Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 20th, 2024, 4:31am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Alcoholic with a question »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   Oct-Dec 2003
(Moderator: DJ)
   Alcoholic with a question
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Alcoholic with a question  (Read 663 times)
Reese
New Board Junior

Who's the beeoch now?

Email

Alcoholic with a question
« on: Oct 9th, 2003, 12:28pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hi,I been getting CH for about 4-5 years now.Im 34,m,smoker and beer drinker.Ive been in a cycle now for 3 weeks.I cant say whether beer triggers my attacks or not.Sometimes they get me when Im drinking sometimes not.I have not had a beer in 5 days and the headaches are worse than they ever been.Normally I get 1 a day,but,since no drinking Im getting 2-4 at odd times of the day(not my normal pattern).I never get them while sleeping like most people.I usually get them afternoon/evening,but in the last 5 days I get them in the mornings(very rare) and other times throughout the day.Oxygen aborts them within 5 minutes if Im at home,but at work when it strikes I have to walk at a face pace,eyes barely open,with a killer pain in my head  around the neighborhood of the job we are working at(talk about embarassment).After about a mile the attack ends.I feel bad for the people who think Im walking for exercise and greet me with "good morning" and I just look at them with teeth clenched and grumble grrr or something.I suppose police will show up some day LOL. My question is why are they worse now that I am not drinking any alcohol? The pain can come on like every 2 hours fluctuating in intensity.Any suggestions? When I drink I usually get one 6-10 kip for about an hour then no matter what I do I wont get another until next day.Im baffled and am trying to quit drinking but this is making life unmanageable.
IP Logged

"Mommy,that man is scaring me":quoted by young eye-witness of a Kip 10
Ree
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

2008's my year to shine~SUN IS OUT!!!YAY

64720087 64720087   Reespirit   Ree16Angel
WWW Email

Re: Alcoholic with a question
« Reply #1 on: Oct 9th, 2003, 12:37pm »

I would still say keep up the good work... Maybe you are feeling more of the headache attacks because when you were drinking the alcohol was sedating the pain... or masking the pain...  

With my hubby beer is a definate trigger... some say they abort attacks with beer... those people are also chronic   HELLO... DUH????    they won't even try to give it up to see... sooooooo what can I say?... MOST of the eposodic conventioneers that were in cycle weren't drinking... Those that did got hit OFTEN...this is a good observation...because I'm not much of a drinker... The Ch'ers are also huge smokers OONLY ONE OR TWO DIDN'T SMOKE... one of the chronic people I have had the intense pleasure of being around actually lights one butt from another... Talking to the doc that night he said to me he couldn't believe how much the Clusterheads smoke... My hubby can't quit...  
All of this leads this regular Joe(sephine)to believe that Ch'ers have very addictive personalities... and can usually tollerate pain more intensely than your regular JOE...
Hope I helped... just Ree on the spectater side of Ch... love to you and good luck quitting...
IP Logged

Proud Mom to US ARMY Kiowa OH58 PILOT~CWO2 SCOTT Hawaii, & USMC Vet~Now POLICE OFFICER SEAN, Citizen of the Month~ Breezy~ Nana 4 Matt/Mike&Aya, MIL To Shino Wife to Dave HI BILL!http://www.myspace.com/dungareespockethttp://www.prohawaiian.com
brain_cramps
New Board Hall of Famer
Canada 

Email

« Reply #2 on: Oct 9th, 2003, 12:54pm »

Episodic and getting hit more while NOT drinking?   That's new one (at least as far as I've heard).

While in cycle, alcohol of any type is definitely out for me.  It triggers an attack for me with 5 minutes.

grant        Cool
« Last Edit: Oct 9th, 2003, 12:54pm by brain_cramps » IP Logged
Bob P
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Shut up Bob!

WWW Email

« Reply #3 on: Oct 9th, 2003, 12:55pm »

Well said Ree.  Refreshing to call a spade a spade.
IP Logged

Mrs. Barlow, I never, and I repeat never, ever pissed in your steam iron.

"SHUT UP HUB!"
thatwasmyskull
New Board Newbie

SON OF A

Email

« Reply #4 on: Oct 9th, 2003, 3:16pm »

Had to chime in on this one!  I must agree with previous replies in that alcohol is nearly always a perfect trigger for me.  Which sucks, 'cause I enjoy a beer and a shot as much the next guy...  Haven't had a drink for months.   It's one of the tragic ironies of clusters.   I have used alcohol to trigger on purpose if I need to be pain-free at a certain time... for example, if I have a date at 10 o'clock, I'll slam a double shot of whiskey at 2, get that beast out of the way and then I'm good for 10 o'clock...  I have never heard anyone who got worse from not drinking.  Puzzling.  Whatever the cause, good luck and PFD... Hang in there!  Brian
IP Logged

ouch
jonny

Email

« Reply #5 on: Oct 9th, 2003, 4:49pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

on Oct 9th, 2003, 12:37pm, Ree wrote:
some say they abort attacks with beer... those people are also chronic   HELLO... DUH????  

Gotta call ya on this one Ree, im here everyday for four years and have never seen anyone post that more booze aborts their CH...Chronic or Episodic.

.....................................jonny
IP Logged
Big Dan
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

SMASH BRAIN!

Danboyceccg   DanielNBoyce
Email

« Reply #6 on: Oct 9th, 2003, 5:17pm »

Sorry Ree, but I'm gunna disagree with ya...

... to my knowledge and experience, there ain't no masking pain with alcohol... the more you drink the worse it hurts....  

-Big Dan
IP Logged

Not going anywhere for a while?...

... Grab a Snickers, Fatass.
kim
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #7 on: Oct 9th, 2003, 5:36pm »

I like my beer.  I'm episodic.  When in cycle the thought of beer makes me very very afraid.

No drinky while having clusters.  

Cannot speak for chronic sufferers as i do not walk in their shoes and have no idea what I would do in that situation.

**If you think you have a drinking problem, chances are ya do** and hats off to you for dealing with it! Smiley

Well wishes and PFDAN
IP Logged
Virginia
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

v49acosta  

« Reply #8 on: Oct 9th, 2003, 5:55pm »

Maybe the additional headaches you're getting are "withdrawal headaches" from the alcohol...just a thought  ???.

Don't give up & welcome to the site Reese.
IP Logged

The Clusterhead formerly known as 9erfan.
River_Rat
New Board Old Timer
USA 

NUFF SAID!!!

realtornorm  
Email

« Reply #9 on: Oct 9th, 2003, 5:56pm »

I've tried to drown clusters before, It didn't work.

LEE

Now I just say no! If you knew me you'd no how hard that is. LOL
IP Logged
Reese
New Board Junior

Who's the beeoch now?

Email

« Reply #10 on: Oct 9th, 2003, 7:33pm »

Im thinking withdrawals now,today I was pain free. ;D I many times drank early in the day just to get my headache over with so my later plans would not be spoiled.It usually worked too.I could never drink enough to cover up the pain of a headache,I tried before.I fear headaches now whenever I go out.I went to a fair tonite and the anticipation of pain put a damper on my night along with seeing the "party" at my favorite booth,the beer stand.But...no pain so I left happy and celebrated with a Ruby Tuesday dinner(served with a ice cold WATER).Another thing I suppose could be triggering is my smoking.A couple of packs a day,I must be doing something bad to my oxygen levels.I read above alot of sufferers smoke but it does not seem to be for sure,who knows? Before I go you have to hear what a coworker said to me the other day."Its all in your head"!!!!!!I called him the biggest fuckin loser I ever knew and almost punched his teeth down his throat,really,I started walking in a zone,blood pressure soaring, toward him until my father stopped me.Its all in my head,yup I guess in a sense he was right except when the pain creeps into my neck.Later fellas
IP Logged

"Mommy,that man is scaring me":quoted by young eye-witness of a Kip 10
Ree
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

WWW Email

« Reply #11 on: Oct 9th, 2003, 7:56pm »

jonny you have a pm ... love ya ree
IP Logged

Proud Mom to US ARMY Kiowa OH58 PILOT~CWO2 SCOTT Hawaii, & USMC Vet~Now POLICE OFFICER SEAN, Citizen of the Month~ Breezy~ Nana 4 Matt/Mike&Aya, MIL To Shino Wife to Dave HI BILL!http://www.myspace.com/dungareespockethttp://www.prohawaiian.com
BobG
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

« Reply #12 on: Oct 9th, 2003, 8:08pm »

I've said this many times before and I'll say it again......

You CAN NOT out-drink a cluster headache!

Been there, tried that.  Cry
IP Logged

Stay stressed. Never relax. Never sleep. Ever.
Jackie
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Go For It!!!

Email

« Reply #13 on: Oct 9th, 2003, 8:26pm »

Nope, ya can't out-drink a CH...actually I think the beast likes it. Angry  
Blake tried it many times.....back in the old days.
Bless his heart....it's hell trying to do a bullet when drunk on your ass.... Undecided Roll Eyes

Jacks Cool
« Last Edit: Oct 9th, 2003, 8:36pm by Jackie » IP Logged
Ree
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

WWW Email

« Reply #14 on: Oct 9th, 2003, 8:33pm »

LOL THATS A sad and scarey picture Jackie... hope you never have to see that!!!!    love to you ree
IP Logged

Jackie
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Go For It!!!

Email

« Reply #15 on: Oct 9th, 2003, 8:38pm »

LMAO.....yep, Ree....it was a pitiful sight and I wasn't sure how to help..... Roll Eyes

Jacks Cool
IP Logged
Charlie
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Happy to be here

135447360 135447360   mondocharlie   mondocharlie
Email

« Reply #16 on: Oct 9th, 2003, 10:25pm »

Like Jonny, I could drink with CH. I cannot conceive of using booze to mitigate the effect of CH. Not gonna work. Neither does tobacco. It's rationalization #343.

Stick around and let us know how things are going.

Charlie
IP Logged

There is nothing more satisfying than being shot at without result---Winston Churchill
ave
New Board Hall of Famer
Netherlands 

She is beside herself; her favourite position

« Reply #17 on: Oct 10th, 2003, 2:51am »

Hate to disagree, cause I hate to drive people to drink...

But I have been known to go out on the town and drink a lot - in a devil-may-care attitude, "I'll get hit anyway, at least I'll have some fun with my friends".

Next morning I might be hung over, but I didn't get my two-hourly wake-up call in the night and my evening was not spoiled by attacks. So

* Alcohol has never been a trigger to me.
* Overindulging in alcohol has often chased attacks  

I realize this goes for very few people. Most have alcohol as a trigger. Also, it is not a "medication" I would recommend because of its side effects...

This said, I have an issue with the "addicitive personality" idea. I know the expression is widely used, but it seems to suggest that if you use alcohol, tobaccao etc., you have a weak personality that cannot stand up to the lure of something pleasant.

It is much, much more complicated.  The simplified  story is that some neurotransmitters in your brain, the endorphins, get excited by what gives you a good feeling (cream cakes, cigarettes, chat rooms, beer....) and can create a sort of closed feedback loop.  
You feel good - they incite you to  find more of the same.

This does not happen to everybody in the same degree. Hence some people can leave it alone easily, for others  it is a hard haul going against their own endorphins.

Blaming it on your endorphins and doing nothing is the
weak way out.
Blaming it on somebody's  personality alone is cheap and not according to fact.
IP Logged

There is a break in reality. Do not adjust your mind.
suzy617
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Love is friendship set on fire

suzy617
Email

« Reply #18 on: Oct 10th, 2003, 6:00am »

Beer is definitely a trigger for me while in cycle but I have found that if I were to drink ALOT of vodka on a weekend night, I would not be hit with my middle of the night CH. Its not possible to do that during the week but last cycle I never once got hit on the weekend when doing that.  Thats just me though and thank goodness for Absolute when the beast is around. Maybe the alcohol keeps you out of the REM sleep, dont know but it works for me. So for 6-8weeks I get drunk every weekend and at least I get to sleep.  Feel like crap the next day but hey, cant have everything.  Grin

Suzy
IP Logged

When God measures men, He puts the tape around the heart, not the head.
r_headache
New Board Junior
Germany 

Air Force Rocks!!

« Reply #19 on: Oct 10th, 2003, 8:49am »

This is an interesting topic, some types of alcohol is a trigger while others isn't.  My worst CH was after drinking wine (5 hours of a level 10).  If I have only two or three beers I will get hit by the beast but if I have five or more beers the beast will never show up.... ???  I will never touch wine again but beer and rum seem to be just fine.
IP Logged
Turts
New Board Hall of Famer
Australia 

Ever danced with the devil by the pale moonlight

Email

« Reply #20 on: Oct 10th, 2003, 9:05am »

Quote:
But I have been known to go out on the town and drink a lot - in a devil-may-care attitude, "I'll get hit anyway, at least I'll have some fun with my friends".  

Next morning I might be hung over, but I didn't get my two-hourly wake-up call in the night and my evening was not spoiled by attacks.

Im very much the same.

I have a low tolerance for many 5-6 kip HA'S. e.g. today I have had a kip 6 every two hrs. This has driven me more insane than a 10.  

So, Im on the piss, either give me a ten and leave me the fuck alone, or just leave me the fuck alone.

Turts
IP Logged

'I'm very brave generally,' he went on in a low voice: 'only today I happen to have a headache.' (Lewis Carroll)
Ann
New Board Hall of Famer
Canada 

Annage

Email

« Reply #21 on: Oct 10th, 2003, 9:22am »

Well drinking beer for me is a trigger when in cycle.  When I quit smoking this spring my headaches were out of control...so I'm thinking that you are probably getting withdrawal headaches same as I was.  You should have seen me whining to my hon that I just had to have a smoke...."I can't continue like this...I'm getting hit more often than before...please let me have a ciggy!sniff sniff..whine whine!!"  LMAO.... it didn't work by the way..and I haven't had a smoke since march or april..can't remember which...I should probably lay off the booze too!  hehe  just kidding!

Good luck and stay strong!
hugs
Ann
IP Logged
fubar
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #22 on: Oct 10th, 2003, 11:11am »

The only thing Ree did wrong was generalize (unintentionally, I'm sure) all clusterheads as 'addictive personalities'.  That's going to ruffle a few feathers no matter what group you're talking about.

I wonder if our affliction leads us to encounter addictive substances more often, or if it's the reverse.  I don't have any addictive tendancies, thank God.  But I've seen what an addictive personality is, and there is no mistaking it.  It doesn't even have to be a drug that they get addicted to, it can be a hobby, a project, a habit, whatever.

It did seem amazing to me how many smokers there were at the convention, judging by the pictures.  What are the odds?  I mean, if I look at the street I live on, out of 15 houses (maybe 25 adults) I think we have 3 smokers.  Maybe that's just California, but the proportions are drastically different than what was at the convention.

While I disagree with the notion that all clusterheads are 'addictive personalities', I would bet money that a larger percentage of them are when compared with the general population.

-Shawn

IP Logged

"He who has a why to live for can bear almost any how." -- Friedrich Nietzsche
ZAIRA
New Board Hall of Famer
Italy 

Brave to Stand !!!

Email

« Reply #23 on: Oct 10th, 2003, 2:48pm »

My experience ....when in cluster no alcohol, it provokes attacks.... Angry
IP Logged

Love yourself, Love others, Love often, Forever!
vig
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

CHit Happens

alongivsiuolluap
WWW Email

« Reply #24 on: Oct 10th, 2003, 3:44pm »

booze bad
IP Logged

never, Never, NEVER quit. -Winston Churchill
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss