Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 18th, 2024, 2:06am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Introduce Myself »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   Cluster Headache Help and Support
   Getting to Know Ya
(Moderator: DJ)
   Introduce Myself
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Introduce Myself  (Read 411 times)
Stinger
New Board Junior
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Introduce Myself
« on: Jan 21st, 2008, 2:07pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I came in here under a different name several years ago, but quit for some reason.  My clusters started in 1989, but it wasn't until 1994 that I was diagnosed with CH.  I usually go 1 1/2 to 2 years between cycles, but this time it has almost been 3 years.  I thought they were gone for good.  Until last month.  They are slowly creeping back.  I retired 2 years ago.   One of my biggest problems in the past was getting through work with the headaches.  I walked out of meetings many times.  I would walk the parking lot a couple of times a day just to get away from people.  At least now I can stay at home and make my wife miserable during the attacks.  I am obviously not looking forward to the next 4 - 5 months.  Maybe with your help, I'll make it through the cycle once more.  Glad to meet all of you and I will try to make it back here often.
IP Logged
RichardN
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

lastchantsranch   babbleontn
Email

Re: Introduce Myself
« Reply #1 on: Jan 21st, 2008, 2:36pm »

Hi Stinger

What meds are you on?  Do you have 02?

Melatonin (OTC) helps many with the night hits.  Red Bull or other caffeine/taurine "energy" drinks slammed down as soon as you feel the hit coming seems to work for many of us.

I can't use Imitrex  (some artery blockage and high cholesterol), so 02 is my only abortive . . . can usually kill him in minutes if used early-on in the attack.

Let us know a little more  . . . what's worked in the past?, what hasn't?, etc.

Be Safe,    PFDANs

Richard
IP Logged

I can live with the beast as long as I don't have to "dance" with the bastard.
imfareware
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Veteran
USA 

Hello  Everyone!!

« Reply #2 on: Jan 21st, 2008, 4:08pm »

Hello, welcome back, and I hope your pain is over fast!  I got O2 finally with this bout of Ch's, and they have been barrable.  I'm almost through my cycle (AMEN).  Try Mellatonine at night a few hours before bedtime, it helped me.

Good luck.
IP Logged

Pain is temporary, Love is Permanent
Stinger
New Board Junior
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #3 on: Jan 21st, 2008, 6:58pm »

I am not on any meds yet.  When I retired I moved 300 miles from my doctor.  I called his office this morning, but he is not in until tomorrow.  I am going to ask him if he can recommend another doc in my area that understands CH. In the past I have taken prednisone, verapamil, stadol and Zomig.  The Zomig is great, but expensive.  I meant to try the o2 last cycle, but didn't.  I will this time.  Melatonin is helpful?  And energy drinks?  Anything is worth a shot.  Thanks guys.
By the way, I am 57, married for the second time.  2 Daughters are grown and have 2 granddaughters.
IP Logged
AussieBrian
New Board Hall of Famer
Australia 

Got beer?

« Reply #4 on: Jan 21st, 2008, 7:04pm »

There's a lot of people having great luck with Red Bull slammed down icy cold right the start of a hit.  Also, check out the Oxygen Info button just to the left of the screen.

Annoying the wife is also good therapy and reccommended by many leading CHeads.
IP Logged

Vulcrania horrendus - twice daily, then two at night in lieu of sleep.
Stinger
New Board Junior
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #5 on: Jan 21st, 2008, 7:22pm »

Thanks AussieBrian.  I will check out the unusual meds you mentioned.  Even with a headache I try to stay away from the wife, though.  LOL
IP Logged
Guiseppi
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #6 on: Jan 21st, 2008, 7:38pm »

Hey stinger, congrats on retirement, I envy you!

Aussie brian gave you some good tips. Many can abort a hit by slamming down an energy drink, rock star, monster, etc, any containing both caffeine and taurine, at the first sign of a hit. Some leave them open in the fridge so they go flat and they're easier to chug.

Melatonin is an over the counter supplement available at vitamin stores. Many can avoid the nite time terrors by taking 12-15 mg just before they go to bed at nite.

Get a doc to prescribe you oxygen. Read the link on the left and print out the info for your doc. 30 years of dancing and it's still my first line abortive. Wishing you luck and a short cycle!!!

Guiseppi
IP Logged

Why are all sensors, seeking intelligent life, pointed AWAY from earth?
Ray
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Ray and Shade

raymond759  
WWW Email

« Reply #7 on: Jan 21st, 2008, 8:02pm »

Stinger:

Avoid the Stadol, it's a narcotic and carries with it the risk of addition and rebound headaches.  Personally it made me an absolute b|+ch!

Ray
IP Logged

You have my prayers and compassion-I'm right there with you.

Dum tempus habemus, operemur bonum
*While we have the time, let us do good*

http://www.myspace.com/rayplace
http://www.shadesgarden.com
ronan76
New Board Newbie
Ireland 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #8 on: Jan 22nd, 2008, 9:20am »

I find the Zomig great.. although i'm a bit of a newbie to CH...
If you take it at the first sign of an attack it works within 15-20 mins for me.. but yes its expensive...

Also ask about cataflam.. I dont know much other than its an anti inflammatory but since i've started taking it.. (4 days ago) I get on average one attack in 24 hours as opposed to 3-4 every 24 hours... the doc reckons the headaches will eventually go... I'm hoping but not convinced..  

only thing is i dont feel great during the day at times.. bit nautious... low energy.. however that is probably a direct result of the headache the previous night..

best of luck to you !!!
I'll let you know if the cataflam works for me..
IP Logged
Stinger
New Board Junior
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #9 on: Jan 22nd, 2008, 11:22am »

I walked around like a zombie for 4 months while on Stadol.  I never felt an addiction, I guess because of the pain I was fighting.  No desire to take it after the headaches were gone.I am doing OK right now.  I have just started the headaches again, but they are not severe yet. I will try the Red Bull and I did take melatonin last night and didn't have a headache after going to bed.  I had one prior to bedtime, however.
IP Logged
Samurai
New Board Newbie
USA 

« Reply #10 on: Jan 22nd, 2008, 11:27am »

Welcome back Stinger, I can relate to you in a big way! I just had four years pain free, and I just about thought these things had forgotten me. This place has so much information on a multitude of treatments, avail yourself to the knowledge!!!
Jason
IP Logged
mummymac
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Old Timer
United_Kingdom 

Kissed Donny Osmond and proud of it

mummymac  
WWW Email

« Reply #11 on: Jan 22nd, 2008, 12:24pm »

Stinger welcome.

I am a newbie here and have found this place a wealth of information and help

Wishing you PFDAN

IP Logged

Tanya

Stinger
New Board Junior
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #12 on: Jan 22nd, 2008, 12:33pm »

I went down a few minutes ago and bought a Red Bull.  I am actually excited about that and the melatonin.  It gives me some hope and I am not quite as fearful of the next headache as I usually am.  Lets hope.
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss