Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Mar 28th, 2024, 2:49pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « License Plate Theft »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   Daily Chat
   General Posts
(Moderator: DJ)
   License Plate Theft
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: License Plate Theft  (Read 2101 times)
ClusterChuck
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

The BEAST rises again, and again, and again, and .

Email

License Plate Theft
« on: May 22nd, 2008, 11:20pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I received this in an email, and sounds like it COULD be something that could start to be very common.

I checked on snopes, and they say it is not that prevelent.  BUT they wrote that back in July .. Things have changed a LOT since then, so it may become more prevelent ..

Anyhow, it is worth the warning

Quote:
A woman said her son found his license plate missing so he called the police to file a report.

They told him people were stealing the plates to get free gas.  Given the rise in gas prices, people have taken to stealing license plates, putting them on their car, then getting gas and running.  The gas station will have 'your' license plate # and you could be in trouble for 'pump and run.'  Check your car periodically to be sure you still have a plate.  If you should find it missing, file a report immediately!!!  Keep an eye on your license plate!  Make sure you always know it's there!  When the license plate is reported as the 'drive off vehicle,' it's YOU they contact!  Be aware!!!!  Be aware of your license plates, most of us never look to see if the plates are there or not.

Chuck
IP Logged

"No man can be happy without a friend, nor be sure of his friend till he is unhappy."
Thomas Fuller
fubar
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

Re: License Plate Theft
« Reply #1 on: May 22nd, 2008, 11:33pm »

At San Luis Obispo Airport, in long term parking, my 44 gallon diesel tank was drained completely dry. I didn't even have enough fuel to start it.  Time for a real locking fuel cap.
IP Logged

"He who has a why to live for can bear almost any how." -- Friedrich Nietzsche
Karla
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

One of Many and Never Alone - Join OUCH

Karlak_1313  
Email

« Reply #2 on: May 22nd, 2008, 11:40pm »

A friend of mine had this happen to them.  It does happen.  But not that frequently.
IP Logged

Karla
suffer chronic ch
ch.com groupie since 1999
Proud Mom of Chris USMC Semper Fi
Guiseppi
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #3 on: May 22nd, 2008, 11:56pm »

Happens a lot in San Diego but they steal them to put on their stolen cars so when we run the plates they don't show as stolen. They call it cold plating a hot car. Do report it when you find your plate missing!

Guiseppi
IP Logged

Why are all sensors, seeking intelligent life, pointed AWAY from earth?
Gator
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer

« Reply #4 on: May 23rd, 2008, 8:44am »

Wouldn't do them much good here.  At most stations here in Oklahoma, you either pay at the pump (via credit card) or you pre-pay inside and then pump your gas.  They don't just turn on the pumps and trust you to pay once you're finished.  Damned inconvenient when you are filling your tank and paying cash.  You have to go in and give them more than you think it will take and then go back in and get your change when you're done.

IP Logged
Cathi_Pierce
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Veteran
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #5 on: May 23rd, 2008, 8:53am »

OMG!  Shades of the old gas shortage days-does anyone else remember gas rationing, and all the illegal things going on JUST to get gas?
I remember, we bought a 2nd 'getaround car', since we could not count on our commuter car to make it to our next asignd gas day..........odd lic plates got all odd days of the month, even lic plates (when MY husband had to work) we  were sucking fumes..........
When things get tough, people get desperate. Keep a handle on what is yours...we have a bumpy road ahead.

BUT:
That said, locking gas caps are really hard on fingernails....

Cathi
IP Logged

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss