In college I would get mine starting Nov. 9--which is also when workload starts to get heavy in college.  Then after college, they started hitting in beginning of summer (but not on an exact date) and these bouts have been much more clearly related to emotional stress (as in college they came every year, but summer bouts not every year).  My take--I think it is a combination of things that cause overload and then CH.
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss