Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Mar 29th, 2024, 5:17am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « The Chinaman's Chance »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   Daily Chat
   Funnies and Jokes
(Moderator: DJ)
   The Chinaman's Chance
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: The Chinaman's Chance  (Read 865 times)
RichardN
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

lastchantsranch   babbleontn
Email

The Chinaman's Chance
« on: Dec 23rd, 2007, 2:56pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I have always been interested in the derivation of words/phrases.  Many of you GHOFs (Grayhaired-old-farts) know this phrase from the Bogey era movies, . . . "he doesn't have a chinaman's chance".

In 1981, I was fortunate to meet and be able to spend quite a lot of time with a wonderful & kindly man . . . Boris Rings, who was 81 at the time.  Boris fought (on the white side) during the Russian revolutionary war, and (when the Reds won) walked out of Russia . . . then was an aircraft mechanic for the U.S. Army Air Corp in World War I . . . immigrated to this country and worked in the (military) aircraft industry til his retirement in the 70's.  He and his wife (also Russian immigrant) were married 50 yrs, but unfortunately never had children, and both lost all their relatives in the revolution.   His wife had passed a year before I met him.  Boris is long gone . . . and this is my way of continuing his memory.  I will try and tell this story as it was told to me.

The Chinaman's Chance

First, . . . you have to understand that Russians REALLY like good tea (and of course vodka).  Now everyone knows that the best teas come from China.  In olden days, there were only two ways to get teas from China to the northeast regions of Russia.  One, by the overland route . . . which was long, arduous, and expensive.  The other by sea routes going via the Yellow Sea and Sea of Japan.

Now . . . because the Russians REALLY liked their tea, they preferred the overland route product as the sea transported teas were frequently tainted with salt water.

One of the problems with the overland route is they had to go through Siberia . . . and in southern Siberia they had to contend with the Siberian tiger.  Now the interesting thing about the Siberian tiger is . . . they will always circle and attack from the rear.  Now of course the caravans had professional guards/hunters to protect their men/animals/cargo, but before leaving on the journey they would hire (at VERY good wages . . . half in advance . . . balance at the end of the trip) several (needed more than one) chinamen, who's job is was . . . to be the LAST guy in the tea caravan . . . ..  and THAT was  "The Chinaman's Chance"

And you thought YOUR job sucked   Tongue
IP Logged

I can live with the beast as long as I don't have to "dance" with the bastard.
phil_h
New Board Old Timer
USA 

one day at a time , one headache at a time.....

phh252
Email

Re: The Chinaman's Chance
« Reply #1 on: Dec 27th, 2007, 7:28am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

jaw_drop jaw_drop
IP Logged

Angels are among us ........beasts beware !!!!!!
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss