Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 18th, 2024, 10:56pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « 02 Preventative? »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   Daily Chat
   General Posts
(Moderator: DJ)
   02 Preventative?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: 02 Preventative?  (Read 1711 times)
Kevin_M
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

withered branches grow green again.

Re: 02 Preventative?
« Reply #25 on: May 1st, 2008, 10:47pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

on May 1st, 2008, 7:50pm, Jonny wrote:
After a week of this...

Life in the unprevented lane, a very tough route.  Keep that seat belt on 'til you get to the appointment.  

You remind me of that soldier that left the patrol boat to pick mangos in "Apocalyse Now".  He comes face to face with a tiger then gets back to the boat muttering, never leave the boat, never leave the boat.

Never run out of verap, buddy.   Best to ya, hang in.
IP Logged
Annette
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Australia 

Veni Vidi Velcro

Email

« Reply #26 on: May 3rd, 2008, 7:33pm »

on May 1st, 2008, 2:21am, Batch wrote:
Jonny,

Here's my hypothesis...  Acidosis is a vasodilator and as such, makes us more susceptible to cluster headache attacks.  By raising the arterial bloodstream pH above neutral (pH =7.4) to say 7.6 to 7.8, we will experience a reduction in the frequency and intensity of our cluster headache attacks...  And, if we do have an attack with an elevated pH, the attack will be easy to abort with oxygen therapy or imitrex.

3.  Follow the suggested dietary guide in the acid-alkaline balance link above to raise your pH to at least 7.5 or a little higher at bedtime.  This will likely take a few days so don’t expect a big change in pH right away.  V/R, Batch  

Hi Pete,

Thank you for posting your hypothesis which is very interesting. However, I have a few questions to ask of you though.

1- Arterial pH of 7.6 or more is considered dangerous to health, at that level the person can be delirious, having muscular jerks or even seizures as well as increased risk of angina and possible coronary infarction. In hospital, patients with arterial pH of 7.6 or more are treated urgently with haemofiltration or haemodialysis.  

http://www.merck.com/mmpe/sec12/ch157/ch157d.html

2- Metabolic alkalosis with pH more than 7.44 can only be maintained long term ( more than 6 hours ) when the kidneys have been compromised, with impairment of HCO3 excretion, otherwise the body antidiuretic system will kick in and compensation will occur. On top of that, respiratory rate will automatically slow down to induce respiratory acidosis to neutralise the pH. You cant maintain a very high arterial pH naturally in a healthy body.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metabolic_alkalosis

3- In vivo and in vitro, experiment on rats and rabbits cerebral blood flow indicate that metabolic alkalosis needs to be at least at pH 7.5 to have any vasoconstricting effect. In fact, pH needs to be as high as 7.8 to achieve vasoconstriction of all the smooth muscle cells in the arterial wall. However, at this level the person would be severely ill. pH 8 or higher can cause death.  

http://ajpheart.physiology.org/cgi/content/full/283/6/H2169

4- Testing arterial pH level through saliva and urine test strips are not very accurate. Their accuracy level is between 0.2 and 0.5. Testing the urine will give you the urine pH, not arterial pH and therefore is often a lot more acidic. Testing saliva will give you the saliva pH, not arterial pH either. It is used only as an indication, there isnt a formula that you can use to convert these numbers to an arterial reading. To get accurate arterial pH level one has to do blood gas ie take blood from your artery and send it to the lab.

There are many factors that can affect the pH levels of urine or saliva, including renal function, physical activities, food, drinks and even food stuck in between your teeth and skin contamination. You have to read the value by looking at the colour change and depending on your eyesight and whether or not you may have colour blindness this can greatly affect what number you come up with.

[url] http://www.indigo.com/test-strips/gph-test-strips/ph-paper-5.5-8.html[/url]

Therefore I am not quite sure how we can implement/test your theory in practice?  

I would be grateful if you can help with further information.

Thanks and all the best wishes.  

IP Logged

Mediocrity knows nothing higher than itself; but talent instantly recognizes genius.
Arthur Conan Doyle
BMoneeTheMoneeMan
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

In remembrance of KingCazman. RIP

Email

« Reply #27 on: May 4th, 2008, 12:21am »

on May 1st, 2008, 9:22pm, Jonny wrote:

I dont think im cut out for this episodic shit!  

laugh

IP Logged

"Fool me once, shame on, shame on you. Fool - can't get fooled again"

Think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half the population is stupider than that.

Barry_T_Coles
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Australia 

http://mushys.com/kiwi  
WWW Email

« Reply #28 on: May 5th, 2008, 3:30am »

Sorry to hear your hurtin & I agree being chronic is much easier to handle.

Something that may be worth a try; on my last high cycle I found that if I took an Imigran tablet 50 mg (sumatriptan as succinate)while aborting the current hit with o2 I could get 6 -8 hours before I would get the next hit & would actually be able to get some sleep in between.
Anything is worth a try.

Cheers
Barry
« Last Edit: May 5th, 2008, 7:07am by Barry_T_Coles » IP Logged

Worry is like a rocking chair it gives you something to do but gets you nowhere.
http://mushys.com/kiwi

[img]
Sandy_C
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Burn that bra!

Email

« Reply #29 on: May 5th, 2008, 2:21pm »

Damn, Jonny!

I'm so sorry you are going thru this again.  

You were chronic for a lifetime, then had blessed months of pain free time.

My heart hurts for you.

I don't know what I can do to help you, but God as my witness, I will be looking.

Sandy

IP Logged

Lean on me when you're not strong
And I'll be your friend
I'll help you carry on
For it won't be long
Till I'm gonna need
Somebody to lean on
andrewjb
New Board Hall of Famer
England 

when the love of power becomes the power of love !

Email

« Reply #30 on: May 5th, 2008, 6:05pm »

hope it passes soon. breath deep, stay hydrated and eat fish. andrew.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss