Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 18th, 2024, 2:05am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « hello from Iowa »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   Cluster Headache Help and Support
   Getting to Know Ya
(Moderator: DJ)
   hello from Iowa
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: hello from Iowa  (Read 335 times)
jpa
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

hello from Iowa
« on: Jan 12th, 2008, 4:29pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I've been reading on here for the last couple of weeks and thought it was time to introduce myself.

My name is james I am 27 and married with 2 kids. I raise cattle in south west Iowa. I have been having headaches for the last 7 1/2 years.
They are always on the right side right behind my eye. They last from 15 min. to several hours untreated, and leave me exhausted. Most of them hit in the middle of the night or when I am resting during the day. When they first started the cycle would last about 1 week then I would be PF several months. for the past 4 years I was getting  hit(Kip 8-10)  for 3-4 days in a row every month and have a daily minor headache. Since the middle of November I was getting hit a lot more often 4-9 times a week. This last week I never had any thing over a kip 4 so maybe this cycle is over for now.

I have tried Lyrica Verapamil Amitriptyline Inderal Topomax Propoanolol and doxipen as preventitves, I am currently still on the doxipen but am getting off it and might try verapamil again. The only thing that has ever worked to abort an attack is imitrex injections and oxygen. the O2 works about 80% of the time.
I think my neurologest still thinks they are migraines so I am going to see a different Dr. next month.

If they are just migraines would O2 even work?
IP Logged
Bob_Johnson
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

Re: hello from Iowa
« Reply #1 on: Jan 13th, 2008, 12:04pm »

Look at the cluster quiz button (left) and another self-test on the OUCH site. Might help you and the doc to decide what is going on.

If you don't have access to a doc with experience treating complex headaches, you might consider exploring your options.
----
1. Search the OUCH site (button on left) for a list of recommended M.D.s.

2. Yellow Pages phone book: look for "Headache Clinics" in the M.D. section and look under "neurologist" where some docs will list speciality areas of practice.

3.  Call your hospital/medical center. They often have an office to assist in finding a physician. You may have to ask for the social worker/patient advocate.

4. http://www.achenet.org  On-line screen to find a physician.

5. http://www.headaches.org/consumer/index.html Call 1-800-643-5552; they will send a list of M.D.s for your state.I suggest using this source for several reasons: first, we have read several messages from people who, even seeing neurologists, are unhappy with the quality of care and ATTITUDES they have encountered; second, the clinical director of the Jefferson (Philadelphia) Headache Clinic said, in late 1999, that upwards of 40%+ of U.S. doctors have poor training in treating headache and/or hold attitudes about headache ("hysterical female disorder"Wink which block them from sympathetic and effective work with the patient; third, it's necessary to find a doctor who has experience, skill, and a set of attitudes which give hope of success. This is the best method I know of to find such a physician.  
=====
Print use this as a discussion tool with the doc. Has the advantage of giving you some shared ideas to bat around.

http://www.plainboard.com/ch/chtherapy.pdf

Here is a link to read and print and take to your doctor.  It describes preventive, transitional, abortive and surgical treatments for CH. Written by one of the better headache docs in the U.S.  (2002)

IP Logged

Bob Johnson
rocketman3104
New Board Newbie
USA 

Fightin'em off, one at a time

Re: hello from Iowa
« Reply #2 on: Jan 13th, 2008, 12:06pm »

Welcome to the site!
IP Logged

Paul
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss