Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 19th, 2024, 5:24pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Emotional Intelligence »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   Daily Chat
   General Posts
(Moderator: DJ)
   Emotional Intelligence
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Emotional Intelligence  (Read 2192 times)
Annette
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Australia 

Veni Vidi Velcro

Email

Emotional Intelligence
« on: Jan 5th, 2008, 3:00am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Latest researches have shown that EIQ ( emotional intelligent quota ) is more important than IQ ( intelligent quota ), especially for developing children.  

Emotional Intelligence

Introduction taken from the book Raising an Emotionally Intelligent Child by John Gottman, Ph. D. with permission of the author. Copyright 1997 by John Gottman, all rights reserved.

Good parenting requires more than intellect. It touches a dimension of the personality that's been ignored in much of the advice dispensed to parents over the past thirty years. Good parenting involves emotion.  

In the last decade or so, science has discovered a tremendous amount about the role emotions play in our lives. Researchers have found that even more than IQ, your emotional awareness and ability to handle feelings will determine your success and happiness in all walks of life, including family relationships. For parents, this quality of "emotional intelligence"-- as many now call it-- means being aware of your children's feelings, and being able to empathize, soothe, and guide them. For children, who learn most lessons about emotion from their parents, it includes the ability to control impulses, delay gratification, motivate themselves, read other people's social cues, and cope with life's ups and downs.  

"Family life is our first school for emotional learning, " writes Daniel Goleman, psychologist and author of Emotional Intelligence, a book that describes in rich detail the scientific research that has led to our growing understanding of this field. "In this intimate cauldron we learn how to feel about ourselves and how others will react to our feelings; how to think about these feelings and what choices we have in reacting; how to read and express hopes and fears. This emotional schooling operates not just through the things parents say and do directly to children, but also in the models they offer for handling their own feelings and those that pass between husband and wife. Some parents are gifted emotional teachers, others atrocious."

What parental behaviors make the difference? As a research psychologist studying parent-child interactions, I have spent much of the past twenty ears looking for the answer to this question. Working with research teams at the University of Illinois and the University of Washington, I have conducted in-depth research in two studies of 119 families, observing how parents and children react to one another in emotionally charged situations. We have been following these children from age four to adolescence. In addition, we are in the process of tracking 130 newlywed couples as they become parents of young infants. Our studies involve lengthy interviews with parents, talking about their marriages, their reactions to their children's emotional experiences and their own awareness of the role emotion plays in their lives. We have tracked children's physiological responses during stressful parent-child interactions. We have carefully observed and analyzed parents' emotional reactions to their kids' anger and sadness. Then we have checked in with these families over time to see how their children developed in terms of health, academic achievement, emotional development, and social relationships.  

Our results tell a simple, yet compelling story. We have found that most parents fall into one of two broad categories: those who give their children guidance about the world of emotion and those who don't.  

I call the parents who get involved with their children's feelings "Emotion Coaches." Much like athletic coaches, they teach their children strategies to deal with life's ups and downs. They don't object to their children's displays of anger, sadness, or fear. Nor do they ignore them. Instead, they accept negative emotions as a fact of life and they use emotional moments as opportunities for teaching their kids important life lessons and building closer relationships with them.  

The process of Emotion Coaching that my research colleagues and I uncovered in our studies of successful parent-child interactions typically happens in five steps. The parents:  

1. become aware of the child's emotion;  

2. recognize the emotion as an opportunity for intimacy and teaching;  

3. listen empathetically, validating the child's feelings;  

4. help the child find words to label the emotion he is having; and

5. set limits while exploring strategies to solve the problem at hand.  

The Effects of Emotion Coaching

What difference does it make when children have Emotion-Coaching parents? By observing and analyzing in detail the words, actions, and emotional responses of families over time, as we have done in our studies, we have discovered a truly significant contrast.  

Children whose parents consistently practice Emotion Coaching have better physical health and score higher academically than children whose parents don't offer such guidance. These kids get along better with friends, have fewer behavior problems, and are less prone to acts of violence. Over all, children who are Emotion-Coached experience fewer negative feelings and more positive feelings. In short, they're more healthy emotionally.  

But here's the result I find most surprising: When mothers and fathers use a coaching style of parenting, their children become more resilient. The kids who are Emotion-Coached still get sad, angry, or scared under difficult circumstances, but they are better able to soothe themselves, bounce back from distress, and carry on with productive activities. In other words, they are more emotionally intelligent.  

Indeed, our research shows that Emotion Coaching can even protect kids from the proven harmful effects of an increasingly common crisis for American families-marital conflict and divorce.  

With more than half of all marriages now ending in divorce, millions of children are at risk for problems many social scientists have linked to family dissolution. These problems include school failure, rejection by other children, depression, health challenges, and antisocial behavior. Such problems can also affect children from unhappy, conflict-ridden homes even when their parents don't divorce. Our own research shows that when a couple constantly fights, their conflict gets in the way of their child's ability to form friendships. We also found that marital conflict affects a child's schoolwork and increases the child's susceptibility to illness. We now know that a major result of the epidemic of ailing and dissolving marriages in our society is an increase in deviant and violent behavior among children and teenagers.  

But when the Emotion-Coaching parents in our studies experienced marital conflict, or were separated or divorced, something different happened. With the exception of the fact that these kids were generally "sadder" than the other children in our study, Emotion-Coaching seemed to shield them from the deleterious effects suffered by so many who have this experience. Previously proven effects of divorce and marital conflict, such as academic failure, aggression, and problems with peers, did not show up in the Emotion-Coached kids; all of which suggests that Emotion-Coaching offers children the first proven buffer against the emotional trauma of divorce.  

While such findings are obviously relevant for families who are currently struggling with marital problems and the aftermath of a divorce, we expect that further research will reveal that Emotion-Coaching can buffer children against a whole host of other conflicts, losses, and heartaches as well.  

Another surprising discovery from our research has to do with fathers. Our studies found that when dads adopt an Emotion-Coaching style of parenting, it has an extremely positive impact on their children's emotional development. When fathers are aware of their kids' feelings and try to help them solve problems, children do better in school and in relationships with others. In contrast, an emotionally distant dad-one who is harsh, critical, or dismissing of his children's emotions-can have a deeply negative impact. His kids are more likely to do poorly in school, fight more with friends, and have poor health. (This emphasis on dads does not mean that a mother's involvement doesn't affect children's emotional intelligence as well. The effects of her interactions with her children are significant. But our studies indicate that a father's influence can be much more extreme, whether that effect is good or bad.  

At a time when an alarming 28 percent of American children are growing up in mother-only households, the significance of a father's presence in a child's life cannot be overlooked. We shouldn't assume, however that any father is better than no father. An emotionally present dad can be a tremendous benefit in a child's life, but a cold and cruel father can do great harm.  

While our research shows that Emotion-Coaching parents can help their kids develop into healthier, more successful adults, the technique is by no means a cure for serious family problems that require the help of a professional therapist. And unlike proponents of many other parenting theories, I will not promise that Emotion-Coaching is a panacea for all the normal problems of family life. Practicing Emotion Coaching does not mean all family arguments will cease, that there will be no more harsh words, no more bruised feelings, no more sadness or stress. Conflict is a fact of family life. Still, once you start using Emotion Coaching, you will probably feel yourself growing closer to your children. And when your family shares a deeper intimacy and respect, problems between family members will seem lighter to bear.  

And finally, Emotion Coaching does not mean and end to discipline. Indeed, when you and your children are emotionally close, you are even more invested in their lives an can therefore assert a stronger influence. You're in a position to be tough when toughness is called for. When you see your children making mistakes or slacking off, you can call them on it. You're not afraid to set limits. You're not afraid to tell them when they've disappointed you , when you know they can do better. And because you have an emotional bond with your children, your words matter. They care about what you think and they don't want to displease you. In this way, Emotion Coaching may help you guide and motivate your kids.  

Emotion Coaching requires a significant amount of commitment and patience, but the job is essentially the same as that of any other coach. If you want to see your kid excel at baseball, you don't avoid the game; you get out in the yard and start working with him. Likewise, if you want to see your child handle feelings, cope with stress, and develop healthy relationships, you don't shut down or ignore expressions of negative emotion; you engage with your child and offer guidance.  

While grandparents, teachers, and other adults can serve as Emotion Coaches in a child's life, as a parent, you're in the best spot for the job. After all, you're the one who knows what rules you want your child to play by. And you're the one who's going to be there when life gets tough. Whether the challenge is infant colic, potty training, sibling warfare, or broken prom dates, your child looks to you for signals. So you might as well put on the coach's cap and help your child win the game.  

Articles

Emotional Intelligence: Five Years Later    Daniel Goleman  

Welcoming Spirit Into Our Schools   Gary Tubbs  

Leadership in the Millennium David Dunning

Recommended Reading

The Personal Intelligences:? Promoting Social and Emotional Learning    Launa Ellison

Raising an Emotionally Intelligent Child    John Gottman

The Key to Success: Developing Emotional Intelligence in Young Children    Gail Kushnir

IP Logged

Mediocrity knows nothing higher than itself; but talent instantly recognizes genius.
Arthur Conan Doyle
DennisM1045
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

One wave at a time!

DennisM1045   DennisM1045
Email

Re: Emotional Intelligence
« Reply #1 on: Jan 5th, 2008, 7:22am »

Thanks for posting this Annette.

The study conclusions strike me as common sense.  I've always been able to know a rocky home just from talking to the friends of my children.  You can see it in thier view of the world.  

Emotionally detached parents (male or female) will damage a childs development.  The fact that this is news to researchers tells us more about the researchers than it does about parenting.

I don't like to think of myself as an emotional coach.  That's just to clinical for me.  I'm simply a Dad.  

-Dennis-
IP Logged

Dancing the dance since 1995 ... Family member since 2007 ... No longer alone
Kevin_M
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

withered branches grow green again.

« Reply #2 on: Jan 5th, 2008, 8:02am »

on Jan 5th, 2008, 3:00am, Annette wrote:
...become more resilient.  

...bounce back from distress, and carry on with productive activities. In other words, they are more emotionally intelligent.

Like a CH support board.   Smiley

IP Logged
kimh
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

What don't kill ya makes ya stronger

Email

« Reply #3 on: Jan 5th, 2008, 9:19am »

WOW.  Thanks Annette for sharing that article.  My teenager and I just read it together Smiley  We are going through some tough times and those words were very relevant Smiley

Well wishes,
kim
IP Logged
Redd
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #4 on: Jan 5th, 2008, 10:27am »

Could you possibly post a link to this and the other articles for printing in their original forms?

Some issues arising in my family life could benifit from this information, providing it's from the original source.

Thanks in advance Annette, if you can find it.

Pegg
IP Logged

I saw an act of faith today. A man was on his knees, not in a pew in a Church, but in a garden planting seeds. ~~Unknown
Brew
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Low Four!

« Reply #5 on: Jan 5th, 2008, 10:32am »

on Jan 5th, 2008, 7:22am, DennisM1045 wrote:
The study conclusions strike me as common sense.

If common sense was common, everyone would have it. Wink
IP Logged

Always remember that you're unique, just like everyone else.
cash5542
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

cash5542

« Reply #6 on: Jan 5th, 2008, 10:49am »

Thanks for posting this. It explains why many of my students get through trauma in their lifes better than others. Also, a good reminder to me how to handle these kids when they are going through something hard for them whether it be the pressures of school or home.

Charlotte
IP Logged
DennisM1045
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

One wave at a time!

DennisM1045   DennisM1045
Email

« Reply #7 on: Jan 5th, 2008, 12:25pm »

on Jan 5th, 2008, 10:32am, brewcrew wrote:

If common sense was common, everyone would have it. Wink

Too true Grin
IP Logged

Dancing the dance since 1995 ... Family member since 2007 ... No longer alone
Rosybabe
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

"Too much of a good thing can be wonderful!!

smurph  
Email

« Reply #8 on: Jan 5th, 2008, 2:22pm »

I always tought that a healthy mind comes with a healthy heart. If a child is happy at home that will show on his/her school work and in his/her relationships with others. I have seen how much the actions of the parents affect their children. It is so sad when the children are neglected and neither parent stops to listen at them.  Cry
IP Logged

Believing is just the beginning!
Annette
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Australia 

Veni Vidi Velcro

Email

« Reply #9 on: Jan 5th, 2008, 6:24pm »

on Jan 5th, 2008, 7:22am, DennisM1045 wrote:

The study conclusions strike me as common sense.  

The fact that this is news to researchers tells us more about the researchers than it does about parenting.

-Dennis-

I agree with what you said Dennis, but clinical researches and publication of results like this are important because

1- Not all parents or adults for that matter have common sense as Bill pointed out, this raises the general awareness in the community and for those who are involved in child education and child care.

2- This has helped modifying teaching programs and curriculums at school so that teachers and child carers become more aware of the emotional needs of the children as well as their academic needs.

3- The finding of the importance of the fathers influence on a childs emotional well being has helped change the decision making process of Judges in family courts, recognising the vital role of the fathers. In the past, it was widely believed that a good mother is all a child needed.  

IP Logged

Mediocrity knows nothing higher than itself; but talent instantly recognizes genius.
Arthur Conan Doyle
Annette
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Australia 

Veni Vidi Velcro

Email

« Reply #10 on: Jan 5th, 2008, 6:26pm »

on Jan 5th, 2008, 10:27am, Redd wrote:
Could you possibly post a link to this and the other articles for printing in their original forms?

Pegg

Sure Pegg  Smiley

Emotional Intelligence: Five Years Later  

(This article originally appeared on the George Lucas Education Foundation's website. Reprinted with permission).  

by Daniel Goleman  

• At a middle school in Puerto Rico, students work in teams on science projects. When there's an angry disagreement between two boys on one team, they don't argue or get into a fight, they go to separate parts of the room to calm down before coming back together with another student, a mediator, to resolve the conflict.  

• A class of second graders in Connecticut starts the morning off in a "feelings circle," where the boys and girls tell how they feel that day, and why. Says one boy, "I'm really happy today. My father said I could have a bike for Christmas." A girl: "My grandma is in the hospital, and I'm sad about it."  

• A sixth-grade boy in a California school has a history of getting mad and starting fights. Other kids had started to avoid him. But in his class, he's learned a method called "Keep Calm" that he uses when he feels himself start to lose his cool: he steps into the hallway, thinks about how he can control his reactions, what he really wants and positive ways to get them.

Hundreds of Programs  
Each of these classes, in its own way, offers children valuable lessons in emotional intelligence, the ability to manage feelings and relationships. When I wrote the 1995 book, Emotional Intelligence, there were fewer than a half dozen such school programs that I could manage to track down. Today, just five years later, there are hundreds of these programs in tens of thousands of schools - not just throughout the United States but around the world.  

When I gave a lecture recently in Shanghai, for instance, I was surprised to hear that 60 schools there were offering children an emotional intelligence-based curriculum. I've heard about many such programs in country after country.  

My book, I'm pleased to say, has been one seed for the growth of these programs. My main argument was that the elements of emotional intelligence - being aware of our feelings and handling disruptive emotions well, empathizing with how others feel, and being skillful in handling our relationships - are crucial abilities for effective living. Because data from around the world suggest that these human abilities may be on the decline in children in modern economies, my book proposed we should be teaching the basics of emotional intelligence in schools.  

That message alone, however, would not have been enough to drive the spread of these programs worldwide. We have been fortunate to have hundreds of dedicated educators who have taken it upon themselves to develop high-quality curricula in what is now called "social and emotional learning" or SEL - the basic lessons of emotional intelligence in the form of school-based programs.

What Works  
The best SEL programs teach the full spectrum of EI abilities, from self-awareness to social problem-solving. They repeat the lessons over the full course of a child's school years in a developmentally appropriate way and fit seamlessly into standard curricula in ways that enhance other topics without stealing time from them.  

That SEL has flourished owes much to the Collaborative for Academic, Social, and Emotional Learning (CASEL), a clearinghouse for quality programs that helps schools around the world identify and implement appropriate curricula. When I co-founded CASEL in 1994 with Eileen Growald, Tim Shriver, and a small group of educators and psychologists, it was based in the Child Studies Center at Yale University. Since then it has moved, with its director, Roger Weissberg, to its present home at the University of Illinois at Chicago. I invite you to visit its website, to find out the latest news on social and emotional learning and to learn more about the close to 200 different programs available.  

The concept of emotional intelligence - and the rationale for SEL - was based on several strands of scientific research. For example, new methods of brain research had revealed that the centers in the brain that regulate emotion continue to grow anatomically into adolescence. And while we once had thought that a child's emotional abilities were largely determined by experiences in the first few years of life, brain researchers were finding that the centers for emotional regulation continued to take shape throughout the school years.  

Data also showed that helping children gain abilities in self-awareness, in managing distressing emotions, in empathy, and in relationship skills could act as an inoculation against a range of perils: violence and crime, substance abuse, unwanted pregnancies, eating disorders, and depression, to name just a few.

A 'Proper Education'  
In the five years since I wrote Emotional Intelligence, these scientific discoveries have been supported by new findings. For instance, brain researchers now accept that our repeated experiences help shape the brain itself and that this "neural plasticity" continues throughout life. Childhood experiences have special potency in this process. This means that the school years are a neurological window of opportunity, a chance to ensure that all children will get the right experiences to help them flourish in their jobs and careers, as mothers and fathers, husbands and wives, as citizens of our communities.  

The sobering reality of the shootings at Columbine High School and the string of related tragedies in our schools highlights the need for us to offer this education of the emotions to our nation's children. I think of the words of the Renaissance humanist, Erasmus, who wrote centuries ago, "The best hope of a nation lies in the proper education of its children." His words ring ever more true today.

------------------------------------------------------------------------ --------

About the Author:  

Daniel Goleman, Ph.D., is the author of the 1995 international best-seller, Emotional Intelligence. Goleman cited a wealth of research on the brain to support the idea that such skills as self-control, getting along with others, perseverance, and self-motivation -- emotional intelligence -- may be more important than IQ in determining overall lifelong success. He also demonstrated that such skills can be taught, especially during childhood. He also is the author of "Working with Emotional Intelligence." To read more about Daniel Goleman, visit this website: www.eiconsortium.org/members/goleman.htm .

You may contact Daniel Goleman by email: goleman@javanet.com  

An adaptation of this article is also published in Edutopia: Success Stories for Learning in the Digital Age. For more information, contact The George Lucas Educational Foundation, P. O. Box 3494, San Rafael, CA 94912, Phone: 415-444-8909, Fax: 415-507-0499, edutopia@glef.org www.glef.org.

« Last Edit: Dec 6th, 2018, 2:33pm by DJ » IP Logged

Arthur Conan Doyle
Annette
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Australia 

Veni Vidi Velcro

Email

« Reply #11 on: Jan 5th, 2008, 6:29pm »

The Key to Success: Developing Emotional Intelligence in Young Children
by Gail Kushnir
Aschai Publishers, 2003  

Research by Gardner on multiple intelligences and Goleman on emotional intelligence has shown that emotional intelligence is crucial in building the foundations for educational, social and vocational success. The author of this book points out that it can be learned at all ages, but the earlier the better. Fostering emotional intelligence in young children will help these skills become second nature as children grow into productive adults. An emotionally secure child will be more independent, self-confident, tolerant, empathetic, and non-violent, both as a child and later as an adult. The Key to Success is a practical guide to help develop emotional intelligence. It provides hands-on activities to be used in pre-schools, in elementary schools, and at home. The chapters focus on curiosity, emotional expression, delaying gratification, organization skills, taking responsibility, and problem-solving. Parents, day-care providers, and pre -school teachers will find this an invaluable handbook.  

Welcoming Spirit into Our Schools

by Gary Tubbs

Welcoming Spirit into our schools is no small task, no vogue instructional strategy. It is about reminding (re-minding) ourselves of how powerful and wonderful we are, about releasing old habits that no longer serve us and expressing a more conscious way of being in the world.

Spirit is experienced and expressed uniquely by each of us. Yet, there are common themes cutting through the core beliefs of the world's religions, faith traditions and indigenous peoples, such as:
· Thoughts and words create our experience of life.
· Love is a powerful force.
· There is wisdom in following one's heart and joy.

We should practice and teach these beliefs to our children by our example. These – and others like them – create a solid foundation for what I call, "welcoming Spirit into our schools."

From my perspective, schools historically have been knowledge-based institutions of structure, control, and the domestication of children. Although many schools have taken strides to become more nurturing communities of purposeful learning and/or have made attempts to give children voice and choice, I'm suggesting we intentionally welcome Spirit into our schools as a microcosm of a greater societal urgency. Let's set the example and lead the way rather than playing victim to society. Let our schools be safe places to practice being our higher selves and coaching the children as we practice.

To welcome Spirit into our schools means that each child entering the school door is seen by all the adults in the school community as "a bright spirit on a magnificent journey." Clearly, we don't have to "fill" the child with Spirit. They come to us that way. Just look in their eyes! They are whole yet wide-open to receive amazing information about the Art of Living, including the tools and knowledge associated with rigorous academics (and passing the WASL!)

We must tap into their spirit, nurture and guide them into becoming fine human beings who know, accept and love their authentic selves, their HIGHER selves. We must give them support, encouragement and permission to know themselves as precious natural resources who have the power to contribute powerfully to the co-creation of their lives and a better world through the choices they make in each moment. This sounds so basic, so simple, and yet it's not easy. We are out of practice and we've developed – as a society – some "bad" habits.

When we honor the whole child: body, mind and spirit, we give attention to a harmonious daily program that balances the infusion of knowledge with opportunities for self-expressions via a host of creative outlets:
· A culturally responsive curriculum built around the interests and joys of the children
· Purposeful projects and activities that contribute to character development, community improvement, humanitarian efforts, etc
· Discipline that nourishes the child's spirit rather than depletes it
· Encouragement vs. praise
· Opportunities to solve problems with adults coaching yet not controlling
· Voice and choice
· Time for reflection, contemplation, silence and stillness
· Multi-arts such as music, dance, yoga, drama, visual arts, etc.
· Consistency AND freedom  
· Encouragement to take safe risks, making many "mistakes"

Institutionalized practices and policies that separate and label children do not contribute to the healing of our confused society. It's time to value cooperation over competition, wisdom along with knowledge, and stillness along with action. It's time to practice more equity and compassion. Let's stop being such a frightened society and practice relaxing as a "basic skill".

There is nothing new about exploring the big questions of, "Why am I here?" and "What is my purpose?" Yet, the impact on a school is amazing when parents and educators revisit these questions, becoming very present, aware and honest around them. Let's stop pretending we have the answers, stop living within the illusion that we're "in control." It's time to be fully responsible for the roles we've been called to play and re-awaken to our personal connection to spiritual living.

Transforming our schools is not about changing the children. It's about each adult being willing to evolve from the "inside-out." Children are highly sensitive and receptive to the adults in their lives. They "sponge" from the energy and essence of the world in which they live – home, school and community. Adults addicted to "drama" such as gossip, worry, criticism, complaining and control, are often not even aware of their unhealthy choices. Yet children suffer the effects of these "poisonous" behaviors. I believe schools must become intentional communities where the adults agree not to bring their personal "mess" into the school. As role-models we must be mindful of the seeds we are planting. Let us plant the seeds we want to nourish, nurture, and grow. Let us be fruitful so that life on this planet is sustained.  

We have this Knowledge. We have this Wisdom. We have this Power. Now are we willing to welcome Spirit into our schools? A simple, "Yes", is all we each need to say. Yes.  

------------------------------------------------------------------------ --------

About the author  
Gary Tubbs is currently the principal of The New School at Southshore, a public/private partnership in the Seattle Public School District. It is the vision of The New School to "be a loving community committed to equity and purposeful learning that honors the whole child: body, mind and spirit!"  

Gary was previously the Director of Academic Achievement for Superintendent John Stanford, Gary's mentor. Mr. Tubbs has also been the principal of four other schools over the past 20 years. As he completes his 30th year in public education he is committed to "welcoming Spirit into America's schools".

For more information, feel free to contact Gary at gtubbs@seattleschools.org or visit the website for The New School at www.seattleschools.org/schools/southshore.  

IP Logged

Arthur Conan Doyle
Annette
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Australia 

Veni Vidi Velcro

Email

« Reply #12 on: Jan 5th, 2008, 6:33pm »

Recommended Reading  

The Personal Intelligences:  Promoting Social and Emotional Learning
by Launa Ellison
Corwin Press, 2001
ISBN: 0-7619-7691-4  

Welcome to Launa Ellison's classroom! A teacher of fifth and sixth grades in Minneapolis Public Schools, she has also been editor of The Consortium for Whole Brain Learning Newsletter since 1984. Her classroom is a warm, humane place with high expectations to learn. While focusing on reaching and often surpassing local and state standards, Ellison never loses focus on the whole child.  

She writes, "My intention is to convey symbolic messages that encourage self-awareness, choice and decision making, self-monitoring, and effective handling of relationships. Our morning meeting begins with a thought for the day, discussion, and sharing. At the end of the meeting I ask, " What are you going to start on today?"  There are many choices during each week's activities. The assignments are clear, but broad enough to accommodate the diversity of skill levels. . . . My goal is to get my students into their own purposeful, intrinsic learning. I want them to work on projects with depth of thought, not an eye to the clock. I want their brains turned on."  

In her book Ellison draws on solid research as well as her own experience to discuss how students can become responsible for their own success. She explains how she incorporates in her teaching brain research, learning styles, multiple intelligences, emotional understanding, and reflective thinking. She notes that respect for diversity is a must in a multicultural, multi-intelligence classroom. A great resource for teachers at all levels!  

Recommended Reading  

Raising an Emotionally Intelligent Child
by John Gottman
Simon and Schuster, 1997  
ISBN: 0684838656  

This is one of the most useful, research-based, and insightful books on parenting we have found. Gottman is a professor of psychology at the University of Washington, and author of Why Marriages Succeed or Fail. His extensive work with parents and children based on his deep understanding of the emotions offers a guide throughout the years of parenting. He suggests that "emotion coaching" is they key to raising emotionally intelligent children, and helps parents to understand their parenting style and how to make the most of it. Gottman's five key steps to emotion coaching include (1) becoming aware of the child's emotion, (2) recognizing the emotion as an opportunity for intimacy and teaching; (3) listening empathetically, validating the child's feelings; (4) helping the child find words to label the emotion he is having; and (5) setting limits while exploring strategies to solve the problem at hand. Gottman's book is filled with practical examples of how to deal with different kinds of challenges in healthy ways. In addition to discussing the role of mothers, it also includes discussion of the critical role that fathers play and the importance of a healthy marriage in creating the environment that can help children to develop their potential as fully as possible. This is also an extremely useful book for teachers in providing guidelines for dealing with complex interpersonal challenges they face every day. Also see Gottman's website at www.gottman.com.  
IP Logged

Arthur Conan Doyle
Annette
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Australia 

Veni Vidi Velcro

Email

« Reply #13 on: Jan 5th, 2008, 6:39pm »

This is more about the brain and brain development but it is very interesing.

News from the Neurosciences

Articles
Recommended Reading
Related links

How would it affect educational systems if everyone truly believed that the human brain could change structurally and functionally as a result of learning and experience--for better or worse? How would it affect how we teach and how students learn if everyone believed that the kinds of environments we create for learning, how we teach, and the learning strategies we offer students could result in better mental equipment they will use throughout life? In News from the Neurosciences, you will find articles that support the validity of this concept, as well as articles of current interest on various other aspects of brain research and its implications for education.  

Articles

12 Brain/Mind Learning Principles in Action – One Author's Personal Journey  Renate Caine
Education professor introduces her twelve organizing principles for how the brain/mind learns and how to use that information to enhance student learning.  

Brain Science and Education  Noboru Kobayshi
Director of Child Research Net discusses implications of brain research for education and reports on a recent conference on that topic in Japan.  

What is "The Art of Changing the Brain?"  James E. Zull  
The art of learning is the arrangement of the right conditions and challenges in ways that engage the learner, students have the chance to use their whole brain.  

Special Education and the Concept of Neurodiversity    Thomas Armstrong
A well known educator and author describes how new research on neurodiversity is very much in line with contemporary psychology's new approach to "positive psychology" and will be fundamental in changing the attitudes and outlook of people toward children in special education programs.

Response of the Brain to Enrichment    Marian Cleeves Diamond  
Although the brain possesses a relatively constant macrostructural organization, the ever-changing cerebral cortex, with its complex microarchitecture of unknown potential, is powerfully shaped by experiences before birth, during youth and, in fact, throughout life.  

The Significance of Enrichment    Marian Cleeves Diamond  
Diamond describes the physiological changes in the brain in response to differences in environment.  

Enrichment in Action    Marian Cleeves Diamond  
Dr. Diamond shares information about her work in Cambodia that further strengthens her case for providing an enriching environment to stimulate brain growth.  

What are the Determinants of Children's Academic Successes and Difficulties?    Marian Cleeves Diamond
How can parents and teachers provide conditions that will most effectively promote growth and change in our children's brains? How can parents help a child develop his or her full potential and set a pathway of lifelong learning? In this article, Marian Diamond, neuroanatomist describes ways in which parents and teachers should create a climate for enchanted minds to obtain information, stimulate imagination, develop an atmosphere to enhance motivation and creativity and experience the value of a work ethic.  

Male and Female Brains   Marian Cleeves Diamond  
Are there significant differences between the male and female brain?

Why Einstein's Brain?    Marian Cleeves Diamond  
The excitement of discovery is infectious -- Marian Diamond describes how she came to be interested in studying the ratio of glial cells to neurons in Einstein's brain back in the early 1980s.  

Successful Aging of the Healthy Brain    Marian Cleeves Diamond  
Dr. Diamond shows us how to keep our brains active and healthy throughout our lifetime.  

The Brain . . . Use It or Lose It    Marian Cleeves Diamond  
No matter what form enrichment takes, it is the challenge to the nerve cells that is important. Data indicate that passive observation is not enough; one must interact with the environment.  

My Search for Love and Wisdom in the Brain    Marian Cleeves Diamond  
The force of basic human needs for love and wisdom can be examined in the parts and functions of the human brain.? Changes in emotions and environment are integrated into the physical structure of the brain, linking love and wisdom to experience and perception.?  

Brains on Fire: The Multimodality of Gifted Thinkers    Brocke Eide and Fernette Eide  
Neuroscientists describe differences in brain physiology and function of gifted students.

Environment Shapes Auditory Processing     Navzer Engineer, Cherie Percaccio and Michael Kilgard
Brains of both animals and humans are 'plastic' throughout one's lifetime.

Optimizing Memory in the Adult Brain for Effectiveness in a Multitasking Society    Donalee Markus
The author is a psychologist who has worked for many years with Dr. Reuven Feuerstein in his pioneering "teaching intelligence" program. She describes new skills she has developed for improving memory in the adult and senior years.  

Questions to Neuroscientists from Educators    Dee Dickinson
Prepared for the Krasnough Institute, Johns Hopkins University.

Stimulating the Brain and Senses Through Art    Dee Dickinson and Linda Bellon-Fisher, et al
An interview with the founder and CEO of New Horizons for Learning by the Washington State Arts Commission.

The USA Junior Chess Olympics Research: Developing Memory and Verbal Reasoning    Robert Ferguson, Ed. D.
The author supplies statistics to show the brain building benefits of chess.  

Manufacturing Knowledge   Donalee Markus
The prominent psychology and creator of Design for Strong Minds discusses basic tools for thinking and learning.  

Teaching Study Skills with Brain Science    Timmi Jo Forbes, et al.  
The author uses neuroscience in the classroom so that special needs students can discover for themselves how they can learn.  

The Treasure at the Bottom of the Brain    Henrietta C. Leiner and Alan L. Leiner  
New tools have allowed researchers to learn more about brain function. The cerebellum, underestimated for centuries, now seems to be the complex "computer" that helps the brain function efficiently and effectively.  

Misunderstood Minds     Mel Levine
Struggling students are often misunderstood by the adult world. Dr. Levine created All Kinds of Minds to apply the latest neuro-developmental research to the understanding and management of differences in learning. The Institute provides families and teachers with a framework, a common language and tools to enable this large, needy and highly vulnerable segment of America's schoolchildren to become more successful learners.  

Embryological Development of the Human Brain    Arnold B. Scheibel, MD  
Dr. Scheibel tells the fascinating story of how the brain develops in human beings from conception to birth. He makes clear that this complex, rapidly developing process is affected continually by the environment in which it is taking place. What mothers eat, drink, and feel -- and the environments which they themselves experience--affect daily the neural development of their unborn child.  

An Interview With Robert Sylwester
Dee Dickinson interviews Dr. Robert Sylwester from the University of Oregon, one of the foremost synthesizers of brain research applied to education, on how he came to be interested in brain theory.  

The Downshifting Dilemma: A Commentary and Proposal    Robert Sylwester  
Recent cognitive neuroscience developments are altering our understanding of a variety of brain systems and processes. The widely used metaphor of downshifting doesn't adequately communicate current understandings of how students respond to stressful situations. The new terms reflexive and reflective better describe our dual response system and its more complex function.  

Unconscious Emotions, Conscious Feelings, and Curricular Challenges  Robert Sylwester  
Emotions and their role in the classroom are discussed.

Language Learning Impairment: Integrating Research and Remediation    Paula Tallal, Ph.D.  
A computer game program called Fast ForWord? has been shown to significantly improve the central auditory processing and speech and language skills of language learning impaired children. This novel remediation technique grew out of a collaboration between Dr. Paula Tallal and Dr. Michael Merzenich. Their research show that improvements are replicable and continue over time and are achieved in a relatively short, intensive program.  

Fidalgo School in Anacortes,Washington: A Success Story    Chris Borgen  
A description of a school curriculum based on recent brain research.  

Applying Our Knowledge    Dee Dickinson  
More on Fidalgo Elementary.  

Day One: A Positive Beginning for Parents and their Infants   Mary Ellen O'Keeffe, et al
Brain based baby care. Day One is a video, but this overview about the ways infants learn from the first moments after birth can be used as a resource in its own right.    

Recommended Reading

Bibliography

Brain-Based Learning and Research Bibliography   Steve Krasner

How People Learn: Brain, Mind, Experience, and School Committee on Developments in the Science of Learning John D. Bransford, Ann L. Brown, and Rodney R. Cocking, editors

Education on the Edge of Possibility   Renate Nummela Caine and Geoffrey Caine

MindShifts: A Brain-Compatible Process for Professional Development and the Renewal of Education    Geoffrey Caine, Renate Nummela Caine, and Sam Crowell

12 Brain/Mind Learning Principles in Action: The Fieldbook for Making Connections, Teaching, and the Human Brain  
Renate Nummela Caine, Geoffrey Caine, Carol McClintic, and Karl Klimek

Boys and Girls Learn Differently!: A Guide for Teachers and Parents
Michael Gurian, Patricia Henley, and Terry Trueman

Magic Trees of the Mind: How to Nurture Your Child's Intelligence, Creativity, and Healthy Emotions from Birth Through Adolescence    Marian Diamond and Janet L. Hopson

The Learners' Way: Brain-Based Learning in Action    Anne D. Forester and Margaret Reinhard

Begin With the Brain: Orchestrating the Learner-Centered Classroom    Martha Kaufeldt

Exceeding Expectations: A User's Guide to Implementing Brain Research in the Classroom    Susan J. Kovalik and Karen D. Olsen

A Celebration of Neurons: An Educator's Guide to the Human Brain    Robert Sylwester

A Biological Brain in a Cultural Classroom    Robert Sylwester

Brain Matters: Translating Research into Classroom Practice    Patricia Wolfe

The Minds Of Boys: Saving Our Sons From Falling Behind in School and Life   Michael Gurian and Kathy Stevens  

Related links

Learn About the Brain

Neuroscience for Kids
Created for students and teachers.  

Neuroscience Coloring Book  
Great for making diagrams, overhead projections, and just for finding out what things like the brain, Synapses and neurons look like.

Find Research on the Brain  

Mind/Brain Learning Principles    Renate Nummela Caine and Geoffrey Caine  
Renate and Geoffrey Caine outline twelve principles that must be considered in the design of any learning program.  

World Wide Web Resources on Brain-Based Learning and Research   from Steve Krasner  

Serendip  
Sponsored by Bryn Mawr College. Look under "Brain and Behavior" for articles, discussion questions and essays from a college course on Neurobiology and Behavior, and more. The website lives up to its name-- it is a serendipitous collection of interesting reading and links.  

Neuroanatomy and Neuropathology on the Internet
Collection of brain research resources, including interactive tutorials.  

The Brain Connection.com
How brain science can enhance learning.  

Go Inside the Human Brain  

Digital Anatomist Interactive Atlases: Interactive brain
Colorful, navigable images of the brain. Sponsored by the University of Washington.  

Inside the Brain: An Interactive Tour
Explains basic concepts about the brain and what happens to it in Alzheimer's disease. Viewers navigate at their own pace through 16 illustrated screens and follow colored text links that highlight key areas and special features of each illustration.  

The Virtual Hospital: The Human Brain
Detailed descriptions and photographs of the anatomy of the human brain and spinal cord sponsored by the University of Iowa.  

The Whole Brain Atlas  
The Harvard Medical School website shows cross sections of the human brain. Brain structures are labeled; site also contains movies of MRI images. More clinical than other websites, most interesting for older students.  

« Last Edit: Jan 26th, 2019, 11:17am by DJ » IP Logged

Arthur Conan Doyle
andrewjb
New Board Hall of Famer
England 

when the love of power becomes the power of love !

Email

« Reply #14 on: Jan 5th, 2008, 6:51pm »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7tNw9Max5Fo&feature=related      life is for liveing, i say. andrew.
IP Logged
DonnaH_again
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Old Timer
USA 

Polly auditioning for American Idol.

Email

« Reply #15 on: Jan 5th, 2008, 6:53pm »

The following are things that were emphasized during my education in Early Childhood Development at Case Western University in the early l970's:

It is known that ages birth through 6 years are the formative years.  

The young child goes through specific stages of mental development at specific ages, such as human bonding in infancy, separation anxiety at about 17 months, social development at age 4 years, empathy, etc.

These stages occur through age 6 years.  If one is not fulfilled or not in the manner presented at the beginning of this thread, there is not a second chance. It is lost.

How then can we work with the older child who is lacking in the development of any of the many stages of early childhood?  

This has been a great concern of mine for many years and if these teachings have been refined or revised, I would like to research it.

What about the anti-social child who went through a traumatic early childhood,  parents divorced, and then along comes a good marriage with a step parent who is a good Emotional Coach?

Thank you, Annette, for presenting this to us.  I hope this thread developes into a good discussion with further peer-reviewed information.  

IP Logged

Are YOU on the hidgic score board yet? It's not easy! www.hidgic.com

Been here since Aug., 1999
andrewjb
New Board Hall of Famer
England 

when the love of power becomes the power of love !

Email

« Reply #16 on: Jan 5th, 2008, 7:48pm »

Smiley, well, i may have been a bit hasty. andrew.   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o56JZ-k7ODo
IP Logged
Annette
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Australia 

Veni Vidi Velcro

Email

« Reply #17 on: Jan 5th, 2008, 8:06pm »

Donna, that is a very interesting and important point that you raised. Can a brain relearn new functions at a later stage in life? Can a person "emotionally damaged" early from childhood recover from the traumas and to what degree?  

New researches have shown that it is possible. It is difficult but possible. Brains can relearn new functions, even "damaged" ones, at a later stage in life. All is not lost.  

Researches into Alzheimers brains have found that organically, structurally damaged brains from Alzheimer actually "grow" new nerve cells and develop new connections between the different functioning centres when given the right stimuli. This leads to a reversal of some of the defiencies in the persons ability to function. MRIs and PET scans confirm these changes. This is very exciting as for a very long time, scientists believe that dead brain cells can not regenerate and that the brain does not have the capacity to grow new cells or develop new connections after certain traumas or ages.  

IP Logged

Arthur Conan Doyle
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss