Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Mar 29th, 2024, 3:48am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Verapamil when not in Cycle? »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   Cluster Headache Help and Support
   Cluster Headache Specific
(Moderator: DJ)
   Verapamil when not in Cycle?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Verapamil when not in Cycle?  (Read 916 times)
Trasher
New Board Newbie
USA 

Email

Verapamil when not in Cycle?
« on: May 1st, 2008, 5:37pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I seem to finally be ending a 6 month long cycle.  It's been a long one.  Oxygen has been a blessing.  It really reduces my Imitrex usage.  The Docs had me on the usual Prednisone/Verapamil/Topamax treatment to hopefully "shorten" the cycle.  I don't think it helped.  I was also taking Melatonin.  For three months I woke every night, 4 to 6 times, sometimes hourly.  I don't think it helped either.  

After 30+ years of CH, I think the only thing that ends a cycle is when whatever causes it decides to end it.  

My Neurologist appears to be about 25.  I honestly believe that there is more CH knowledge here than I can get from him.

Is there any evidence that taking Verapamil when I am NOT in cycle could prevent me from ever having CH again?  He seems to think so.  I find that kind of hard to believe.  

Any comments are greatly appreciated.  Thanks!!

Trasher
IP Logged

You can lead a horse to water, but a pencil must be lead.
StressFree
New Board Veteran
USA 

James4:8 I'm a moral failure, but there is hope...

Re: Verapamil when not in Cycle?
« Reply #1 on: May 1st, 2008, 6:30pm »

Hi Thrasher,

I doubt it. Some here likely take blood pressure meds regularly for high blood pressure. Perhaps they will have some good comment. There are at least a few of us that noticed our cycle tends to stop when we quit taking the verapamil. This seems odd, since the verapamil helps lower attack intensity and frequency for the most part. But after being on it for 4 to 6 weeks, it seems that I get more severe break-through attacks. Very high KIP level attacks and for longer and more frequent periods - often right at the end. In desperation, I quit taking all meds (since they seem to have stopped working anyway) and all of a sudden the cycle ends. Maybe it would have ended anyway, but I've seen similar posts. Perhaps this isn't true for the majority of us. I would only take the Verap if I had blood pressure issues, otherwise I'd hope for the very lengthy break between cycles. Best of luck, and more importantly - prayers for you and all here, Rich
IP Logged
Jean
New Board Newbie
USA 

« Reply #2 on: May 1st, 2008, 6:37pm »

Hi Trasher,

I normally go into a cycle in the early part of March.  I then start to take the Verapamil.  Last year my cycle lasted until the end of June.  I don't think that the Verapamil helped at all.  This year I started taking it before my first CH hit and so far I have not  been hit.   I have had some shadows that have had me worried.  I really do think that I would be in a full blown cycle if I had not started the med.

I don't know about any studies or anything but that's how it is working out for me so far.

Jeannie
IP Logged
Bob_Johnson
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #3 on: May 1st, 2008, 8:23pm »

I've known of a couple of good docs who kept some of their more unstable patients on Verap 100% of time. But have never seen any medical studies on the subject so assume these docs were working on limited experience and intuition.

The general pattern is to stop several weeks after your last attack, starting again should the attacks return quickly. I just don't see any clinical guidance to make the decision clearer.
IP Logged

Bob Johnson
DennisM1045
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

One wave at a time!

DennisM1045   DennisM1045
Email

« Reply #4 on: May 2nd, 2008, 7:00am »

I have high blood pressure.  My Dr kept me on a low dose of verapamil (120mg) combined with Hydroclorothiazide to control it after my cycle ends.

It didn't keep the beast from making his regularly scheduled visit this spring.

-Dennis-
IP Logged

Dancing the dance since 1995 ... Family member since 2007 ... No longer alone
kevmd
New Board Veteran
USA 

Who needs a hypothalamus anyway?

« Reply #5 on: May 2nd, 2008, 3:00pm »

I took it pretty much every day for 8 years, in or out of cycle.  Seems everytime I tried to taper off, the shadows started to come.  Since I started, i had a 2 year remission followed by a 4 year remission.  I believe it covered up many cycles.  Sometime I combined it with LIthium if the shadows started coming stronger.  My latest cycle started a while back and I do not think it has helped me this time around.
IP Logged
Jonny
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Give me a shovel Ill dig my own grave!

WWW Email

« Reply #6 on: May 4th, 2008, 3:48pm »

I took 480 mg everyday for nearly 14 years, dontcha know that the beast always found me!.....LOL

Your doc is an idiot!  Wink
IP Logged

It is up to YOU to educate yourself and then help your doctor plan your treatment. If you just sit down in front of your doctor and say "make me better" you are setting yourself up for a great deal of pain.

- Guiseppi

Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss