Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 2nd, 2024, 4:04pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Anyone from Australia..........travel tips? »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   Daily Chat
   General Posts
(Moderator: DJ)
   Anyone from Australia..........travel tips?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Anyone from Australia..........travel tips?  (Read 626 times)
debOUCH
New Board Veteran
USA 

..i think to myself, it's a wonderful world..

Email

Anyone from Australia..........travel tips?
« on: May 19th, 2008, 12:50pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

My 19 yr old daughter, Sam , is travelling to Australia 5/27 -6/8, Touring, Melbourne & Brisbane, as well as playing in the "Lacrosse Down Under Cup Tour"..in Melbourne......she is traveling with USAAI.org/International Athletes Group...............any "helpful tips" on ANYTHING..........such as "must sees, food, safety, weather, (looks cto be cool)etc, would be appreciated...........she is so excited!
thanks
deb
« Last Edit: May 19th, 2008, 12:51pm by debOUCH » IP Logged
fubar
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

Re: Anyone from Australia..........travel tips?
« Reply #1 on: May 19th, 2008, 1:32pm »

To stay in contact, it helps to bring an unlocked cell phone that uses a SIM card (most do).  When you get there, you can buy a SIM card there and make/receive calls normally.  The phone number will be different, and international calls won't be cheap, but they won't be impossibly expensive like they are if you use your own cell phone plan or the hotel phone.

Use credit cards instead of cash or travelers checks.  The rate of exchange is usually a lot better.  Changing money at the airport is *expensive*.

Travel as light as possible.  There is so much crap people bring on trips they don't need.

Bring sunscreen and a hat.  Required equipment in Australia.

It's a long flight... stay hydrated and sleep as much as possible.  She'll arrive in the morning (most likely).  I have made that flight 20 times (at least).  You don't want to arrive tired.  It really helps to take shoes off for the whole flight.  Jet lag is avoidable... rest and hydration are the key.  Bring earplugs.

Australia is a GREAT place.  She is going to love it.

-Shawn
IP Logged

"He who has a why to live for can bear almost any how." -- Friedrich Nietzsche
debOUCH
New Board Veteran
USA 

Email

« Reply #2 on: May 19th, 2008, 2:12pm »

thanks for the tips Shawn! Sam is so excited!
IP Logged
mummymac
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Old Timer
United_Kingdom 

Kissed Donny Osmond and proud of it

mummymac  
WWW Email

« Reply #3 on: May 19th, 2008, 5:10pm »

No advice except what a great oppertunity for Sam, she will never forget this trip  weather it is good or bad.

I hope she has the very best of times no matter how her team fairs in the compition.

Oh to be young again
IP Logged

Tanya

Annette
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Australia 

Veni Vidi Velcro

Email

« Reply #4 on: May 19th, 2008, 5:58pm »

Deb, if she wants, PM me and I will give her my phone number so that she can call me anytime for anything while she is here.

I am in Sydney but I do have friends in Melbourne who can help her out if need be.

Buy phone cards, especially those cheap Chinese ones. They are on sale everywhere here. At the cost of the local call, you can dial their number and use their lines, its very very cheap. She can then call home to the US at the rate of $2 per hour.
IP Logged

Mediocrity knows nothing higher than itself; but talent instantly recognizes genius.
Arthur Conan Doyle
AussieBrian
New Board Hall of Famer
Australia 

Got beer?

« Reply #5 on: May 19th, 2008, 7:16pm »

Aussie beer is much stronger than American beer and we've seen many a visitor get in trouble by not realising it.  There are plenty of excellent mid-strenght beers available (Start with VB-mid.)

Drink-spiking in night-clubs is far from common, but it does happen. Just be aware of it.  

This is quite a safe country, especially by comparison to many others, but all the normal rules still apply. Go out with friends rather than on your own, don't walk down dark alleys at night, always have a taxi fare in your pocket etc.

Allow for Melbourne being pretty cool this time of year (winds fair to frightening) but Brisbane will be much warmer.  The Gold Coast and Surfer's Paradise are very popular amongst younger people and probably a must-see though I prefer the Sunshine Coast just to the north.

Wear your sunscreen and swim only between the flags.

Welcome.
IP Logged

Vulcrania horrendus - twice daily, then two at night in lieu of sleep.
BarbaraD
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Hugs to ya

Email

« Reply #6 on: May 19th, 2008, 7:43pm »

I was gonna say (and Brian beat me to it) CHECK THE WEATHER (I didn't and had to BUY appropriate clothes AFTER I got there).  

It's a great country and she'll have a great time. You can stop people on the street and ask a question and they'll be your new best friend. The people are wonderful.  

Enjoy.... wish I could go with you.....

Hugs BD
IP Logged

What don't kill ya, Makes ya stonger!

Barry_T_Coles
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Australia 

http://mushys.com/kiwi  
WWW Email

« Reply #7 on: May 19th, 2008, 8:15pm »

Everything everyone else has said; Melbourne is known for it’s four seasons in one day so be prepared to get up in the morning on a fine sunny day only to go to bed at the end feeling like you in a snow field, the weather is about as predictable as a chook with its head cut off.
Enjoy your stay in our great country & yes the locals are friendly.

Cheers
Barry
Here's a link to one of the cheaper call cards; my daughter uses them when she travels to Europe.

http://www.ozprepaidcards.com.au/talktomato-phone-card.asp
« Last Edit: May 19th, 2008, 8:27pm by Barry_T_Coles » IP Logged

Worry is like a rocking chair it gives you something to do but gets you nowhere.
http://mushys.com/kiwi

[img]
debOUCH
New Board Veteran
USA 

Email

« Reply #8 on: May 19th, 2008, 8:29pm »

tks everyone! am printing out to give to sam! ck ur PM's annette!
deb hug
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss