Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 5th, 2024, 10:39pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « How Do You Sleep? »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   Daily Chat
   General Posts
(Moderator: DJ)
   How Do You Sleep?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: How Do You Sleep?  (Read 1197 times)
Transamdoug
New Board Newbie
USA 

Shout at the devil!

bonardidoug  
Email

How Do You Sleep?
« on: May 15th, 2008, 12:52am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hi all, new here and wondering if I am different or is this common...I can't lay down! Been in cycle 3 months now and haven't seen a bed in that time. If I lay down I'm up within an hour with at least a 7k and not going away anytime soon. I can't even do the recliner as it is too close to horizontal as well. I prop a pillow behind the small of my back and the armrest of the couch so I'm sitting up, put my legs out across the cushions and use 2 pillows on the back of the sofa to support my head in a somewhat upright position. In this way I can get a few hours rest before I have to get up to pee from all the damn water! Then I switch sides of the couch so my back and neck don't get twisted the same way too long. Anyone else the same? Have you found anything comfortable? Sharing your pain and success..Doug
« Last Edit: May 15th, 2008, 9:34am by Transamdoug » IP Logged

Sharing in pain and success...Doug
George_J
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

White-Breasted Nuthatch

Email

Re: How Do You Sleep?
« Reply #1 on: May 15th, 2008, 1:44am »

Yeah, been through all that.

I just gave up and laid down anyway.  But I'm episodic (6 to 8 weeks each time) and it's do-able.  Sooner or later the damn thing ends.

Some folks here have found it helpful to sleep semi-upright in a recliner or propped up in bed.  Never made much difference to me, but YMMV.  

Best,

George

IP Logged

Ah! The foreigners put on such airs
Wearing the tangerine suits
And their harlequin eyes.
The pain they inspire
Draws in harmonica melodies
And the feathers of birds
Which flame up at their touch.
It all comes to light in the sheer
Debonair.
(Ellen)
ClusterChuck
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

The BEAST rises again, and again, and again, and .

Email

« Reply #2 on: May 15th, 2008, 2:55am »

(I can't help myself ...)

How do I sleep?

Usually (but not always) with my eyes closed.   Grin   Wink

In actuality, when I am getting nailed bad, I usually sleep on the floor.  I don't seem to go into as deep a sleep, as when I try the bed route.  I have tried the recliner, and sitting up.  They are all about the same as sleeping on the floor.  The bed is the big no-no!

I sometimes go months without touching my bed.

Good luck!  And welcome to the insane asylum family!

Chuck
IP Logged

"No man can be happy without a friend, nor be sure of his friend till he is unhappy."
Thomas Fuller
Tara Ann
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

It's always darkest before the dawn.

tara_ann_77  
WWW Email

« Reply #3 on: May 15th, 2008, 6:11am »

Sleep....what's that?  JK  I also suggest the upright thing.  Recliners are a saviour when things get really bad, yes it isn't much restful sleep, but it's better than none.

Welcome!
IP Logged

http://www.myspace.com/taraann77
Transamdoug
New Board Newbie
USA 

Shout at the devil!

bonardidoug  
Email

« Reply #4 on: May 15th, 2008, 4:29pm »

Thanks Chuck! Big help! How about things you do or take to sleep better or longer? Read Melatonin helps and picked up some of that, anything else work?
IP Logged

aprilbee
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Ain't I a stinkah!!

« Reply #5 on: May 15th, 2008, 5:28pm »

on May 15th, 2008, 2:55am, ClusterChuck wrote:

In actuality, when I am getting nailed bad, I usually sleep on the floor.  I don't seem to go into as deep a sleep, as when I try the bed route.  Chuck

I do something similary, I find that I sleep better laying down in the shower than in my bed when I'm getting hit a lot, I have the hot shower on me and my ice pack on a towel and lay down and I actually sleep much better, of course my water bill is outrageous, but its worth it!

Hope you find some relief soon!
IP Logged
purpleydog
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #6 on: May 15th, 2008, 5:50pm »

Can you sleep upright in the recliner, with your foot rest up? I sleep in mine, with a small pillow in the small of my back, and a small one behind my neck. Or one of those pillows that kind of wraps around your neck works too. Keeps the kinks out, and is comfortable for me. I recline just a bit, not all the way.

Have you tried melatonin? It helps some people get through the night hits, allowing you to sleep better.
IP Logged

Annette
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Australia 

Veni Vidi Velcro

Email

« Reply #7 on: May 15th, 2008, 6:18pm »

Its those REM sleeps you have problems with. As soon as you fall asleep the REM starts within 1 hr and you get hit. The problem is the more sleep deprived you are, the more REMs you will get as the body tries to catch up.

Do take melatonin at night as it improves your deeper sleep stages and reduces the frequency of REM. It may work straight away or it may take a few days but it will help for sure. Try to go to bed the same time each night and wake up early so that you have a more regular sleep cycle. Avoid sugar close to bed time as they raise serotonin level too quickly but has a glass of warm milk and a banana instead.  

When you wake up in the morning, go sit in the sunlight for 30 mins without sunglasses ( do this around 8 am -9 am is best ) to train your pineal gland to regulate serotonin/melatonin level. Dont go to bed later than 11 pm.

If you are tired and need to nap during a day, sit up and close your eyes, relax the body and slow your breathing. Do so for 15-20 mins stretch. Repeat every 2 hrs or so until you feel better. This way you wont fall asleep deeply enough to invite those REM so you can avoid the hits but at least your brain will get some rest and you wont be as tired. Learn to meditate if you can, that helps too.

You also posted asking about craving sugar: thats a sign that your serotonin is really low. However, sweet sugary stuff will only artificially raise the serotonin but  raises it too quickly then it drops sharply again. This may cause your shadows. Make sure you eat a healthy diet with meat, eggs, fresh veges and fresh fruits especially bananas and go more for complex carbohydrates like whole grain breads and milk. That way you build up your serotonin level slowly and be able to maintain it.  

Take care, good luck and painfree wishes to you.

Have you got oxygen ?

IP Logged

Mediocrity knows nothing higher than itself; but talent instantly recognizes genius.
Arthur Conan Doyle
Charlie
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Happy to be here

135447360 135447360   mondocharlie   mondocharlie
Email

« Reply #8 on: May 15th, 2008, 10:08pm »

I understand all of this........even you Chucky...

I got so used to a recliner that I sleep half the night in mine listening to crap on TV or my cassettes, etc. When getting hit, I just bounced around until daylight and got more sleep then. Beats me why.

Charlie
IP Logged

There is nothing more satisfying than being shot at without result---Winston Churchill
Brew
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Low Four!

« Reply #9 on: May 15th, 2008, 10:20pm »

Like this:

IP Logged

Always remember that you're unique, just like everyone else.
Transamdoug
New Board Newbie
USA 

Shout at the devil!

bonardidoug  
Email

« Reply #10 on: May 15th, 2008, 11:34pm »

Thanks Annette and everyone, this is really good stuff I need to know...
IP Logged

starlight
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #11 on: May 16th, 2008, 9:43am »

Don't forget exercise--last thing you might feel like doing in cycle but if you run around the block a few times during the day the faster the better you might get a better night's sleep--it is the last thing you feel like doing if you're sleep deprived I know but anything to beat the beast I say.
IP Logged
Transamdoug
New Board Newbie
USA 

Shout at the devil!

bonardidoug  
Email

« Reply #12 on: May 16th, 2008, 12:31pm »

Thanks Star, bought an execise bike at a Goodwill for cheap yesterday and trying that too...the more natural the cure or preventative the better I believe
IP Logged

Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss