Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 2nd, 2024, 4:17pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Tony? »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   Daily Chat
   General Posts
(Moderator: DJ)
   Tony?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Tony?  (Read 756 times)
DonnaH_again
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Old Timer
USA 

Polly auditioning for American Idol.

Email

Tony?
« on: May 15th, 2008, 6:11pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

When are you going to have the pacemaker placed?
IP Logged

Are YOU on the hidgic score board yet? It's not easy! www.hidgic.com

Been here since Aug., 1999
artonio7
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Home since 11/18/06

artonio9  

Re: Tony?
« Reply #1 on: May 15th, 2008, 7:25pm »

I get to have the pace maker implanted Wednesday May 21st at 6:00 am EST... Can anyone splain to me why in the name of everything holy they would schedule surgery for 6:00 am?  

Will the surgeon even be awake by then? What if he hasn't had his coffee..? What if he's had too much coffee? What if the coffee kicks in in the middle of surgery and he has to have his "Morning Constitutional"?

At any rate... I'm planning on having a pre pacemaker party in chat the evening before... you may wear your magnetic hats... but not on thursday.

Donna... did your skin itch after you had yours implanted? Were you able to lay on your left side? What is a sure fired way to have the leads dislodge from the heart/ pace maker.... what are the chances of them poking through my heart during or after surgery?

Can I have a tatoo inked over the unit once it's all healed... (I'm thinkiing of a drawing of the actual pace maker with a ribbon wrapped around it with the words "Don't Taze me Bro"  Grin

any other Ideas are welcome.

with warm regards,
Tony
IP Logged

Hope! http://artonio7.com
CH Pain Calendar Free Download
For artwork
barry_sword
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Canada 

Mountain Biking Keeps Me Sane

WWW Email

« Reply #2 on: May 15th, 2008, 7:37pm »

Tony, relax, they do it early for that you have nothing in you such as food or coffee and gives you recovery time before going home.  

Plus the Doc's get to meet for a round of golf afterwards on you. laugh  

All will be better on the 21st my friend! Wink

Barry hug Be safe!
IP Logged

QUIT SMOKING SEPT. 03 2005,

http://barrysword.blogspot.com

DonnaH_again
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Old Timer
USA 

Email

« Reply #3 on: May 15th, 2008, 11:23pm »

I had forgotten about the itching.  Yes it itches like crazy when the incision starts healing and lasts on and off for about 6 months.  The intensity diminished rapidly until it itched only once in awhile and then by the 6th month, it was very seldom.

I was able to lay on my left side but kind of on an angle because it felt like I was pushing the box out of position.  I still feel it now, but to a much lesser degree.

It takes (they told me) about six weeks for the lead wires to become secure (scar tissue builds up and anchors them in place), so you should not raise your hands above your head or do anything that might pull them out of position.  It sounds worse than it actually is because you will be aware of stretching for fear of pulling them lose. It probably takes quite a stretch to move them, but they just want you to be cautious and not be batting balls around or playing basketball or golf.  Smiley

I have never heard of the lead wires poking holes in the heart.  I can't see how that would be physically possible.

I had an echo done two weeks ago (not because of the pacemaker) and could actually see the wires.  It was facinating....but then, I am very interested in the workings of the heart.

When you first come home, you will probably have your arm in a sling for the first week and should wear it all of the time..even to bed.  I personally believe that that is the time frame for extreme caution. Don't lift anything heavy.  

Your doc will tell you what your restrictions are.

My reason for having a pacer is due to a slow, controlled atrial fib.  I felt it very often and it was very distressful.  Since I've had the pacemaker, I have felt it just a few times and it didn't last but a minute as the pacemaker took over.  Before the pacemaker, when my a-fib switched back to sinus rythm, I would have longer and longer pauses until I was nearly fainting.  I love my St. Jude pacemaker.  I feel very safe now after many years of fear.

I hope this info is helpful.

Hugs,
Donna  

Added:

Do not go near magnets!  Household Microwaves are safe.  Hold your cell phone at least 6 inches from your pacer box.  Do not get under the hood of your car with the engine running.  There are a few more, but I don't remember what they are.
« Last Edit: May 15th, 2008, 11:29pm by DonnaH_again » IP Logged

jimmers
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Hello GOD! The gene pool needs some chlorine!

« Reply #4 on: May 16th, 2008, 9:46am »

Best of luck and health with your procedure Tony!

Is there a possibility this may help with the CH's? just curious.

Jim
IP Logged

I don't suffer from INSANITY; I'm enjoying every minute of it!
Lizzie2
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

"L'Chaim"~Hebre w Toast~"To Life"

Lizzie52004  
Email

« Reply #5 on: May 16th, 2008, 11:42am »

Hi Tony!

First off, best of luck on your procedure!  I will try to remember to be in the pre-procedure-party chat the night before!  I second your outrage over early in the morning surgeries, but in the end I think it is for the best!  The other day before my surgery they first told me it would be at 10:00am that I had to be there, and then they called me back a half hour later and said they rearranged the schedule, and that I was his first case now, and I had to be there at 5:30am!!  It ended up not mattering a whole lot because I didn't sleep that much the night before anyway!  The best parts about an early morning surgery is that they are running on time, the surgeons are all morning people so they are fresh-minded without being tired out by other long procedures, and you can take as much time as you need to get ready to go home because short-term procedure is open all day and they won't be kicking you out at closing time if you've had a later surgery.  (Not that they kick you out if you're not ready to go - then, they just admit people if it's getting too late and they aren't ready to go home!)

I know I didn't have a pacer put in, but I did just have a device put in with leads that can migrate and restrictions and so on.  I have just started to feel itching at my various 5 incision sites - actually the site where they put the battery pack/stimulator is the least-itchy so far, but I'm sure this isn't the last of this!  After my surgery, at first I thought it would feel best to sleep on the non-surgical side of my body so that I wasn't pressing on the surgical site, but in the end that left that side stretched out a bit and uncomfortable.  I know mine is put in the abdomen, and it's a different story if you have it in the chest, but I definitely felt better at first sleeping on the side they put it in.

I've also been told it takes 6-8 weeks for the leads to fully adhere to the tissues and then the risk of migration is less.  I'm a neonatal nurse, so I really have to stay out for a good 6 weeks because I have all kinds of lifting, twisting, turning, pushing going on at work, and they want none of that after this kind of surgery.  I was told that I cannot lift anything over 5 lbs for 6-8 weeks after the surgery.  Remember, leads can not only migrate, but they can also snap under extreme stress - and while this is rare, it's a good incentive to follow the restrictions!

What company are you going with?  Medtronic?  St. Jude?  Another company?  All these devices are made by the same companies, and both medtronic and St. Jude (a division of St. Jude, actually,  called ANS) make the stimulators as well.  I see Donna has a St. Jude  pacer - I have an ANS stim, which is the St. Jude division.  I've been really happy with their customer service and the rep I've been working with.

What hospital in Pittsburgh are you having it done at, if you don't mind my asking?  My brother went to school at Pitt, and I went to Governor's School for Health Care for 5 weeks at Pitt between my junior and senior years of high school.  Whilst that's awhile back now, I still remember the area pretty well!  I may be remembering in correctly - thought you said you were having it placed in Pittsburgh!

Best of luck with it!  I'm sure you're going to be feeling so much better after it's placed!  And it's so much fun being bionic....seriously!   Tongue  I'm telling you - those of us who can no longer get MRIs or go through airport security are going to form a little club. Wink

Hugz,
Carrie Smiley
IP Logged

artonio7
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Home since 11/18/06

artonio9  

« Reply #6 on: May 16th, 2008, 1:33pm »

Thanks all for your support and encouragement.

Donna Bless your heart...... Thanks for answering some of my questions and easing my mind.
It's good to know that the device is helping you after all these years and that you survived the procedure.
Oh ....One of the other things I can think of avoiding is a stun gun or a taser. Smiley

Carrie... Thanks!!!! Oddly enough, last week my brother went into the Pittsburgh VA Hospital to have the same device implanted that you have albeit for different reasons... His was for chronic back pain from injuries he sustained while in the military. They left the unit leads in for two days before removing it prior to implanting the unit under his skin. He's had a total of 3 different back surgeries thus far and swears that this surgery was by far the most excruciating.  

He actually was Cut in the same place within two days. OUCH!!!! The poor guy is only 64 years old and is in the beginning stages of Alzheimers. Working with the original unit that they leave outside of the body prior to permanent implant was a bit confusing for him. It was also very difficult for him to discern between the constant permanent pain and the pain caused by the surgery... so... the doctor decided it was best to remove the device,

I'm just a bit more than pissed off that he went through the procedure at all... the anesthesia is not helping his condition any... in fact I think it's made him a little worse. Alzheimers is a horrible thing Sad

Here is the device that I will receive http://www.bostonscientific.com/Device.bsci?page=HCP_Overview&navRel Id=1000.1003&method=DevDetailHCP&id=10067341&pageDisclaimer=Disclaimer.ProductPage it's made by Boston Scientific.

I will Be having the procedure at Allegheny General Hospital by a Doctor Bonnett or one of his associates.

I'm a bit disappointed that I'll be in lala land while they're doing the procedure... I'm always absolutely fascinated with stuff like this and would love to watch. My one concern now is getting a hit during the process. that would suck major. Well, that and bursting into flames during surgery.

any hoo... hope to see you at the pre-pace party.

with warm regards,
Tony
IP Logged

For artwork
DonnaH_again
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Old Timer
USA 

Email

« Reply #7 on: May 16th, 2008, 4:18pm »

Tony, I told my doc that the normal amount of Versed would be too much for me as I am very sensitive to this type of med, so they gave me a smaller dose.

I do remember the converstions that took place, but not much was said about the surgery as they did the proceedure.  I guess it's so routine that they don't even have to say much about it as they do it.

My St. Jude was implanted one year ago this past April.  

Added:  Even with the lesser dose, I did not feel any pain.
« Last Edit: May 16th, 2008, 4:19pm by DonnaH_again » IP Logged

KJ
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Old Timer
USA 

Email

« Reply #8 on: May 16th, 2008, 4:25pm »

Good Luck Tony! Smiley

And congrats on your 2000th post, ya windy bastard Wink

IP Logged
Lizzie2
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

"L'Chaim"~Hebre w Toast~"To Life"

Lizzie52004  
Email

« Reply #9 on: May 17th, 2008, 3:10pm »

Hi Tony,

You're very welcome. Smiley  I'm sorry to hear about your brother.  Anesthesia can definitely worsen alzheimers/dementia and just confusion in general for those who are prone to it.  I have tried to keep my grandmother, who is very prone to getting confused easily, away from anesthesia and the like as much as possible but a few weeks ago she had to have some GI studies and they gave her versed.  Well she was wacked out of it for days - it took a really long time before she was back to "normal".  It really sucks...

That's so crazy about the stim for him, and I'm sorry to hear it went like that!  I did the trial (the part where the leads are under the skin but the battery and stimulator are all external) back in January for a week.  (Originally was supposed to be 5 days, but I kept it through the weekend so that I had it for a week.)  At first, I had a real problem telling if the stimulator was working because of the post-op pain and needing to take extra medication for that.  It was very frustrating.  Then I tried to go without medicating because I didn't want my migraines to be falsely benefitted and masked, but the post-op pain was pretty bad!  I cannot imagine having had the trial and then moved directly to the permanent procedure.

My doctor said he was going to wait at least 4 weeks between the trial and the permanent procedure but because we were waiting for this new battery to come out (which we ended up giving up on because it won't be out until at least August at the earliest), we ended up having 4 months between trial and permanent surgery.  One of the contraindications for stimulator placement is if the person isn't really able to work the stimulator programming device!  So really they shouldn't have put him through all that to begin with!  Cutting him open so soon, he was already confused by the device, and so on...  That's really a shame... Sad

It definitely isn't an easy surgery, and I would say that's mainly because it is 5 different incisions for the surgery I had done.  The most painful is really where they put the battery pack in the abdomen.  The first day, it really hurt quite a lot, but then after that it got better.  Yesterday I was actually in a pretty significant amount of pain again, and the weather was horrid here, which I think didn't help.  Today it's a little better.  My mom helped me get a bath and we changed 3 of the dressings.  We even used this old spray shampoo stuff that doesn't require water to try to clean up my hair a bit - it was interesting!  haha

The worst part right now is that there is this little bump on my forehead and you can feel something in the bump.  I don't know if the forehead lead has turned a little or what, but the company rep said you shouldn't be able to see anything.  We're going to have to talk to the doctor, but I hope they don't have to go back in to fix it!  I would guess then I'd need even more time out of work because if they manipulate the lead, then it would have to set all over again.  I really don't want to have this little bump on my forehead though, either, as it isn't bad but is noticeable!

Anyway - sorry to ramble on.  I'll definitely try to be at the pre-pacer party!  I bet you can't wait to get this and get on with it!  I know I would have liked to have seen my surgery, but was definitely out under general anesthesia.  In nursing school, I actually got to see them implant it in someone's back, which was pretty neat.  Never saw a pacer placed, but I did take care of patients who got them, and they felt so much better afterwards!  Once it got close to my surgery, I just wanted to get it already!  Plus I do have some cool new electronics to play with now that it's in!  haha

Take care,
Carrie Smiley
IP Logged

eddie
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

PFDAN TO ALL

« Reply #10 on: May 18th, 2008, 5:48pm »

Tony it looks as if Donna answered  your questions

this Tuesday will be 8 weeks for me getting mine

i am still not use to it, i just hope mine dont zap me
anytime soon  

i wish you all the best my friend

eddie   Shocked
IP Logged

PFDAN TO ALL>><< http://www.putfile.com/ededearl>>><music> http://www.myspace.com/pamneddie
DonnaH_again
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Old Timer
USA 

Email

« Reply #11 on: May 18th, 2008, 5:54pm »

Eddie.....do you have a defibrillator?  Tony's doesn't zap.

I hope yours stays quiet for you.  

Donna
IP Logged

artonio7
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Home since 11/18/06

artonio9  

« Reply #12 on: May 18th, 2008, 7:26pm »

Eddie... you got a zapper!!!???? I want a zapper.  

Seriously Eddie... how is it that you are not getting used to it? Does it feel weird under the skin...? Has your energy levels improved since the implant? How are you feeling in general?

with warm regards,
Tony
IP Logged

For artwork
Annette
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Australia 

Veni Vidi Velcro

Email

« Reply #13 on: May 18th, 2008, 7:41pm »

Hugs, prayers, lots of love and vibes to my dear brother Artonio  Kiss
IP Logged

Mediocrity knows nothing higher than itself; but talent instantly recognizes genius.
Arthur Conan Doyle
eddie
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

PFDAN TO ALL

« Reply #14 on: May 19th, 2008, 12:21am »

I was diagnosed with cardiomyopathy  
I have been implanted with a defibrillator/pace maker its called a CRT-D.  
mine is a three wire device. one wire goes
through my heart in a small hole. i have some anxiety from
all this and i had arthritis in my shoulder and elbow already  
so that is a tough thing for me right now.

Cardiac Resynchronization Therapy

http://www.sjm.com/procedures/procedureindex.aspx

What is a CRT-D device?
A CRT-D device is an ICD enabled with Cardiac Resynchronization Therapy (CRT). This device is implanted into a patient as part of a system that includes leads. Leads are specialized, thin, insulated wires that attach to the CRT-D device and deliver the therapy to the patient’s heart. CRT-D devices may also be referred to in physician operative notes by one of the following terms:

* Bi-Ventricular Pacemaker with Defibrillator
    * Bi-V pacing with defibrillation
    * Bi-V ICD
    * High-power CRT
    * Heart failure pacemaker with defibrillator
    * Heart failure pacemaker with ICD

i have just been trying to get over the surgery and i have not  
been sleeping that good, also i have had some shadows
to my ch side of my head but that could be my meds.
i have notice improvements in my stamina. little bit at a  
time my friend. mine is also a st jude's implant.
i am also on a low sodium diet. the incision site is  
still a little tender. i will post pics to show you
how it looks now, the bruising was gone after 6weeks.
now it looks funny to me, just cause  

after 3 weeks

after 6 weeks

good luck to you my friend  

eddie

IP Logged

PFDAN TO ALL>><< http://www.putfile.com/ededearl>>><music> http://www.myspace.com/pamneddie
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss