Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 18th, 2024, 12:02pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « The Birth of OUCH »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   Oct-Dec 2003
(Moderator: DJ)
   The Birth of OUCH
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: The Birth of OUCH  (Read 309 times)
Bob P
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Shut up Bob!

WWW Email

The Birth of OUCH
« on: Oct 1st, 2003, 5:43pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Here's the post that started it.  This is the one that gave OUCH it's name.  It's really uncanny how insightful lc bob was.  He talks of different national OUCH's and even an International OUCH.  In 4 short years, it all happened:

"Posted by lc bob on May 11, 1999 at 20:00:36:

In Reply to: Let`s start on the CH Convention posted by Linda B on May 11, 1999 at 14:54:36:

Geez! what an incredible crew!  

If there were a professional baseball team with half this much enthusiasm they'd make the 1998 Yankees look like pikers. saaaaaaay - you people aren't into baseball, r ya? Smiley hmmmmm ... the PainMasters, the HeadSpikes, the BeastTamers?

but i digress. the convention, bob.

LindaB has posted an agenda that's right on.  

everyone else has offered considerable time and experienced talent to promote a confluence of pain that would make the inquisition look like Disneyland. a single question confounds us.  

where? (drummer's geographic aptitude notwithstanding *smile*).  

i suggest we all take a breath. this is a great idea, in both senses of the word. maybe smaller bites?

let's evolve a CHead org, rather than try to produce one out of the gate.

what if we started with "regional" Organizations to Understand Cluster Headaches (OUCHs)?

we could either have regional OUCHs all on the same weekend and communicate via the web/net (even clusterheadache's chat room) ... or we could schedule them at successive times (so latter OUCHs could gain the benefit of problems and solutions found at previous OUCHs). the groups would be smaller, easier to house and organize, and each might attack a subset of LindaB's agenda points. after a time, we would get better and better at organizing them, the regions might grow bigger and bigger until we actually have national OUCHs and then (who knows?) a worldwide OUCH!

the benes might be ... after a few small OUCHs, we'd have a history of serious OUCHs with attendant suggestions, complaints, diagnostics, aids, etc. to attract drug company support (lessening the chance of them blowing us off as a bunch of crackpots)... precedents of possible media attention that would promote competition between media outlets to cover future OUCHs - even possible support from some media moguls ... our own OUCH experience making them better and more productive ... we could solicit OUCH speakers and a whole bunch of stuff i haven't thought of.

it solves our international - even interstate - hurdle. we could take pics at each OUCH and post 'em here. we could elect an Embassador (like the Madelyn Albright of CHdom) of Pain attend each OUCH to lend consistency and give the impression of the larger community ... of course, this would have to be either an episodic out of cycle or a CHead sigO since any OUCH attendee in cycle would be at best a partial participant ...

ok, ok ... i promised not to write more epistles ... and here this is already unwieldy.

bottom line: smaller, ongoing, regional OUCHs as a start of something bigger. like DJ starting a tiny website in april 1998 and having it grow into this incredible wonderful life-changing entity it is now.  

think small - dream large.
wha'd'ya'all think, CHbros and CHsisters?
-lcb
p.s. i propose a motto: (aahhhh - you all know what it is ...) "
IP Logged

Mrs. Barlow, I never, and I repeat never, ever pissed in your steam iron.

"SHUT UP HUB!"
cathy
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
United_Kingdom 

Not all those that wander are lost......

cathy_lucas47   cybersis1965
Email

Re: The Birth of OUCH
« Reply #1 on: Oct 1st, 2003, 6:00pm »

You only lose sight of your dreams if you take your eyes off the goal posts..... Smiley

Cathy
IP Logged

My own tears would mean nothing to me, if I could stop you from just shedding one....

BarbaraD
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Hugs to ya

Email

« Reply #2 on: Oct 1st, 2003, 6:07pm »

Now you went and did it.... you made me cry again.... that's twice this week.........

Geezzz!!! I remember that night and lcbob. We thought the MB was HUGE then - there were probably 50 or maybe 100 people posting at different times by then - off and on.  

But you're being nice by not going back any further to some of the names he (we - I'm not putting all the blame on him for the Other names) came up with before he hit on OUCH. That one just stuck... a dream .... we were all in the pits of hell about that time with very little hope of getting help... Who would have thought those dreams would be coming true today? The only thing we had to cling to was this board and the support we got here.  

Was that ONLY four years ago? At that time most of us had never even met another Clusterhead. Then Elaine had this "bright" idea that she wanted to meet Drummer and Kip, Todd and I had some free air miles going to waste so we decided to crash that party and ... well ... the First OUCH convention - in Drummers Garage that July.... What an experience that was.... I think Drummer called everyone on the MB and we met everyone (at least on the phone).  

Then a year later we were in Vegas... 35 Clusterheads from 5 countries. That was UN*&^&%^ REAL!  

The rest is just icing on the cake.  So far in so little time.  

But enough of that bunk.. (you know I don't like sentiment - yeah right!) We've still got a long way to go - Clusters ain't wiped out YET. So let's get busy and get rid of the damn things like we started out to do!!!

And BTW lcbob - whereever you are -- I love you  BD
IP Logged

What don't kill ya, Makes ya stonger!

Elaine

Email

« Reply #3 on: Oct 1st, 2003, 6:31pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Who could forget him, if you never clicked on the button the devil, click on it  he wrote that too.
He is a very smart man. He is one man I would of like to of met.
I am gald you put that up Bob. That was what I was talking about when I said O.U.C.H. started here on the board not in that garage. We just took the name and idea and put it in motions. I looked for that post and could not find it! Thank You!
Wouldn't it be nice to have that post put on the O.U.C.H. site so it is never forgotten.  
Every time I click on the members page I see LC Bob's picture and think of him. I hope he is still reading the board!  

IP Logged
jonny

Email

« Reply #4 on: Oct 1st, 2003, 6:33pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

UNBELIEVABLE

Ive been here four years and have never seen this post.

Think this Should be stuck at the top of the board for every newbie to read..just to get a feel of the dates to show how far we have come.

Thanks Bob

........................................jonny
IP Logged
Not4Hire
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

...WAS PF since Oct.'02, but ...oh my...(CBusters)

Email

« Reply #5 on: Oct 1st, 2003, 7:05pm »

Quote:
UNBELIEVABLE

Ive been here four years and have never seen this post.

Think this Should be stuck at the top of the board for every newbie to read..just to get a feel of the dates to show how far we have come.

Thanks Bob

........................................jonny

..this is so....prescient (lookitup) it scares me:...read the NJ/PA minutes....

Quote:
it solves our international - even interstate - hurdle. we could take pics at each OUCH and post 'em here. we could elect an Embassador (like the Madelyn Albright of CHdom) of Pain attend each OUCH to lend consistency and give the impression of the larger community ...

...and this is a *samooooth* fit fer Elaine-the-Embassador (misspelling-n-all) ....E...ya got MY vote fer EMBASSADOR OF PAIN...  Grin

...many thanks Bob P.... this really puts *meaning* to the value of HISTORY....

...notfer...
IP Logged

Mantra: This will NOT kill me...This will not KILL me... This will not kill ME...
JDH
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

We will get by, We will survive!

simnjue2u
Email

« Reply #6 on: Oct 2nd, 2003, 2:26pm »

This is good stuff folks!

bumping so it doesn't get lost in the shuffle

Jim
IP Logged

9-11-01, to remember is to honor.

It's not what you know, it's what you can prove.

ECH established 1985
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss