Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 2nd, 2024, 12:35pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Windows, away »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   Daily Chat
   General Posts
(Moderator: DJ)
   Windows, away
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Windows, away  (Read 699 times)
sandie99
New Board Hall of Famer
Finland 

Wish it, dream it, do it - inspite the pain!

Windows, away
« on: May 19th, 2008, 11:15am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

We found out today that the window renovation will begin at our flat tomorrow morning. The time? Before 8 am. So it'll be early morning for us tomorrow...

Originally we were informormed that the window renovation will begin sometime late this month/early next month, but the company decided to begin it earlier. We live at the third floor and they begun the works at our floor today.

All the three huge windows will go and the balcony door will be changed, too. We need to pack our things from 1,5 meters wide area near the windows, which rather challenging at our bedroom because of lack of space!

So far the noise coming from other floors and flats has scared the hell out of Eetu and Kasper, so it will be interesting to see how they'll behave tomorrow. We are going to place their cage to the bath room, which is the only room in the flat where nothing happends, so they can be left in peace as much as possible.

Now, let's hope tha the weather will be a nice one and that everything goes smoothly - and as quick as possible.

Sanna
IP Logged

CH happends, Live anyway! PF days to us all!

"Do what you can and let God take care of the rest. Leave your heart wide open and always wish for the best" (Sanna Hillu)

"No matter how far out your dreams are, it's possible" (Marketa Irglova)

Karla
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

One of Many and Never Alone - Join OUCH

Karlak_1313  
Email

Re: Windows, away
« Reply #1 on: May 19th, 2008, 11:45am »

We have 26 windows in our house(I arrived at this at 3 single windows make up the one large window in our living room for example).  We are replacing all of them at the end of this month.  I have a ton of stuff by all these windows.  I am praying that it goes fast and painless.  I know it wil drive my dog nuts but it has to be done.  The new house we bought all the windows have broken seals and our heat bill this winter was ridiculous because all the heat escaped out.
IP Logged

Karla
suffer chronic ch
ch.com groupie since 1999
Proud Mom of Chris USMC Semper Fi
Mosaicwench
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Find joy in your day

WWW Email

« Reply #2 on: May 19th, 2008, 12:18pm »

We replaced all our windows in this house two years ago.  We had 12 double-hungs and then reworked the large picture window from 3, 4 foot panes to one 6 foot picture window with two 3 foot double hungs on the side.  

We live in a ranch so they did almost ALL of it from outside (except for the guy who went from window to window shimming and detailing).  It took less than 8 hours.

It was one of the best home improvements we ever did.  The energy cost savings was impressive, it's great to be able to open and lock all the windows, and the noise deadening was (and still is) exceptional.

You won't regret new windows.
IP Logged

The difficulties of life are intended to make us better, not bitter. ~Author Unknown
Kevin_M
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

withered branches grow green again.

« Reply #3 on: May 19th, 2008, 2:17pm »

Kasper:  I just don't know what all this noise and banging is and my tummy is upset.

Eetu:  That's just the townspeople erecting an ark, but only one of us can go along, a girl has to be the other one.

Kasper:  Of course they'll take me, I'm prettiest.  What are you going to do Eetu?

Eetu:  Well, those that don't go, I understand there's plans to build a Trojan horse.  We'll float on the water until they let us in, then jump out and give the others swimming lessons.

Kasper:  No Eetu, no!  Don't do it, that's evil forcing pretty people to learn!  

Eetu:  Ok, look.  We're first going to a quieter place, the bathroom, where the cardboard tissue rolls come from that you like to crawl through. There's a little shallow swimming bowl in there.  We'll take it slow, you get in, I'll control the handle to the little wave simulator that makes it go round and round.

Kasper: Ooooh, Sanna will be so proud of me showing her how smart I am.

Eetu:  Bright as a shiny doorknob through a new window on a sunny day!
IP Logged
Charlie
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Happy to be here

135447360 135447360   mondocharlie   mondocharlie
Email

« Reply #4 on: May 19th, 2008, 9:21pm »

I have dirty windows.  

Nothing like a rainbow.

Charlie
IP Logged

There is nothing more satisfying than being shot at without result---Winston Churchill
sandie99
New Board Hall of Famer
Finland 

« Reply #5 on: May 20th, 2008, 1:34am »

Ok, it has begun. It all begun 8.20 am and it's all banging and walking in here.  

Because we're renting this flat, we didn't get to hear why the window renovation is done right now, but I believe that it's being done because the house itself is old and the windows are original ones. But it will make the flat lot warmer, I hope, and save us some electricity expenses. Smiley

Good one, Kevin! Grin
Timo read it as well and he found it hilarious, too. Wink

Eetu and Kasper were terrified before the renovation begun. Eetu was freaking out and charing Kasper around the cage... But as we moved them to the bath room, he calmed down, which is great. We have to keep the bath room door closed so that the littleones won't catch the cold air and the door won't be on the way.

Sanna
IP Logged

"Do what you can and let God take care of the rest. Leave your heart wide open and always wish for the best" (Sanna Hillu)

sandie99
New Board Hall of Famer
Finland 

« Reply #6 on: May 20th, 2008, 2:57am »

(Okay, take it easy, just relax...)

It's been an hour and 30 minutes. The men have left, I have no idea why, where or for how long. They just vanished without saing a word! Timo went for a walk, I'm freezing on my own in here.

ONE window (bed room) has been changed. The kitchen window is taken away and the balcony door is open. I cannot close the kitchen nor the balcony doors, because the new windows are leaning on them. So it's COLD in here.

What freaked ME out was that one of those odd-looking machines the men use just begun to have some noise - on its own! I had no idea what it was doing or why, but it scared me for sure! Especially, because no one else is around and I have no idea when or if the men will return today.

And our front door is open.... I don't like this a bit...

Sanna
IP Logged

George_J
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

White-Breasted Nuthatch

Email

« Reply #7 on: May 20th, 2008, 3:06am »

Contractors.  Probably went out for a smoke break or brekkie, or something.

'Ware the sounding machinery.  I wouldn't mess with it, but I doubt that it will be actively hostile if left on its own.   Wink  

Tell Timo to get his butt back there.  Typical guy--stuff happens and he disappears.  LOL.  

I think you'll like your windows when they're finished.  You want an experience in total upheaval and disarray, try having your flooring replaced sometime.

Kevin, you totally crack me up.     Grin

Best,

George
IP Logged

Ah! The foreigners put on such airs
Wearing the tangerine suits
And their harlequin eyes.
The pain they inspire
Draws in harmonica melodies
And the feathers of birds
Which flame up at their touch.
It all comes to light in the sheer
Debonair.
(Ellen)
artonio7
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Home since 11/18/06

artonio9  

« Reply #8 on: May 20th, 2008, 12:40pm »

Sanna... I at least hope the construction workers are cute... Pics of the progress would be a nice touch... (avoid plumbers crack photos)

Wink

with warm regards,
Tony
IP Logged

Hope! http://artonio7.com
CH Pain Calendar Free Download
For artwork
sandie99
New Board Hall of Famer
Finland 

« Reply #9 on: May 20th, 2008, 12:54pm »

Luckily it's all over now... and it only took 6 hours! Grin  

Well, the men did take a half an hour break and one hour lunch break in between - but they did also clean up after themselves, which means: no need to begin the weekly cleaning tonight! Smiley Too bad that our bed room window is bit dusty, and it's placed in such a manner that washing it is pretty much impossible, which is irritating. But the main point is: we have new windows! It's done!

One interesting bit... While I was running some errans, one lady walk in to our flat - apparently a neighbour - who was annoyed about the dirty windows she had in her flat now and wanted to find out if the men know someone who could clean them! Wink Timo said that the lady just came in, without knocking or ringing the doorbell! Very uncommon behaviour, even in here.

And sorry, Tony, no cute pics to share! I was far too busy staying away from the way to take any. But don't worry, they weren't that cute, so you didn't miss a thing. Wink

Eetu and Kasper made it through okay, better than I thought, in fact. Eetu did growl each time we went to check on them, but that's it. I gave them lots of salad leafs, so they were spoilt rotten. Grin

Sanna
« Last Edit: May 20th, 2008, 1:01pm by sandie99 » IP Logged

Brew
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Low Four!

« Reply #10 on: May 20th, 2008, 2:08pm »

Growling guinea pigs.

Who'd a thunk it?
IP Logged

Always remember that you're unique, just like everyone else.
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss