Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 14th, 2024, 1:25pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Hi everyone, I'm back too. Any travel tips? »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   Cluster Headache Help and Support
   Getting to Know Ya
(Moderator: DJ)
   Hi everyone, I'm back too. Any travel tips?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Hi everyone, I'm back too. Any travel tips?  (Read 395 times)
playmesomeblues
New Board Newbie
USA 

Hi everyone, I'm back too. Any travel tips?
« on: Jan 24th, 2008, 10:51am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hi Everybody,
Well I have been incredibly fortunate to have had such a long break-2.5 years.  But they're back once more and the timing pretty much sucks: next wednesday I'm supposed to be on a plane to Thailand to study tai chi with a chinese taoist monk.  I must say I'm not looking forward to a 20hr flight with the beast.  Outbound could be ok 'cause I'm early on and its all just ramping up.  But the return on 2.14 could truly be a nightmare.  Anyone have any survival suggestions or recommendations for such an excursion?  Any experience with treatment options in Thailand?  I feel kinda stupid asking because I know so many of you suffer so much more than I do.  Still, I will appreciate your input.
Thank you,
Dave
IP Logged
Guiseppi
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

Re: Hi everyone, I'm back too. Any travel tips?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 24th, 2008, 11:03am »

When I absolutely, positively have to be pain free.... Grin I use prednisone. It's strictly a short term med as it has some nasty side effects to it. At 30 mg a day I can pretty much stay pain free. I use a 2 week taper of pred when my cycle starts up, while I ramp up on my preventative medication, lithium. I have been known to horde my prednisone and save it for situations like this where for a short period of time, a week or less, I absolutely can't get hit. Special anniversary trips etc.  

Do you have a preventative medication that works well for you? Do you have imitrex injectables or can you get the doc to prescribe them for you? They're a little pricey but very effective, I carry mine on the plane with me. They've opened them at screening and never given me any flack about them. Good luck, many on the board have posted abut a fear of flying because something abouth the flights is a trigger for them.

Guiseppi
IP Logged

Why are all sensors, seeking intelligent life, pointed AWAY from earth?
playmesomeblues
New Board Newbie
USA 

« Reply #2 on: Jan 24th, 2008, 11:12am »

Thanks Guiseppi.  Yes I've got both the Imitrex injectible and the pills.  And I share that fear of flying-have had some really nasty bouts on even short flights.  I've restarted melatonin andI'm planning to pick up some kudzu this evening.  I haven't tried it before, but what I've read here is encouraging.
Dave
IP Logged
chewy

Email

« Reply #3 on: Jan 24th, 2008, 11:29am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Carry the injectables on board and eliminate your fears.
IP Logged
Bob_Johnson
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #4 on: Jan 24th, 2008, 11:32am »

If you have found Zyprexa aborts an attack for you, then that's the route. Taking a pill on the plane is easier than an injection.
IP Logged

Bob Johnson
playmesomeblues
New Board Newbie
USA 

« Reply #5 on: Jan 24th, 2008, 11:44am »

I haven't tried zyprexa or verapamil or any of those.  O2, imitrex, prednisone are all I've ever tried.  Pred. really did nothing for me.  Back to researching all the medication posts!
IP Logged
thebbz
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Ow,Ow,Ow

Email

« Reply #6 on: Jan 24th, 2008, 12:20pm »

Read this one. It's not for everyone.
clusterbusters.com
Good luck on the trip. Carry a couple of red bulls with ya.
thebb
IP Logged

It wasn't me I didn't do it
imfareware
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Veteran
USA 

Hello  Everyone!!

« Reply #7 on: Jan 24th, 2008, 12:58pm »

Once you get there try accupunture if one sets in, I went for treatment for about 1 week, and my CH cycle disappeared.  Good luck!
IP Logged

Pain is temporary, Love is Permanent
playmesomeblues
New Board Newbie
USA 

Cancelled trip
« Reply #8 on: Jan 28th, 2008, 11:00am »

Yeah, I cancelled the Thailand trip.  I couldn't arrange any O2 on the ground and I think 20 hours of flying across timezones would have been hell.  I think they could have helped me once I got there, but it would have been sucked from weds-friday....

You know what else blows? People who don't understand these things, looking at me like I'm a baby for not going anyway. You'd think I'd be used to that by now. $^#*$&*#.

Which makes me appreciate all of you even more.  Thanks for reading through my venting....
David
IP Logged
LeLimey
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Great_Britain 

OUCH-US - Less "ME" and more "WE"

lelimey  
WWW Email

« Reply #9 on: Jan 28th, 2008, 11:36am »

David there is another triptan called Frovatriptan which is absolutely flippin' useless as an abortive BUT - it's brilliant when used as a preventative. I always use it when flying.

It has a half life of up to 26 hours and you can take two in a 24 hour period as per any other triptan.  

Hope it helps
Helen
IP Logged

The arsehole I'm divorcing needs to get a life and stop stalking mine

playmesomeblues
New Board Newbie
USA 

« Reply #10 on: Jan 28th, 2008, 11:44am »

Thanks Helen, I'd never heard of that one before!
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss