Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 2nd, 2024, 2:14pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « What HAPPENED? »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   Daily Chat
   General Posts
(Moderator: DJ)
   What HAPPENED?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: What HAPPENED?  (Read 1147 times)
ClusterChuck
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

The BEAST rises again, and again, and again, and .

Email

What HAPPENED?
« on: May 17th, 2008, 10:14am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

What ever happened to doing an honest day’s work, for an honest day’s salary?  Have we gotten so bloated, with a relatively easy life, that people are unaccustomed to performing actual WORK?

I have been trying for the past nine months, or so, to hire a crew of people that I can depend on.  So far, I have only gotten one guy, and he is ALMOST as old as I am!  The other four I want, to round out my crew, are worthless.  I keep hiring, but then have to fire, and I HATE to fire people, even if they are complete idiots!

These guys get a company vehicle, we supply their tools, there is PLENTY of overtime available, and we pay a decent wage.  When we are out on the road, and I am with them, I usually supply all their meals.

All I ask is that they work, follow instructions, and then be PROUD of what they have built.  Is that too much to ask?  I don’t think I am a tyrant; all I ask is that you do what I tell you to do, the way I tell you too.  If you have an idea of a better way, or different way of doing it, then talk to me about it.  I am the first to admit I don’t know everything.  Maybe some one can come up with a better way.  But, ASK me first!  I may have a reason why I am having the work done my way.  It drives me nuts when I walk in and find my instructions were ignored!

And whatever happened to the concept of showing up (at least to CLOSE to on time) every day for work?

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr !! !! !! !!

I guess I will have to quit being such an not a very nice person.

Sorry I just had to get that off my chest before I commit murder!  (But hopefully, I can plead “justifiable homicide”!)

Any one know a good bail bondsman?

Chuck
IP Logged

"No man can be happy without a friend, nor be sure of his friend till he is unhappy."
Thomas Fuller
midwestbeth
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

Re: What HAPPENED?
« Reply #1 on: May 17th, 2008, 10:25am »

I completely understand your frustration Chuck!!!

16 years in business and I can count on one hand the number of employees that understood the concept of showing up on time (if at all) and putting in a days work for the money they were being paid.

Beth
IP Logged

Do more than exist - live
Do more than touch - feel
Do more than look - observe
Do more than read - absorb
Do more than hear - listen
Do more than listen - understand
~ John Rhodes
BarbaraD
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Hugs to ya

Email

« Reply #2 on: May 17th, 2008, 10:45am »

OVERTIME!! What the hell are you thinking??? You expect someone to work OVERTIME!! Don't you know they might have OTHER plans?  Lips Sealed

I'm with you Chuck... I don't know what's happened to work ethics. Everyone seems to want a paycheck but don't want to earn it and don't give a damn how the work they actually do comes out.  

Heck, when I was a kid I worked at JC Penney's and if I'd acted like some of these "cashier's" do at Walmart's today - I'd have been fired on the spot. But we were there to "help" the customer and the "customer" was always "right" - regardless if they were an a-hole. We weren't even on commission, but we competed to see who could sell the most... it was a "pride" thing. And we "learned" to deal with people.  

Since I've been grown, I've mostly had my own business and I have no qualms about firing people who don't perform to my standards. I sign the paychecks and as long as I'm paying - we're playing MY way.  

One little girl who worked for me from the time she got out of high school until I closed my office came to visit me a few weeks ago and actually "thanked" me for being such a "B". She went to work for a company that "insisted" on things being done "correctly". She said if I hadn't insisted on business letters being done "right" she'd never have known what they were talking about and she'd probably have been fired the first day. But she was one of the few who actually "learned".  

I don't know what to tell you. I'm just glad I don't have to deal with employees any more. I seem to get more done with less hassel just doing it myself.  

Hugs BD
IP Logged

What don't kill ya, Makes ya stonger!

BMoneeTheMoneeMan
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

In remembrance of KingCazman. RIP

Email

« Reply #3 on: May 17th, 2008, 11:12am »

I hear that Chuck.  I HATE employees......and just about every business owner I audit says the same thing.

Its like people want you to pay them money to do what they feel like doing, not what needs to be done.  

and proud of your work.............man, you are being an a$$hole to expect that!
IP Logged

"Fool me once, shame on, shame on you. Fool - can't get fooled again"

Think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half the population is stupider than that.

Paul98
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

What, it's all in my head?

« Reply #4 on: May 17th, 2008, 11:25am »

I agree with you Chuck!

When I ran the lab it was a nightmare to try and find people that would work, show up on time or show up at all.  Work is a joke for a lot of people!  Just the interviews were a wake up.  Who the heck shows up LATE for a job interview?  80% did!  These were college students.

I really feel that life has just gotten to easy.  Food is always on the plate, never worry about sewing a shirt or pants because you just buy new.  

During the deperssion people did not know where their next meal was coming from and even prior to that period.  You didn't work....you starved.  Not any more.  95% of Americian society dosn't know what it is like to go for days without food.  Compare today with 1940.  Look at the houses people lived in, look at posessions then and now.  Even the poorest have TV, AC, computers......  The TV program the Honey Mooners with Jacki Gleason was a very good example of how lower middle class lived and what they had back then.  

I learned quick when I hired folks that if they were not to the second or early for an interview, I just told them they are late and go look some place else.  Oh the pissing and whining I got!  I was only 10 min late  Bla bla bla.    

Life is to easy and the true experience of hardship has been lost for 50 years for most.  I got lucky and learned quick what going without food for days was like.  To this day I will clean toilets for $ to eat.  Thankfully I can do better.

-P.
IP Logged

http://www.myspace.com/pjl98
M.R.
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Old Timer
USA 

kasper4157
Email

« Reply #5 on: May 17th, 2008, 11:25am »

There is no such thing as personal resposibility any more. If something goes wrong, or if life just sucks in general, it must be some one elses fault. That means I can sue. Some one needs to wipe my ass for me now!

Mike
IP Logged

Calling an illegal alien an undocumented immigrant is like calling a drug dealer a unlicensed pharmacist..
LeLimey
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Great_Britain 

OUCH-US - Less "ME" and more "WE"

lelimey  
WWW Email

« Reply #6 on: May 17th, 2008, 11:40am »

on May 17th, 2008, 11:25am, M.R. wrote:
   There is no such thing as personal resposibility any more. If something goes wrong, or if life just sucks in general, it must be some one elses fault. That means I can sue. Some one needs to wipe my ass for me now!

And thereby lies the problem.

Too many parents have made too many excuses for their kids for too long. Instead of chastising they come up with a pile of crap reasons as to why their kids are "misunderstood" so the little darlings expect excuses to be made for them their whole lives long.
IP Logged

The arsehole I'm divorcing needs to get a life and stop stalking mine

Brew
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Low Four!

« Reply #7 on: May 17th, 2008, 11:46am »

It's the one and only reason I said no to management some 20 years ago. I cannot fathom being responsible for someone else's performance.

The number of people who report to me is zero, and I like it that way.
IP Logged

Always remember that you're unique, just like everyone else.
Langa
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

So many donuts, such little time...

« Reply #8 on: May 17th, 2008, 12:18pm »

Pride in your work??? = Things done half-assed in my opinion.  I'm so glad I am not in management anymore.  

Langa
IP Logged

When you saw only one set of footprints, it was then that I carried you.
nani
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Got kudzu?

« Reply #9 on: May 17th, 2008, 1:02pm »

I've been in and out of management positions for the last 30 years.
Frankly, I haven't found this to be the case. I'd have to say that 98% of the people I managed were great employees.

I only had to fire someone for performance once. The rest of the time, peer pressure either got the person on track or gave them a reason to leave on their own.

IP Logged

Others may come and go, but MY power is MINE.
Cathi_Pierce
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Veteran
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #10 on: May 17th, 2008, 1:31pm »

Chuck, you big bully! You're the boss, you get to sit on your ever-expanding arse and bully those poor guys around, making them slave for lesss than a millionaires salary, and you want them to put in OVERTIME???? ShockedYou is the lowest kinda slave manager............and, next, I spose you're gonna tell me they can't use their cell phones except at breaks.......and they'll have to watch soap operas on their own time............
WHYIOTTA!
Gil is so chomping at the bit. He retires next July. His job consists of trying to deal with entry-level salaries-so, he gets entry level employees, but Corporate slams Gil for not having responsible, caring, enthusiastic people! Most are relegated to part-time employment...so no bennies are necessary..........and you want these guys to CARE?
By this time next, if all goes well, we will be sitting in our new home at the Oregon Coast, where 'off to work" for Gil, will be crabbing for our dinner!  

Sorry, Chuck, we don't have a clue what you're dealing with..............but we wish you luck!!!!  

Cathi
IP Logged

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.
Brew
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Low Four!

« Reply #11 on: May 17th, 2008, 1:35pm »

on May 17th, 2008, 1:02pm, nani wrote:
I've been in and out of management positions for the last 30 years.
Frankly, I haven't found this to be the case. I'd have to say that 98% of the people I managed were great employees.

I only had to fire someone for performance once. The rest of the time, peer pressure either got the person on track or gave them a reason to leave on their own.

Yours is the exception, not the rule.
IP Logged

Always remember that you're unique, just like everyone else.
Mosaicwench
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Find joy in your day

WWW Email

« Reply #12 on: May 17th, 2008, 1:44pm »

I think I need to get a job . . . I'd work for you any day Chuckie, but the commute would kill me!

I'm every employer's dream - articulate, polite, punctual, and willing to go above and beyond.  And I haven't earned a paycheck in 16 years . . . .  

Maybe when Jrbrew gets his driver's license I can go back to contributing to our retirement . . . .  

Edited to remove the Fruedian slip . . .
« Last Edit: May 17th, 2008, 1:59pm by Mosaicwench » IP Logged

The difficulties of life are intended to make us better, not bitter. ~Author Unknown
notseinfeld
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Enough is Enough.        Vote Libertarian

krilldocument  
WWW Email

« Reply #13 on: May 17th, 2008, 5:51pm »

Having been a boss and having had a boss the mantra for me these days is:  
I don't want to have a boss and I don't want to be a boss.  

If however you're having to build a <ahem> team it might be wise to hear what Dave Ramsey has to say about his business infrastructure. He somehow retains good people who never want to leave and experiences monthly growth. If I had a link I'd surely supply one--sorries!
IP Logged

-----------Democracy is three wolves and a sheep voting on what's for dinner. ---------------------
M.R.
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Old Timer
USA 

kasper4157
Email

« Reply #14 on: May 17th, 2008, 5:57pm »

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,356505,00.html

I rest my case. Sometimes, bad shit happens. It isn't always some ones fault.  May be we should sue the parents for allowing their kid to play baseball.

Mike
« Last Edit: May 17th, 2008, 5:59pm by M.R. » IP Logged

Calling an illegal alien an undocumented immigrant is like calling a drug dealer a unlicensed pharmacist..
Charlie
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Happy to be here

135447360 135447360   mondocharlie   mondocharlie
Email

« Reply #15 on: May 17th, 2008, 8:02pm »

My relatives were young men and women during the depression. They made a nice enough living fixing things or selling the parts to do so...of course they lost and bought back the business and house a couole of times back then. Anyway, some things don't fit in an overtime situation. No one worked longer or harder than my father and grandfather. You couldn't depend on full weekends back then...things came up every now and then that needed attention. They had stag parties for the crew now and then as a thank you for the extra work. They were fun. No overtime was asked.  

Things ain't the same. You can't get change for a buck at the stores unless someone buys something so the drawer is open....sad effen times and goodwill went out the window when people get fired for any deviation from guidelines or policy. Discretion or initiative is taboo. No one has to be responsible that way.

Charlie
IP Logged

There is nothing more satisfying than being shot at without result---Winston Churchill
George_J
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

White-Breasted Nuthatch

Email

« Reply #16 on: May 17th, 2008, 8:08pm »

Fortunately, we haven't had to deal with much of this.  

EJ's business has only had one employee--their office manager--and she's been a very useful and hardworking person.  'Course it helps, I think, that they pay a very fair hourly rate for part-time work, and insisted on getting the best person they could find.

On the other hand, they've had a couple of interns who were basically furniture, or worse...to the extent that they've asked the local university not to send them any more interns.

Due to the nature of their business, they seem to use more contractors than anything else.  Archaeologists, cartographers, graphic artists, etc.  In many ways, it's an ideal relationship--if they perform well, they get future contracts.  If they don't, they're not asked back.  EJ and her partner have had good and bad relationships with contractors.

Obviously, using contractors is not something that will work for everyone, but it's worked out pretty well for them so far--with a few notable exceptions.

Best wishes,

George
IP Logged

Ah! The foreigners put on such airs
Wearing the tangerine suits
And their harlequin eyes.
The pain they inspire
Draws in harmonica melodies
And the feathers of birds
Which flame up at their touch.
It all comes to light in the sheer
Debonair.
(Ellen)
jimmers
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Hello GOD! The gene pool needs some chlorine!

« Reply #17 on: May 17th, 2008, 8:18pm »

When I had my own business, I always tried to make sure potential employees were married, had kids or both. They will usually tell you that sometime in the interview process. It is illegal to ask that question.

They have built in responsibilities already and seem more willing to work and LEARN!!!!!!!

Don't get me wrong, I had some pretty good young conscientious employees, but they are extremely hard to find.

And payday was always on Monday, that way I knew everyone would show up for work after the weekend
 Roll Eyes

Jimmers
IP Logged

I don't suffer from INSANITY; I'm enjoying every minute of it!
DonnaH_again
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Old Timer
USA 

Polly auditioning for American Idol.

Email

« Reply #18 on: May 17th, 2008, 10:32pm »

For a minute there, I thought you all lived in Florida  Cool
IP Logged

Are YOU on the hidgic score board yet? It's not easy! www.hidgic.com

Been here since Aug., 1999
zwibbs/Scott
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Stay Strong !!!

Email

« Reply #19 on: May 18th, 2008, 9:10am »

In this day and age all people are interested in is what coverage they will get--how many personal days, and how many vacation days. Is it any wonder why very little is PRODUCED in this country anymore.
IP Logged

There's always light at the end of the Tunnel.
debOUCH
New Board Veteran
USA 

..i think to myself, it's a wonderful world..

Email

« Reply #20 on: May 18th, 2008, 9:14am »

i see most of the problems in the younger generation, agreeing with helen......................itherein lies the faults with the parents who just keep giving, giving , giving..............my children have both worked since 14, and contnue to do so now, even while going to college..........majority of their friends do not have to work! thus who's fault!! They both even work for me for extra $, , in addition to reg jobs.WHY? BECAUSE I CANT GET HELP ON WEEKENDS.........they dont want to ruin their social life...........---- that!! YOU GOTTA C THE PEOPLE THAT COME TO THE TASTING ROOM LOOKING FOR A JOB!!!! unbelievable....................FYI..............ckout vineyard48winery.com!!
IP Logged
zwibbs/Scott
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Stay Strong !!!

Email

« Reply #21 on: May 18th, 2008, 9:41am »

Debouch that looks great--How far isa it from New Rochelle ?
IP Logged

There's always light at the end of the Tunnel.
debOUCH
New Board Veteran
USA 

..i think to myself, it's a wonderful world..

Email

« Reply #22 on: May 18th, 2008, 9:46am »

haha..........it is almost to Orient Point on the North Fork...............25 minutes from Orient!!! I live in Holbrook, exit 62 on LIE, and it is 40 miles from me!!!! PS.................i LOVE my job!!!! if i didnt wouldnt be there....................gta have a passion for what u do!!!
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss