Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 2nd, 2024, 2:55pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « How vulnerable we are..... »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   Daily Chat
   General Posts
(Moderator: DJ)
   How vulnerable we are.....
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: How vulnerable we are.....  (Read 2049 times)
Lizzie2
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

"L'Chaim"~Hebre w Toast~"To Life"

Lizzie52004  
Email

Re: How vulnerable we are.....
« Reply #25 on: May 18th, 2008, 11:22pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Tony - that last comment there was hilarious!  I'm glad you're too shy to poop in the garden.

Nani and Donna - Thing with pills is that if you're taking a generic and multiple companies make generics of the same drug, then each time you get the script filled, the pills might look different.  Sometimes the pharmacy will place a label on the bottle that says "This may not look like the medication you have been taking", but they don't always do that.  I have a couple of different meds that the generics get switched up every time I go and get them filled at the same pharmacy.  

In the hospital, nurses should always go over the meds they are giving their patients.  Many times when this happens, they might say a different generic name (some drugs have a variety of different names and one patient might know their drug by one thing but the hospital calls it another) or the pill doesn't look like the one the patient is taking at home.  It is most important that when a patient brings up a concern that this isn't the med they are supposed to be taking, that the nurse take this seriously and check with the pharmacy and physician to be sure it really is the correct med.  I know one time I was brought in a med and not told what it was - when I asked, I learned that it was a med that could cause a fatal interaction with other drugs I was taking.  The nurse was in training and kept arguing with me that this was what the doctor ordered, so I had to take it.  Finally I explained to her that if she wanted me to take it, then she had best go get a crash cart on standby since it would be very likely that I could die from the drug interaction.  She finally backed down, and I called her preceptor in to discuss it with her quietly - didn't want to get the girl in trouble, but it was important that she learn that when a patient questions a med, you take it seriously and go check it out.

Anyway, I digress.  All I really wanted to say was that sometimes it's impossible to know if your med is different since you may have been given a different generic - obviously this could have been realistic as Donna's med was made by one company and not the one with the problem.  I always appreciate it when the pharmacy puts the sticker about the med not looking the same on my bottles, but I can certainly attest that they do not always do that.

Hugz,
Carrie Smiley
IP Logged

monty
New Board Veteran
USA 

Re: How vulnerable we are.....
« Reply #26 on: May 20th, 2008, 11:13am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

The boys in Brazil grow a lot of citrus, but they mostly export frozen orange juice concentrate, a little fresh fruit out of season.  Only about 3% of citrus eaten in the US is imported - when I was a kid, the fancy oranges came from Spain or Israel.  

The company's quality control problem and subsequent remedy (or lack there of) is proof that there aren't enough lawsuits.
IP Logged

The outer boundary of what we currently believe is feasible is far short of what we actually must do.
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss